Which Mesa head/comb has the best clean and great overdrive?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glahnb

Reaction score
I'm looking for a channel switcher. I have looked at the rectifiers, tremoverbs, and lone star series, but can't try any before buying.

Which has the nicest cleans, but still great distortion. By distortion, I mean toolish tones. I already have a copy of a jcm800, so my Marshall bases are covered.

If it's a head, it needs to sound good thourgh my zinky 2x12 with G12H30s, otherwise a combo is fine.

Under $1000 used preferred.

Thanks.

glahnb said:
I'm looking for a channel switcher. I have looked at the rectifiers, tremoverbs, and lone star series, but can't try any before buying.

Which has the nicest cleans, but still great distortion. By distortion, I mean toolish tones. I already have a copy of a jcm800, so my Marshall bases are covered.

If it's a head, it needs to sound good thourgh my zinky 2x12 with G12H30s, otherwise a combo is fine.

Under $1000 used preferred.

Thanks.
Have a look at the F-50 and Rectoverb. IMO, the F-series has the best cleans Mesa offers (yes, including the Lone Star) and the overdrive is much better for Tool tones. The Rectoverb's clean is good, and has than Recto crunch if that's your thing. They're both about the same price used as a head.

Here's THE F-series thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856

if you want old Tool, just get a 2ch rectifier. adam jones used to use rectifiers. however, if you want good cleans, youll need a 3ch rectifier. however, you're going to sacrifice some tightness and clarity on the distortion channels. current Tool is a Diezel (EL34). The mesa can sound can sound kinda close, but not really.

Believe me, the cleans on a Recto-Verb aren't that good. The Roadster or the Road King II cleans are stunning but are very expensive. Try a Rivera.

Elpelotero said:
. The mesa can sound can sound kinda close, but not really.

lol I want to try out a Diezel VH-4 so badly. Well...i sorta do sorta don't, i'm afraid if i try one out, i'm undoubtedly going to want it...and with the $4500 price tag, that's not coming in the near future....oh well. something to look forward to i guess, haha.

-AJH

Roadster. I'm still blown away at how awesome the cleans and high gain channels are.Its crucial also that the right guitar with the right pickups is being used to achieve the versatility this amp has.

Around $1000....... Hummmmmmm

Of course the Roadster is about $1000 more than that... so other options would be:

* F-Series - (F-50 is a good one)
* Tremoverb - (F-Series has a better clean)
* Rectoverb - but not a real good clean channel
Thats about it

Thanks for the tips. Is it correct to say the lone star series does not have the distortion of the rectifiers?

I have read mixed reviews of the F-100s too.

glahnb said:
Thanks for the tips. Is it correct to say the lone star series does not have the distortion of the rectifiers?

I have read mixed reviews of the F-100s too.

you would be correct. the losestar at most will get you some semi-heavy crunch. almost like a marshall plexi? not much heavier than vintage rock.

MesaENGR412 said:
Elpelotero said:
. The mesa can sound can sound kinda close, but not really.

lol I want to try out a Diezel VH-4 so badly. Well...i sorta do sorta don't, i'm afraid if i try one out, i'm undoubtedly going to want it...and with the $4500 price tag, that's not coming in the near future....oh well. something to look forward to i guess, haha.

-AJH
vh4 is overall a great amp, i tried it, but you can not dial in many great sounds per channel... cleans are deep and have a sort of hi-fi feeling. Distortion is really amazing but to me it won't never have the character and the vibe of a mesa. Some say it sounds solidstateish... i've never heard a solid state amp sounding half as good, but i must say it actually lacks a bit of that all-valve amp vibe...

glahnb, i suggest you a used f-series if you want to stay under $1000. But remember also of mark series: better cleans than rectifier (not talking about road king or roadster) and great thick distortion even if not so brutal as a recto. Actually, however, i heard about a person here who said a mkIV ould become nastier than a recto with a 4x12..but they are different tones anyway.

oyster said:
Roadster.
oh well, sorry. I thought roadster was much more than $1000 in usa (surely in italy it will go for 3000 euros or so!)... but if you find one for that price (since there are people suggesting it between the options, like oyster) i would definitely suggest buying it.

For some reason I don't comprehend yet, The Hearbreaker does not get mentioned much around here, but I have a 2x12 combo an I love it. I has great cleans nice overdrive and with a tube screamer sounds beast-not a modern rec sound-but with el34s more plexi like. I really love it-and it only cost a grand, used. That being said, I just bought a Roadster.

I second the "used f-series"

why? Because its the only amp you can afford that will do your job, of Tool(ish) tones. And if your okay with Tools early clean tones Adam Jones just rolled off the volume of his Gibson, there was never a channel changed, he swears by Meas cabs.

Adam Jones's best tones where during Aenima when he relied heavily on a Duel Rec (mixed with a marshall bassman and later a diezel vh4). I love Tool, ive played the F-100, its a good head, and the best deal for $1000.

Thanks. I should explain more. My Fargen Olde 800 is my main go to amp. But it's a souped jcm800. It can do that tone, shades of jtm45/plexi, and that's it.

So I shouldn't say Tool tones only, I just want an amp with a dedicated clean channel that sounds good, and distortion that isn't marshally. I would like this new amp to be able to do the soaring, thick, singing lead tone, plus the heavy crunch that sounds more modern than jcm800s. I think the jcm800s are for that ac/dc type solo, the prickly sound, like a scratchy old dog collar, if that makes sense. Mesas to me are more saturated, liquidy. It is also crucial that it will work with my closed back zinky 2x12, which has 2 g12H30s.

I think a heartbreaker or F series might work. I am a big fan of the verve, and I know nick mccabe used a heartbreaker.

My plan is to use a headswitcher to give me the best of all worlds.

Thanks thus far.

glahnb said:
Thanks. I should explain more. My Fargen Olde 800 is my main go to amp. But it's a souped jcm800. It can do that tone, shades of jtm45/plexi, and that's it.

So I shouldn't say Tool tones only, I just want an amp with a dedicated clean channel that sounds good, and distortion that isn't marshally. I would like this new amp to be able to do the soaring, thick, singing lead tone, plus the heavy crunch that sounds more modern than jcm800s. I think the jcm800s are for that ac/dc type solo, the prickly sound, like a scratchy old dog collar, if that makes sense. Mesas to me are more saturated, liquidy. It is also crucial that it will work with my closed back zinky 2x12, which has 2 g12H30s.

I think a heartbreaker or F series might work. I am a big fan of the verve, and I know nick mccabe used a heartbreaker.

My plan is to use a headswitcher to give me the best of all worlds.

Thanks thus far.

I use a headbone by radial engineering . Its a great head switcher .

I don't know about all the talk about the cleans not being good on the Rectoverb. I have one and the cleans are great. I have had many amps including Fender, Bogner, Marshall, Budda, other Mesa's so I do have something to campare to. I play mostly Classic Rock and the Rectoverb sounds great to me.

You could always give a series 1 Stiletto a chance. I'm not kidding, 50watt mode, spongy, and fluid drive mode. You have to dial it in just right but its no different than any other Mesa. Sounds alot like the Tool sounds you are looking for, and well under $1K. Not to mention that I personally love the clean channel. Velvet smooth baby!! That and its a killer looking head. Cant go wrong. Just my .02

The Stilettos are more in the marshall vein right? I bet they'd sound good with my G12H30s. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back