Which MESA 212 Cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco Stiletto

Reaction score
If you were to buy just one MESA 212 Cab, which would you choose?

a) Rectifier 212

b) Roadster/Stiletto 212

I'm looking into a Roadster Head. I tried it with a Rectifier 212 and it was great. Curious as to how the smaller cab sounds. Thanks!

w/ 6l6 I prefer the recto, with el34 I use the stelitto for my roadster.

I couldn't decide so I got the both.

i have a recto 2x12 that i use with my roadster.
i put one EV in it, and kept one v30 in it, and i think it sounds way better than with 2 v30's. much less of that trademark v30 sizzle. it sounded less congested, with much more clarity and over all more balanced tone wise.

Neither

I bought 2 Celestion V30 speakers and had a cab made the same size as the Roadster. I had the electrics rigged so I can do the following

1) run speaker on my 5:50 combo alone
2) run the Cab alone
3) run the 5:50's speaker plus the Cab. That's 3 speakers & gives significantly better sound plus I can use the 5:50 as an on-stage monitor.
4) run it in Stereo so I can plug in 2 guitars or guitar/keyboard or guitar/mic etc.

That cost me 40% of the price of a Mesa Cab, sounds better, doubles the versatility and I had inset carry handles put in both sides :lol:

I bought a Rectifier 212 Cab today at GC and it's awesome. I'll be adding a Roadster Head soon. I've had Stiletto Ace, F-100, and Lonestar 50/100 & Special Combos, but I'm moving on to the Head/212 Cab setup. I wish I'd done this a few years ago. Much easier to transport and sounds great.

I purchased my Roadster Head last night. It's amazing! The best amp I've ever purchased (and I've had many). The Rectifier 2X12 Cab is a great match for my tones and playing style. I couldn't be happier.

I'd love to hear a 212 recto cab with my Roadster! I wonder what a V30 would sound like in a thiele cab? I've currently got two EV loaded thieles and while they sound great, I can't help but think I'm missing out on a V30's tone!

Nice gear list Rocco!!!!!

MusicManJP6 said:
I'd love to hear a 212 recto cab with my Roadster! I wonder what a V30 would sound like in a thiele cab? I've currently got two EV loaded thieles and while they sound great, I can't help but think I'm missing out on a V30's tone!

yes you are...get a recto cab! move forward man. keep those thieles for the mark lovers;) ......just joking.

Haha - you're not too far off! I used to have a Mark IV shorthead... :)

Anyone want to trade an EV loaded thiele for a 212 recto cab?

MusicManJP6 said:
Haha - you're not too far off! I used to have a Mark IV shorthead... :)

Anyone want to trade an EV loaded thiele for a 212 recto cab?

Good decision on upgrading to recto 2x12

clutch71 said:
Rectifier 212

You recommended the 212 for the thread starter and I'm also in the market for buying a roadster and a suitable cab for it but since you have both the rectifier 2x12 (was it the horizontal or slant?) and 4x12, could you englighten us/me what's the major difference in the sounding? Does the 2x12 retain the heavy bottom withouth getting too blurry etc.

existenz said:
clutch71 said:
Rectifier 212

You recommended the 212 for the thread starter and I'm also in the market for buying a roadster and a suitable cab for it but since you have both the rectifier 2x12 (was it the horizontal or slant?) and 4x12, could you englighten us/me what's the major difference in the sounding? Does the 2x12 retain the heavy bottom withouth getting too blurry etc.

The 2x12 is horizontal. I keep it at work for an auditorium I have access to. The 4x12 stays at the house except for about once every two or three months. I take it to the auditoruim as well and combine it with the 2x12. Very nice.

To answer your question yes the 2x12 retains it's bottom end. In fact to my ears it stays tighter than the 4x12. It's probably my favorite cab. At extreme volumes (and I mean extreme concert level volumes) it doesn't hold up as well by itself. But for low to mid range volumes I prefer it over the 4x12.

The the 4x12 slant obviously moves more air and adds a different sound to the tone pallet. The head basically came with the 4x12 when I bought it. In previous test drives I have prefered the 4x12 straight. I have the 4x12 for sale now but I'm keeping the 2x12. I'm looking to sell off my 2ch DR and 4x12 to partially finance a new Roadster. I'll either pick up another 2x12 or 4x12 straight or Stiletto 4x12 straight down the road.

clutch71 said:
At extreme volumes (and I mean extreme concert level volumes) it doesn't hold up as well by itself. But for low to mid range volumes I prefer it over the 4x12.

So it does it's job on band rehearsals but I need a cab that I can use on my concert gigs also. So maybe the recto 2x12 slant could be it. I really don't need it to be extremely loud but loud enough to hear through the mix in concerts. Another thing is that we almost always mic it anyway so...

Latest posts

Back