Which Mark II is this? PLEASE HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingdomheights777

Reaction score
Ok guys, a buddy of mine told me he had an old boogie at home in his garage in a road case. So I went over and checked it out, he told me he hasn't taken it out in about 15 years. Its in pretty brutal shape, but sound did come out, some channels didn't work the sliders tough to move. It needs a major overhaul, the transformers are rusted etc. But anyways, I looked the whole thing over and I could not tell which Mark II it is. Also can it be sent to boogie to get totally overhauled and upgraded (2C+) or what could be done to get it up to pristine condition.
the date on the inside said 6/17/79

What would it be worth if i was to offer him money for it?

0823091327.jpg

0823091328.jpg

I'd say a IIa based on the 1979 date. What's the serial number? Is it a Simul-class or 100/60 watt version? A toggle switch on the front should reveal that. To be sure, one of the transformers should have "Simul" stamped on the bottom. There will also be some magic marker writing on the left (?) side of the chassis, but you'll need to remove the chassis from the cabinet to find that.

No, it cannot be upgraded to a C+ as the preamp board necessary for the job is no longer available.

Mesa (or any knowledgeable amp tech, some of whom are on this board) can also perform an overhaul.

On a positive note, it is a wide-body Mark II, which is pretty rare. In this configuration, it should have a 15" speaker.

dodger916 said:
Looks like a IIA.

No, it can not be upgraded to a C+ as the preamp board necessary for the job are no longer available

thanks, but is it able to be totally overhauled if he sent it back to boogie?

kingdomheights777 said:
dodger916 said:
Looks like a IIA.

No, it can not be upgraded to a C+ as the preamp board necessary for the job are no longer available

thanks, but is it able to be totally overhauled if he sent it back to boogie?
Hard to say without a complete diagnosis. However, I would think a "total overhaul" is within the reach of a good amp tech, who should be able to restore all features to working condition. Bear in mind that not all the original components are available, so even in restored condition, it probably won't command the price of an original.

The big question is how much is he willing to spend, because it could get pricey.

It's a mk IIb. It's got a FX loop. Take it to a Tech. Get it cleaned up,new tubes and new cap's.things like pots and inductors may need replacing as well. send it to mesa if you can.

going to the short shell head only is a great suggestion.

if you already have a cab that you like, then simply augment it with the head, which will be WAY easier to carry around.

i had my IIb recapped for about $60 here locally, by a boogie authorized repair man.

i only had caps, no transformers. but a repair guy can put a scope on the transformers and tell you whether they need to be replaced or not, sure, there's going to be stuff that has to be done, and cleaned, and replaced, but it'd be a hell of an amp head once that's done.

GTS does great work.

Without doubt, it is a II-A. It has no FX loop, just a patch point between preamp and poweramp.
As it is a II-A, it has no SimulClass option.

To answer your questions, it is a 60/100 watter 1x15 Mark II-A combo. There is no way you can upgrade it to a C+ since Mesa run out of those PCB.

Looks like the speaker is a square-magnet Eminence, you could confirm it by yourself if you see that the model number (printed in green at the back of the speaker) starts with the number 67.

If I were him, I would send the chassis and the reverb tank (if it has it) to Mike Bendinelli.
Regards
Daniel

gts said:
Call Mesa boogie and ask them about going through the amp, doing a general maintenance run through fixing anything they find. If you know of specific issues tell them about them and see what they say about doing the repair.
When you call ask to speak to Rich in repairs to get an RA number (repair authorization). You might also ask to speak with head tech who will be doing the repair Mr. Mike Bendenelli.

These people can best answer many of your questions.

It looks like a "Big Brother" combo (a widebody chassis in combo form with a 15" speaker)
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/Boogie15.html

If you want to have the cab redone contact me.
Or if you'd prefer to put it in a headshell (1/2 the weight of carrying around a combo) here's some I've made that are available that would work for this amp:

Purple Tolex (Like Marshall)

PurpleBroncoColiLonghead02_resize.jpg

Black Bronco

BlackBroncoColiLonghead01_resize.jpg

Wine Red Taurus

WineRedColiLonghead02_resize.jpg

Black Taurus

BlackTaurusColiseumLongHead02_resiz.jpg

Can these fit the standard mark 3 combo with the ev12L. How much do they cost, i love the workman ship. Ive wanted to convert mine to a head for a while.

boogiemanmark3 said:
Can these fit the standard mark 3 combo with the ev12L. How much do they cost, i love the workman ship. Ive wanted to convert mine to a head for a while.
Your question is a bit confusing. His head cabs will fit a standard Mark III chassis, irrespective of the speaker used in the combo cabinet. Mesa did not change the chassis dimensions for the 12-L.

Am I misreading your question?

dodger916 said:
boogiemanmark3 said:
Your question is a bit confusing. His head cabs will fit a standard Mark III chassis, irrespective of the speaker used in the combo cabinet. Mesa did not change the chassis dimensions for the 12-L.

Am I misreading your question?

Not at all, you answered me. I just assumed that the 15in speaker version may have been bigger than the 12 inch version. I have a purple stripe mark 3 simul-class combo runnin 4 6550's and i run that into the ev for small shows and my 2x12 for bigger shows. The **** mesa so heavy i would just prefer to have it in a head and walk with the 2x12 :) So from what you are saying these will fit which is great. 2 more questions
1 is it as easy as taking my chasis out and bolting it into the head box?
2 Whats the cost?

boogiemanmark3 said:
Not at all, you answered me. I just assumed that the 15in speaker version may have been bigger than the 12 inch version. I have a purple stripe mark 3 simul-class combo runnin 4 6550's and i run that into the ev for small shows and my 2x12 for bigger shows. The **** mesa so heavy i would just prefer to have it in a head and walk with the 2x12 :) So from what you are saying these will fit which is great. 2 more questions
2 Whats the cost?

1. Yes, it's that easy. Installing my C+ (from a rack) into George's head was THE first such installation I'd ever done. It was as easy as scrambling eggs...almost disappointingly easy! :wink: The head will slide in the cabinet and rest on the supports. I found his dimensions to be perfect for an easy installation. Just drop in the screws and turn. He supplies the screws, which are correct for the holes in the chassis (provided such holes have not been modified).

2. I can't answer that other than to say he was less expensive than Mesa or other builders I looked into.

George's workmanship is as good as it gets. He provides a larger cut-out in the front to facilitate preamp tube rolling. In my case, my C+ was an upgrade from a IIA. The chassis for the IIA is slightly different than the later Mark IIs and IIIs. George knew this and drilled the mounting holes in the perfect locations. Frankly, his product exceeded my expectations. He's also a pleasure to deal with and has a passion for these things. It's like having a good friend make you something.

dodger916 said:
boogiemanmark3 said:
2 Whats the cost?

1. Yes, it's that easy. Installing my C+ (from a rack) into George's head was THE first such installation I'd ever done. It was as easy as scrambling eggs...almost disappointingly easy! :wink: The head will slide in the cabinet and rest on the supports. I found his dimensions to be perfect for an easy installation. Just drop in the screws and turn. He supplies the screws, which are correct for the holes in the chassis (provided such holes have not been modified).

2. I can't answer that other than to say he was less expensive than Mesa or other builders I looked into.

George's workmanship is as good as it gets. He provides a larger cut-out in the front to facilitate preamp tube rolling. In my case, my C+ was an upgrade from a IIA. The chassis for the IIA is slightly different than the later Mark IIs and IIIs. George knew this and drilled the mounting holes in the perfect locations. Frankly, his product exceeded my expectations. He's also a pleasure to deal with and has a passion for these things. It's like having a good friend make you something.

That sounds great, do i just p.m. him? or does he have an email?

Latest posts

Back