Which is the better Grab-N-Go? Express 5:25 vs Fender DRRI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
The Mesa costs about $500 more -- which would be the better grab & go combo? Guitar (maybe a delay pedal) and amp, that's it.

The DRRI list for $850 at our local stores and the 5/25 is $1050. Only $200 difference. Anyhow, as a grab and go I don't see how you could go wrong with the 5/25. Yes Fender has a really sweet clean and one of the best reverbs I've heard, but it's just not as versatile and is much bigger than the 5/25. Also you'll need a pedal for any kind of distortion.

The 5/25 can put out just about any sound you like except for all out metal. A smaller package, more power (5 watts class A), more versatile, four channels, better built, etc.

The DRRI is still one of my favorite amps of all time and is great for what it does, but if your going to have one amp to pack around and do it all the 5/25 has allot more to offer IMO.

I have a 20% off coupon from MF, so my price will be around $678.00; and as you know Mesa' can't be discounted.

Plus I have a slew of pedals to fill the tone gaps.

The 5:25 has 2 channels (not 4) with 2 modes in each channel (not footswitchable).

BTW the DRRI is bigger but not heavier ....they're about the same.

I was leaning towards the 5:25, but almost extra $500 for the Mesa has me stopped dead in my tracks.

All of your points are valid. But the DRRI dances circles around the 5:25's clean channel....and I have a Fulltone FD2 for leads, BB Preamp/and a TS808 for the mid gain tones, and a Keeley Compressor. That is $$$ already spent.

But ideally, my definition of grab and go is to not have to carry the pedals around...Just amp, guitar (and a Delay --- at most).

So, I may have to look to something else to spend my 20% off coupon...

Undecided right now.

vermillion said:
How does one go about obtaining a 20% off coupon to MF?

It is a carryover from the the Black Friday Sale...where the item I ordered...all of of sudden got back ordered after being promised a before XMAS delivery date...(back ordered to 03/2008). So I cancelled ordered but was allowed to keep the coupon until 02/11/2008.

Still deciding what to use my 20% coupon on too, anywho, I'd go for the Fender at that price difference. I'm doing a similar thing, but I'm going for the Fender Champion 600 RI and just gonna run my BB preamp and a delay in front of it for a nice, cheap portable practice rig (that little 5 watt monster puts out some tone). Putting together a small pedal board and daisy chain power supply will still be cheaper than going for the express.

5:25: Great idea, but not so great tone. It tries to be everything, but not good at one thing. And, it's pricey!

enigma said:
5:25: Great idea, but not so great tone. It tries to be everything, but not good at one thing. And, it's pricey!

Good point.....those were my son's (and wife) observations as well.

Looks I like I am going the DRRI route.

enigma said:

Well at least good at one thing..., to be here front of me! :wink:

RW

He he, very interesting! Have to listen to it...
I'm also wondering if the 12" cab has the same size than the 10"?

PC Biz said:
Mesa released a 5:25 with a 12" speaker at NAMM last week. That makes a huge difference sonically. Even in the noisey atmosphere, I could tell that the 12" speaker is a big improvement over the 10".

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

Dang, great post...I did not know this. It's funny cause, as I A/B'd both amps at home, I kept saying to myself, if only the Express had a 12" speaker -- that wasn't the 5:50....it could make up the gap sonically with the DRRI.

I'll have to call Mesa to get more info on the 1x12 version (cab size, speaker choice - hopefully not the C90 - price)

JAZZGEAR said:
I'll have to call Mesa to get more info on the 1x12 version (cab size, speaker choice - hopefully not the C90 - price)

It should be not very much more than the diff. price between both speakers. Of course if the cab itself it's the same size, but still that the 5:50 having 1 * 12" and bigger everything is not very much more expensive...

Oh Haaaail No! :shock:

Just spoke to Marcus at MB to ask about the 1x12 5:25 Cabinet size and he confirmed it is going to be in the same 5:50 1x12 Cab.

That is a deal breaker for me. To me, the appeal of the 5:25 was not it's stellar tone, but the weight and form factor. In fact, I am typically not enamored with EL84s (unless the amp is a Bogner Metropolis).

I much rather stick to the less expensive DRRI with it's one trick of superior cleans....and a small pedal board :x

If you plan to use pedals with it anyway ... why not save some more money and get a Hot Rod Deluxe. It's only 3 pounds heavier. If you aren't going to go for a Twin or Super ... I prefer the HRDX for cleans over any of the other less expensive Fenders.

JAZZGEAR said:
Oh Haaaail No! :shock:

Just spoke to Marcus at MB to ask about the 1x12 5:25 Cabinet size and he confirmed it is going to be in the same 5:50 1x12 Cab.

That is a deal breaker for me. To me, the appeal of the 5:25 was not it's stellar tone, but the weight and form factor. In fact, I am typically not enamored with EL84s (unless the amp is a Bogner Metropolis).

Are you sure Marcus wasn't talking about the extension cab? The Feb 2008 pricelist lists the 1x10 and 1x12 amps at 19" wide whereas the 5:50s are 22 7/8 and 26 3/4 inches for the medium and long heads respectively.

The 5:25 1x10 is still available. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

He clearly told me that the new 1x12 5:25 is in the same cab as the 5:50. And yes, the 1x10 is still available.

I might as well go with the 5:50....before going the 5:25 1x12...as it is I'm not a bog fan of the El84s (except for the Bogner Metropolis.....that amp is phenomenal blows away the LSS IMHO in tone, though not as versatile)

Not to change the subject too much, but if anyone ever has a valuable coupon (i.e. 20% off) with no intent to use it -- please send it to good ol verm.

Back