Which is the best Mesa Boogie Recto head to get?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Lugo

Reaction score
I'm in a session and we are looking for a sound similair to the new Nickelback.

What year/era/model Rectifier head is the way to go?

Dual/Triple?

Cab/speakers?

Guitar/pickup?

I currently have a few Les Pauls, how would they work?

Thanks

James Lugo said:
I'm in a session and we are looking for a sound similair to the new Nickelback.

What year/era/model Rectifier head is the way to go?

Dual/Triple?

Cab/speakers?

Guitar/pickup?

I currently have a few Les Pauls, how would they work?

Thanks

I believe they use Stilettos as well

PRS and Gibson they used as guitars. they mainly used triples with a tradition 4x12 and a cab loaded with 75's. i am assuming 1960a, but have no proof of it. but i could have sworn he said marshall. may have used stillletos for some of the lead works that were doen, but he said it was 100% triple. if you are going to a real studio where you can open that bad thing up properly then go for it.

they use both the older and newer models of rectifiers. I usually see them with the newer models though--the 3channels--so you may want to go with that. a lot of their sound lies in their guitars, though! so don't be fooled into thinking any guitar will get you that sound. The combination of the Prs and the gibsons w. emg's give them their unique sound. I wouldn't be surprised if their amps have different tubes, at the very least, or have been modded.

as far as cabs, i'm pretty sure on their website it says they use the oversized cabs.

No offense dude, but if you want to sound like Nickelback please put down your guitar now, all the modern rock bands sound exactly like. Be a true musician and sound like you, not someone else wannabe.

But if you still want to sound like the most overated band of all time then go with the mesa boogie roadking, this is currently one of the most popular studio amps cause you can get any sound out of it you want.

Nickelback = the death to real rock n roll!!!

Nathan,

I'm a record producer, I'm under the gun from a label for a specific sound. This is my job buddy, I'm no weekend warior.

James Lugo said:
Nathan,

I'm a record producer, I'm under the gun from a label for a specific sound. This is my job buddy, I'm no weekend warior.

PRS into Mesa Dual Rec into Mesa 4x12 recto oversized cab.
Dial out the mids, crank the bass and treble, use 1-2pm on the presense knob.

These settings basically sound awful but it will get you the sound you want for the record, don't shoot the messenger :)

I hate the band, but I actually think generally, Nickelback's albums sound pretty good. They're HEAVILY produced, but it's not like the guitars ever sound hideously bad or anything, not atleast to my ears.

Platypus said:
James Lugo said:
Nathan,

PRS into Mesa Dual Rec into Mesa 4x12 recto oversized cab.
Dial out the mids, crank the bass and treble, use 1-2pm on the presense knob.

These settings basically sound awful but it will get you the sound you want for the record, don't shoot the messenger :)

:lol:

Sounds like you are a big fan of them, come on tell the truth, in your closet you have all there albums. LOL

Anyway i dont think they are over rated, i mean you do not hear people praising them like they are the best band in the world. Truth be told they write catchy tunes and kind of have there own unique sound in a way.

Like you i am not really a big fan of theres, mostly because i am not a fan of his voice, but i respect the band because they can write songs that just stick with you. And i dont care what you say, when you can write songs that millions of people love, that makes you a good musician, hell i can write songs all day long with 400 notes, but that doesnt make me a good musician.

nathan28 said:
No offense dude, but if you want to sound like Nickelback please put down your guitar now, all the modern rock bands sound exactly like. Be a true musician and sound like you, not someone else wannabe.

But if you still want to sound like the most overated band of all time then go with the mesa boogie roadking, this is currently one of the most popular studio amps cause you can get any sound out of it you want.

Nickelback = the death to real rock n roll!!!

who cares about nickleback the guy is a producer trying to do his job...

james lugo pretty much nailed it. the "recto" in the most traditional sense the most commonly used and heard on rock records in the 90's is the dual rectifier witha mesa 4x12 cab w/ V30 speakers...

there are different configurations however...

if you are a producer though and for the studio i'd suggest a road king v1 or v2 (v2 has better cleans and easier effects loops)

it has the same pre amp circuitry as a dual rectifier and actually is a dual rectifier however it has a lot more versatility with power options, tube selection, better clean channels, and a 2nd channel based on the pair of el34 tubes for many differnt vitnage sounds from clean to using a ds3 distrotion pedal to get a guns n roses type sound......

while the dual rec is heralded as the standard recto (triple just has more power outtage not neccesary for studio) the road king which has everything exactly the dual rec has plus more is more stuied for studio work and consolidated gear for touring

Thanks guys. I grabbed a Tremoverb with el34's off eBay last week, it'll be here Friday. I'm not sure if it's the way to go but I'll give it a shot. I also picked up a Bogner Ecstacy 101B and another Recto 4X12. So I have 2 Marshalls, a Soldano, 2 Boogies (Trem/Lonestar) and an XTC. If I can't get what I want with all that I need to hang it up...lol

p.s. Nickelback writes some catchy *** songs...talk amongst yourselves. :lol:

Sorry to be an *** about nickelback, Im just tired of rock n roll being dead, only the die hard fans of it make it survive, not fans of nickelback, fans of nickelback are the reason why rock is indeed dead. No one listens with their ears anymore but only their eyes, if your hot and have a sound that is very simple and repetitive your goin to sale records. Whatever happened to the music? I wanna know the day the music died the day our heros died, how did posers that cant play rule the day. If jimi Hendrix was alive he would be very disappointed, man he paved a way for a legacy, he showed us how to play 30 years ago, and now the musicians are too worried about their reality tv show or their hair to be a good player.
great link.
http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm

I hate to disagree but I have to. I'm a 42 year old guy who started guitar teching for his brothers band at 5 years old. I've been in the rock-n-roll game to one degree or another since there's been a game and it's still the same. Nothing has changed. The kids today feel the same way about My Chemical Romance as I did about Rush when I was their age as did my brother about CSNY when he was their age. It's all the same. IMO

'Kids today are lazy and have no appreciation, they are lost' -Julius Caesar

I totaly disagree, as much as i may not like them and you may not like them, nickleback is actually a very good rock band, If I dug his voice iw ould probaly be so into them, actually when one of there songs comes on the radio i still sing along the first 50 thousand times i hear it.

They write music that has good melodies that millions of people love. Everything about them screams rock and in 10 years they will be considered classic rock etc..

nathan28 said:
Sorry to be an *** about nickelback, Im just tired of rock n roll being dead, only the die hard fans of it make it survive, not fans of nickelback, fans of nickelback are the reason why rock is indeed dead. No one listens with their ears anymore but only their eyes, if your hot and have a sound that is very simple and repetitive your goin to sale records. Whatever happened to the music? I wanna know the day the music died the day our heros died, how did posers that cant play rule the day. If jimi Hendrix was alive he would be very disappointed, man he paved a way for a legacy, he showed us how to play 30 years ago, and now the musicians are too worried about their reality tv show or their hair to be a good player.
great link.
http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm

I totaly agree with you, I am 36 years old and grew up on such groups as kiss, acdc, zep etc.., then got into the whole 80's and then the 90's and so on.

My music is always changing, but i never forget my roots and love them just as much. When you knock groups of today it is just like how the older people knocked your favorite groups when you were growing up. Back in the 80's motley crue was considered metal/hair metal. Now you hear people describe them as classic rock. That is just the way music changes.

James Lugo said:
I hate to disagree but I have to. I'm a 42 year old guy who started guitar teching for his brothers band at 5 years old. I've been in the rock-n-roll game to one degree or another since there's been a game and it's still the same. Nothing has changed. The kids today feel the same way about My Chemical Romance as I did about Rush when I was their age as did my brother about CSNY when he was their age. It's all the same. IMO

'Kids today are lazy and have no appreciation, they are lost' -Julius Caesar

you guys are losing focus, man. play music that you want to hear. everything is relative. we are slipping back into the wonderful '80's word "poser" who is the poser ? the hardrock guy that wears nice clothes or the heavy metal dude in the leather and chains. it's all up to you. is jimi hendrix the guy that lights his guitar on fire or the pretty guy that played with little richard ? SRV solo artist or with David Bowie ?

i like it all but i am glad Nickelback is bringin' back songs about bangin'
bi-otches and drinkin beers cause i'm getting tired of all the crying about how my daddy didn't love me and mommy went away, and my girlfriend is gone is sleepin with my best friend

BOO HOO HOO.

your life sucks, my life sucks lets make the most of tonight.

i'll buy the first round !

thats what rock -n- roll is about.

Latest posts

Back