Which interface + mic preamp should I get?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking into starting recording and am stuck on gear. There seem to be as much criticism as praise for any given piece of equipment. I was thinking of starting with modest microphones so that I have room to grow, and I don't really need advice there. What I want is to get a top-notch interface and preamp so that I can elimiante some variables in that area, so to speak.

An important thing is that I'm NEVER going to use more than TWO microphones simultaneously - I'm only recording guitar and vocals, and one at a time, at that! So, for an interface, I'd *ideally* like the highest possible quality for something with TWO INPUTS only. I realize that's a tall order as most good interfaces have more inputs, so I'm willing to be flexible but would prefer to keep the number of inputs to a minimum.

Any suggestions?

For the record, I'm currently considering the RME Fireface (400 preferably, maybe 800 if the quality is wayyy better) and the Avalon VT-737sp interface.

For mics I'm looking at a Suhr SM57 (obviously) and a Sennheiser MD421 for guitar, and for vocals an AT-4047. Especially for vocals, I'd like to upgrade mics as I improve. I've got my eye on some Neumanns for the (hopefully near) future.

My current gear is a PRS Custom 24, a Bogner Ecstasy 101 B (2002 model), a 2x12 Bogner cab with Celestion V30's, and a TC Electronic G Major. (BTW - does anyone NOT record gutiar dry? As in, run effects through the cab and record that?)

Thanks!

I used 57s forever. EVERYone has!

But I got turned onto the Audix i5 and I dig it more. It's 57-esque but clearer and more balanced.

I use an i5 and 421 - sounds killer!

Sometimes I record wet. Depends on what I'm doing. Like - no post processing can get that Echoplex sound. Or spring reverb, y'know. Or when running W/D/W and so on. I've done both in the studio - just depends on what you want to hear when you're done :)

i have several mics, and a really nice Class A tube mic pre....

but i've recently moved away from mics, and have gone to capturing my sound with a Palmer PDI-09.

i run it into my A Designs mic pre, and sometimes lightly compress the signal before it goes to a digital convertor, and into the DAW.

i REALLY dig it.

a lot of control with it.

plus, i can always blend in 'room' mics, or 'off axis' mics with the palmer signal.

i use a A Designs Audio MP-1 mic pre.
i have the mono version, the current version is a dual preamp version.

here's a link:
http://www.adesignsaudio.com/mp2a.html

Back