Which cab is better???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
I'm a diehard Mesa fan, but recently I've heard that Marshall cabs have a lot more warmth to them and can really liven up a Mesa's sound. Is there any truth to this, or should I just stick to my Mesa cabs?

I think mesa makes much better quality cabs, but the rest is just taste. Probably marshall cabs will have a lot less lowend than mesa cabs, so the mids maybe come out some more, but it depends on what you call warm. There is also the difference in the speakers. Some marshalls have the 75 w and some have v30, like the newer mesa's. But a lot of mesa's still have c90. And marshall also uses the greenbacks.
It is pretty compex I think. And it pretty much depends on your ears.

I have an older 4x12 steel grill w/2 EV's and 2 C90's, as well as a Marshall 1960A w/75's.

When compared to the Mesa, the Marshall sounds like it has a blanket over it.This is fine when you're playing by yourself, but in a live band, you really want the tone to cut through. That's where the Mesa really shines. The Mesa is more articulate and also has more bass.

The Mesa is also built better than the Marshall. IMO the Marhsall is a fine cab, but is not on par with the Mesa.

The only negative is that the Mesa weighs much more than the Marshall.

phyrexia said:
Mesa Build Quality > Marshall Build Quality

There is nothing else to say.

+1000000000 that. I have used a marshall 1960a cab. One of the thinnest sounding cab ever. Even the behringer cab sounds better than that. The line 6 vetta cabs are the best for digital stuff. Currently I use a genz benz 2x12 and mesa 4x12. Both are GREAT cabs. I also hear great stuff about orange cabs.

phyrexia said:

There is, in fact, more to say. Mesa speaker cabinets are built well, but their head boxes are crap. They're simple glued butt-joints with a couple finish nails.

I bought a TOV head last month that got totally destroyed in transit - three of the four joints broke. A Marshall would have survived it fine, they fingerjoint.

Further, the issues with Marshall cabinets pretty much comes down to hardware - yes, the plastic handles and jack cups suck. But the rest of the package is fine - fingerjointed ply sides, plywood baffle...yes, the backs are particleboard, but they've been so since '72.

I've only ever seen broken headshells on the internet. I don't think they exist. ;) One of the main reasons Mesa uses baltic birch ply is so that if you drop it it won't die. I don't really know about the construction of the head shells, though. My combo cab is built just like my thiele as far as joints and everything goes.

A/B a 1960A with a vintage 30s against a Recto cab with Vintage 30s and tell me which one you think sounds bigger and better.

The chassis survived just fine, in fact it's still attached to the bottom board. One PCB standoff broke, but aside from tube breakage it's good. And the USPS is paying the claim, so no harm, no foul.

I was just surprised that they don't make the cabs better. If you upgrade to hardwood, they fingerjoint.

My Heartbreaker head had a separation of one joint too, I got it quite cheap because of that. And the amp is otherwise mint, there's no damage at all. I was able to glue the joint tightly enough that you can't tell it ever tore, even if you're looking for it. But it wasn't a real confidence-builder.

I've got a Mesa Recto2x12 cab and a Marshall 1960AV cab with Celestion V30's.
The Mesa Recto2x12 sounds much better, much fatter than the Marshall, i don't use my Marshall Cab since i've bougth my 2x12 Recto cab.

Antoine said:
I've got a Mesa Recto2x12 cab and a Marshall 1960AV cab with Celestion V30's.
The Mesa Recto2x12 sounds much better, much fatter than the Marshall, i don't use my Marshall Cab since i've bougth my 2x12 Recto cab.

good choice...once u go with mesa cabs there is no waaay in hell u will come back to a marshall cab. Unless u play in a emo/punk band:)

I personally like Mesa's better, especcially the Halfbacks.

But I'm poor, so I'll be buying a Marshall 1960AV, that costs me about 450 euro used and a used metalgrill will do 700 euro outhere. Too much for my wallet...

Hope it will sound ok with my mark IV.

rabies said:
Gojira is the one of the best metal bands around (just ask the singer of LOG who added them to their tour).

They use Rectos and Marshall cabs. There is no "best" anything really. It depends on your purposes and tastes...

if gojira is the example of yours having a good tone then I wont say anything else..but whenever I hear that band's name GOJIRA it just makes me laugh.

phyrexia said:

Not true. I have some basket weave Marshall cabs that are solid.

As for tone, it is personal taste. This is why I have 15 4x12 cabs. They all sound different. 8)

psychodave said:
phyrexia said:

As for tone, it is personal taste. This is why I have 15 4x12 cabs. They all sound different. 8)

15!!! for real? post a picture man...it would be sweet to see all the 15 cabs in a row:)

vertigo_ said:
psychodave said:
phyrexia said:

15!!! for real? post a picture man...it would be sweet to see all the 15 cabs in a row:)

Here are some of them...

Amps001.jpg

psychodave said:
vertigo_ said:
psychodave said:

Here are some of them...

Amps001.jpg

OH...MY....SWEET, SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN....are your cabs seeing anyone serious these days?!

Uhhh, Ummm, oh ...nevermind. Nothing I can say to that pic. Except .....Wow!!!
...and maybe, You Win!!!

Edward

Latest posts

Back