Which cab for a DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingston11

Reaction score
I have a reborn 2010 DR and a '94 2 Channel DR. I sold my avatar cab, so I need something good and fast for my amps.

I was looking at an Orange (in black) 2x12, but I hear mixed things about these cabs. Things like they are darker and boxy, and not as nicely made as similar cabs such as Mesa. It would be the costliest of the 3 cabs I have in mind.
Definately looking into a Mesa cab, but I can never find a used 2x12. I can get a 4x12 all day for about 500 locally. I wouldnt mind a 4x12, but for portability reasons I prefer a 2x12.
Both have V30s which I like and know.

The other cab is a Genz Benz G Flex. I can score one locally for about $350. I hear mainly great things about this cab, but not sure if it would pair well with my heads.

I play reggae/rock/metal usually at the same time, lol. Think 311 tone. Any advice?

In my experience (and I owned a 2 channel Dual Recto for years), Rectos love Vintage 30s to the exclusion of almost any other speaker. If you're set on a 2x12, consider:

Carvin Legacy
Whitebox
Mesa (always great, but pricey)

I've recently played a DR2010 over a Marshall 1960 with T75's in it. Sounded great, although it is said that these speakers have a little midscoop, which is probably not the best thing for an Rectifier. But I think there is an 2x12 version, and Marshall isn't that expensive (at least here)

Since I switched to EL34, I don't like the sound of my amp with my bandmates Mesa 2x12 (V30's) :)

...or get the Roadking cab!
I also heard the some Engl cabs would fit very well. I guess it depends on the speakers. Personal preference.

I think it really depends on the music you play, if you are more of a rythem guy the OS 4x12 is great, if you are more classic metal/hard rock to rock then the traditional or 2x12 mesa is a great choice.

The orange cabs are **** good cabs, I believe they come with regular V30's, not sure if they are england or china, they are brighter then the mesa cabs with a bit of more upper mid and less lower mid.

Be carefull when buying cabs, things like your Genz and Avatar and carvin are normally front loaded cabs which are less warm and more direct, which might be your thing, do a search on rear loaded vs front loaded and you will find many websites.

I personaly love my OS 4x12, but switch back and forth between that and my traditonal mesa.

kingston11 said:
I have a reborn 2010 DR and a '94 2 Channel DR. I sold my avatar cab, so I need something good and fast for my amps.

I was looking at an Orange (in black) 2x12, but I hear mixed things about these cabs. Things like they are darker and boxy, and not as nicely made as similar cabs such as Mesa. It would be the costliest of the 3 cabs I have in mind.
Definately looking into a Mesa cab, but I can never find a used 2x12. I can get a 4x12 all day for about 500 locally. I wouldnt mind a 4x12, but for portability reasons I prefer a 2x12.
Both have V30s which I like and know.

The other cab is a Genz Benz G Flex. I can score one locally for about $350. I hear mainly great things about this cab, but not sure if it would pair well with my heads.

I play reggae/rock/metal usually at the same time, lol. Think 311 tone. Any advice?

Pair of Mesa Thiele 1x12's with evm12'L with my TR.

I dig

Edit: I should add that we're definitely in the same vein tonewise. 311, Expendables, Pepper etc. The EVM's are very true to amp tone and the thiele allows plenty of bass. We pump plenty of treble/bass so IMHO I'd rather hear my amp without an extra variable. Not to mention you can comfortably play with one of the cabs if you don't need both. Heavy as hell though!

Thanks guys.
Im going to try the GFlex cab. Its local and at a good price, plus I'll probably just get a mesa 2x12 for the hell of it later on in the year when I start playing out again.

Back