Which Boogie to buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you want the Vai sound, you'll need a big ol' Legacy stack and even then, some might say that you'll need a Bogner hidden behind the Legacy.

I kid, I kid....

:wink:

flieger67 said:
Well, if you want the Vai sound, you'll need a big ol' Legacy stack and even then, some might say that you'll need a Bogner hidden behind the Legacy.

I kid, I kid....

:wink:
A Bogner, and/or a whole rack of effects. When you're talking about $5000 worth of rack effects, the idea of a "signature amp" sort of loses its meaning.

I suggested the Marshall becuse you said you're a hobbyist. I liked it, but there were things about it that are making me continue with the Boogies, or at least until I discover that neither the Stiletto nor the MarkIV are for me. But, if the Stiletto is Mesa's answer to the Marshall sound, I may actually consider the Marshall, which I found to be ultra-flexible within minutes of playing it, and it blew the Roadster I tested minutes before out of the water, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of getting rid of my recto, it has its place, but I was able to dial in a killer tone to that Marshall in a matter of moments. I'd also recommend trying a Diezel if it didn't cost over $4,000, I got MONSTER tone out of one that I tested last week. A truly fine amp, I must say.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I suggested the Marshall becuse you said you're a hobbyist. I liked it, but there were things about it that are making me continue with the Boogies, or at least until I discover that neither the Stiletto nor the MarkIV are for me. But, if the Stiletto is Mesa's answer to the Marshall sound, I may actually consider the Marshall, which I found to be ultra-flexible within minutes of playing it, and it blew the Roadster I tested minutes before out of the water, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of getting rid of my recto, it has its place, but I was able to dial in a killer tone to that Marshall in a matter of moments. I'd also recommend trying a Diezel if it didn't cost over $4,000, I got MONSTER tone out of one that I tested last week. A truly fine amp, I must say.
What "things" made you decide against the Marshall?

And, yeah, I'm a hobbyist, but that doesn't mean I'm not obsessed with my tone. :D

Jak0lantern01 said:
If it's appearance that's imporatant to you, don't waste your $$$ on a Mesa amp. Just buy a Crate with cool flashing lights and sh!t on it for $400. Also, the Roadster will not give you what you're looking for in terms of sound and bottom end. I have a single recto and tested a Roadster last week looking for an amp with the sound you originally described, the Roadster sounded a lot like my rectoverb. You'll get lots of flub on the bottom end with it. I have yet to try a Stiletto or a MarkIV, but I think the Mark may be my next amp considering everything I've read about it. Also, if you're willing to spend the cash on a Roadster, Marshall puts out their 410 with 4 channels, great cleans, and tons of gain on channel four. Very flexible and easy to dial in tone. Oh, it looked cool, too.

Sorta. I agree with the looks part... and a bit of the Marshall JVM thing. The JVM is probably a bit better than the Roadster, but thats probably a bit biased, since I'm not a huge recto-fan. However: I find that the "tons of gain" turns into a "tons of mud" really fast. I'd take a Stiletto over it any day, and a Mark IV without question.

JoeEllison said:
Hey, don't rag on the diamond plate!

No offense, but the Mark IV is sort of goofy looking to me. No doubt it sounds great... and I know that's the priority. Like I said, I'm going to try them out... and get my wife to listen without looking at them. :twisted:

I did the whole "checkerplate" cool looking amp thing for a few miserable years. There was no supplied sample settings when I bought it new in '97. I also was not blessed/cursed with the internet either. I came full circle back to the "goofy" amps :lol: .

JOEY B. said:
I did the whole "checkerplate" cool looking amp thing for a few miserable years. There was no supplied sample settings when I bought it new in '97. I also was not blessed/cursed with the internet either. I came full circle back to the "goofy" amps :lol: .

Hey, I get that they are good-sounding amps. But, you know... I DO have to look at it. Plus, my wife says the Mark IV looks "cheap" and "chintzy". Since I'm spending $2000-3000 on an amplifier, she kind of gets a say.

Anyhoo, we've sat down and discussed it, and decided that we kind of like flabby distortion after all. :lol:

JoeEllison said:
JOEY B. said:

Hey, I get that they are good-sounding amps. But, you know... I DO have to look at it. Plus, my wife says the Mark IV looks "cheap" and "chintzy". Since I'm spending $2000-3000 on an amplifier, she kind of gets a say.

Anyhoo, we've sat down and discussed it, and decided that we kind of like flabby distortion after all. :lol:

To each their own :D . I wish that I could have had more resources regarding the amp settings during my "checkerplate" years. BTW, if you are going to spend $2000-$3000, go for extreme goofy (MkIIC+) like I did :lol: .

DSC01961.jpg
[/img]

JOEY B. said:
To each their own :D . I wish that I could have had more resources regarding the amp settings during my "checkerplate" years. BTW, if you are going to spend $2000-$3000, go for extreme goofy (MkIIC+) like I did :lol: .
I know it is shallow and even dumb, but I just can't stand the look of the Mark series amps.

I am also curious about what switching tubes would do to a Roadster? Plus, I have a billion effects...

JoeEllison said:
I know it is shallow and even dumb, but I just can't stand the look of the Mark series amps.

Close your eyes and use the "force" :lol: :lol: :lol:

JoeEllison said:
I am also curious about what switching tubes would do to a Roadster? Plus, I have a billion effects...

There was no Road King or Roadster available back when I was in the "Recto" phase. A tube swap will change the tone somewhat, but I would not expect any drastic results. Too many effects in the signal chain could have a negative affect on tone, as well. Take your guitar and effects to a store that has a Roadster, and try BEFORE you buy 8) .

Well, I kind of like the Roadster WITHOUT effects. Actually, I like it a lot... it sounds kind of like the Peavey JSX, which was my first choice, except with a better clean tone and a fuller-sounding distortion. "Flab" to most of you folks, the more I think about it.

JoeEllison said:
Well, I kind of like the Roadster WITHOUT effects. Actually, I like it a lot... it sounds kind of like the Peavey JSX, which was my first choice, except with a better clean tone and a fuller-sounding distortion. "Flab" to most of you folks, the more I think about it.

I give you, the most "flabby" and "goofy" Boogie of all time!!!!!!!! The EQ is set altogether different for my Xotic BB preamp.
I am currently working on a "flab reduction" plan and a facelift to make it look like a Marshall plexi head (NOT)!!!!!

This is all a joke (I hope you know), good luck at finding your perfect tone.

DSC01973.jpg

Peace out,
Joey

JOEY B. said:
This is all a joke (I hope you know), good luck at finding your perfect tone.
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I'm off to play a whole mess of amps tomorrow!

i once bought an 100w marshall head and an amprack from the maiden guitarist when they started their seventh sun tour. sold it two years ago with all the other stuff.

now i go for the stiletto ace's 2x12" - definetely THE amps, 3 and 4 are already insight ;-)

actually its all a matter of what you want, enjoy the trials!!!

Latest posts

Back