Which Boogie to buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeEllison

Reaction score
Hey folks, you all seem like you know your stuff, so here's my question:

I play classic rock and metal, and I need an amp that has decent cleans, singing lead tone, and moderate-to-heavy "tight" distortion for rhythm.

I've got my eyes on a Roadster head and 2X12 cab... but I'm not 100% sure. Since there aren't many dealers locally, and their stock is limited, I can't just try every amp. I liked the Roadster I tried out, but I didn't get much time with it. I really can't drive 2 hours back to the store to try it again any time soon.

So, before I cave in and buy a Peavey JSX half-stack... any help?

check out the Stiletto. It definitely covers all your classic rock and depending on your definition of metal (Maiden, Priest, Slayer) Yes ( Korn Limpbizket) No.

I would say the Stiletto or the Mark IV

Recto does not coincide with your desire for tight distortion. It is possible but use the right tool for the right job here.

JoeEllison said:
But they don't look as cool?

lol.. what's more important to you?

tone or looks?

should be pretty obvious... if not then you should reevaluate you priorities :D

Yeah, I know... it is just, well...

This is the last amp I'm allowed to buy. I get one amp, one guitar, and that's it. My wife is being pretty cool about it overall, especially since this is just a hobby for me. :D

JoeEllison said:
Yeah, I know... it is just, well...

This is the last amp I'm allowed to buy. I get one amp, one guitar, and that's it. My wife is being pretty cool about it overall, especially since this is just a hobby for me. :D

Order your amp from mesa with a custom head shell? There are recto-looking stilettos out there...

Maybe I can customize it...

I'm going to ABSOLUTELY try a Stiletto before I buy the Roadster.

The other issue I have is flexibility. The Roadster just seems to do more. Is that just the extra knobs fooling me?

JoeEllison said:
Maybe I can customize it...

I'm going to ABSOLUTELY try a Stiletto before I buy the Roadster.

The other issue I have is flexibility. The Roadster just seems to do more. Is that just the extra knobs fooling me?

Both have lots of tones.. the Roadster probably has more available but I don't think you're going to get tight distortion classic rock out of it as well as the two amps I mentioned

I have played tons of shows over the past several years with my DR and it seems the guitar player in every band on the the bill had DR as well. It lost its " it looks cool" pretty quick. If you ask me my Stiletto Ace head looks way cooler and classier by far. more like a Plexi which has a timeless appeal. It looks cool weather you 16 or 60. The diamond plate in my opinion is played out.

Hey, don't rag on the diamond plate!

No offense, but the Mark IV is sort of goofy looking to me. No doubt it sounds great... and I know that's the priority. Like I said, I'm going to try them out... and get my wife to listen without looking at them. :twisted:

JoeEllison said:

No offense, but the Mark IV is sort of goofy looking to me. No doubt it sounds great... and I know that's the priority. Like I said, I'm going to try them out... and get my wife to listen without looking at them. :twisted:

I think the Mark IV looks really classic/timeless, maybe that's just me.

Honestly the roadster can do classic rock, but not as well as a stiletto! I think since you are doing this as a hobby you would pull your hair out with a Mark IV, a real tweekers amp and you have to have alot of patience.

With that being said, go for the stiletto duace, it is the same dimensions as a dual rec so you can always buy a used dual rec head shell and just pop it in. If you give me a week I will show you, because I have a duace on order and I have an older black face diamond plate and I am gonna put the stiletto in there.

JoeEllison said:

If it's appearance that's imporatant to you, don't waste your $$$ on a Mesa amp. Just buy a Crate with cool flashing lights and **** on it for $400. Also, the Roadster will not give you what you're looking for in terms of sound and bottom end. I have a single recto and tested a Roadster last week looking for an amp with the sound you originally described, the Roadster sounded a lot like my rectoverb. You'll get lots of flub on the bottom end with it. I have yet to try a Stiletto or a MarkIV, but I think the Mark may be my next amp considering everything I've read about it. Also, if you're willing to spend the cash on a Roadster, Marshall puts out their 410 with 4 channels, great cleans, and tons of gain on channel four. Very flexible and easy to dial in tone. Oh, it looked cool, too.

Thanks guys... I'm going to have to take a drive tomorrow and check out a few more amps.

[/quote]Hey, don't rag on the diamond plate!

I'm not trying to offend any one. When I first got my DR I thought it looked cool then started giging with it and some nights there would 5 bands maybe 10 guitar players 7 with Rectos 3 with 2000s. I just got sick of seeing them even my own. Maybe I'm getin old. Anyway if Classic rock and classic metal is you thing I think you'll dig the stiletto.

Jak0lantern01 said:
If it's appearance that's imporatant to you, don't waste your $$$ on a Mesa amp. Just buy a Crate with cool flashing lights and sh!t on it for $400. Also, the Roadster will not give you what you're looking for in terms of sound and bottom end. I have a single recto and tested a Roadster last week looking for an amp with the sound you originally described, the Roadster sounded a lot like my rectoverb. You'll get lots of flub on the bottom end with it. I have yet to try a Stiletto or a MarkIV, but I think the Mark may be my next amp considering everything I've read about it. Also, if you're willing to spend the cash on a Roadster, Marshall puts out their 410 with 4 channels, great cleans, and tons of gain on channel four. Very flexible and easy to dial in tone. Oh, it looked cool, too.

Well, if looks were ALL I cared about, I'd have already bought the JSX, with the neat-o keen chrome face on it. Unfortunately, it has a "just made for effects!" clean channel, which almost always is code for "sterile and lifeless" cleans. And I've never played a Marshall that really wowed me. Maybe the new one will, if I can even find one to try.

What about the lead tone? Can I sound like Steve Vai? :lol:

What about the lead tone? Can I sound like Steve Vai?

I dont really play that style so i'm not to sure. I know he use a lot of effects and the Stiletto handles my pedals very well. For me dialing in a lead tone is much easier and sounds better for my style on my Stiletto compared to my DR

Latest posts

Back