Whew! *Wipes Brow* It's good to be back! MKIV...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale B.

Reaction score
I just picked up my 5th and final Mesa Mark IV head the other day. I think it's a 2005 or 2006 model. In other words, it's a B-version. Anyway, I'm glad that I actually own another Mark IV because it's pretty much my favorite amp in the world to play and I've owned nearly everything.

The one thing that is kind of bugging me right now is the STR-440 power tubes. They just don't have the aggressiveness of the JJ 6L6GC's or the sweetness of the SED 6L6GC's. I used JJ's and SED's in all of the previous Mark IV's and loved them. I have the preamp setup with JAN GE12ax7wa. It sounds good.

I haven't been following the tube trends in the last two years. How are the quality of the JJ 6L6GC's these days? I know SED has went up in price a good bit. If the JJ reliability isn't there any longer, I'm going to have to splurge on some SED 6L6GC's.

I'm glad to be back! :) I may record some clips tonight.

Dale

:)

I'm so glad to be back in the Mark Series camp too. Enjoy the Mark IV man, they are utterly killer.

Oh, and they really do feel amazing to play too.

STR440's are great, I'm not sure if they are the problem, if you want more aggression try EL34's in the outer sockets ! :D

Back