Where's the phase inverter in my Studio .22+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hverlind

Reaction score
First post, simple question (see topic title)...

Today I got a new set of JJ tubes for my Studio Caliber .22+ (I bought them from Bob at eurotubes.com). One preamp tube is balanced for phase inverter use but I don't know where to put it. I did use the search function, but I couldn't find a conclusive answer. My best guess is that the PI tube is the first one on the left if you're standing behind the amp and looking at the back, but I would rather be sure. As an aside, am I correct that I don't need to bias this amp after retubing?

Thanks for any help...

fdesalvo said:
Your PI is closest to the power tubes.

That's one of the answers I got from using the search function. The problem is that the preamp tubes are on a row behind the power tubes rather than on the same row next to it.

In the mean time, I have discovered that I somehow have only ordered 4 preamp tubes while I really need 5 (sigh). So now I am also wondering which tube I should leave unreplaced, considering I rarely use the lead channel and I'm not a fan of high gain. Is there a tube that is used only by the lead channel? If so, which one?

Thanks again...

Ok, I've been looking at both this picture and this schematic and I have concluded that:

- If you look from behind the amp at the back of the amp, the tube locations are: V5 V4 V3 V2 V1

- V1, V2 and V3 are used in the preamp

- V4 is used for the reverb (I guess I could leave this one unreplaced)

- V5 is the phase inverter

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

hverlind said:
fdesalvo said:
Your PI is closest to the power tubes.

That's one of the answers I got from using the search function. The problem is that the preamp tubes are on a row behind the power tubes rather than on the same row next to it.

In the mean time, I have discovered that I somehow have only ordered 4 preamp tubes while I really need 5 (sigh). So now I am also wondering which tube I should leave unreplaced, considering I rarely use the lead channel and I'm not a fan of high gain. Is there a tube that is used only by the lead channel? If so, which one?

Thanks again...

No. The lead channel uses the second half of the rythym channel tube.

Latest posts

Back