When the Mark V shows up in Guitar Center

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcguitar

Reaction score
How many of us, and others are going to be playing Master of puppets, Pull Me Under and all of those songs?

I'm a little guilty of that now, but heck why not see if they sound just as good at a volume of .5 with 15 other people hacking them up? ;)

dmcguitar said:
How many of us, and others are going to be playing Master of puppets, Pull Me Under and all of those songs?

I'm a little guilty of that now, but heck why not see if they sound just as good at a volume of .5 with 15 other people hacking them up? ;)

GC sucks. I hate it. They used to be tolerable but something changed in the last year and I can't stand them anymore.

If you really think you might buy a Mark V, go to another dealer if possible.

Bobby Marshall said:
dmcguitar said:

GC sucks. I hate it. They used to be tolerable but something changed in the last year and I can't stand them anymore.

I'm of a different opinion...I have a great relationship with my local GCs, I have about 5 within a 50 mile radius...and it is the only Dealer where...although they can't directly discount the Mesa price...will pass the discount on to something else I may be purchasing that day.

JAZZGEAR said:
Bobby Marshall said:
dmcguitar said:

I'm of a different opinion...I have a great relationship with my local GCs, I have about 5 within a 50 mile radius...and it is the only Dealer where...although they can't directly discount the Mesa price...will pass the discount on to something else I may be purchasing that day.
+1. I don't get all this hate for Guitar Center. I like being able to go into a place, try all sorts of equipment, take it home for 30 days and return it. They might not be perfect, but we're better off with them than without them.

I bought my Express at GC because the other local dealer, a store that's been around for a very long time, didn't have a return policy and I wanted to spend some time with the amp with my band.

The salesman at GC was very knowledgable, and when I mentioned that the amp that I sampled was shopworn, he located another at a nearby GC that hadn't even been out of the box.

Overall, my GC experiences have been like that- shopworn gear but good end results.

When I see the Mark V there I will try it, though I probably won't play any Metallica. I'm a blues player and don't know any!

I love having GC and the return policy. I just don't like when they get upset with a return. I bought a $3000 LP and brought it back 48Hrs later and got a hard time from the Mgr. the e Mgr. said "are you fu@#ing kidding man" and I said what's wrong? and he repeated it again? and I said I have 30 days for a return? and he said why are you returning it, I gave you such a great price? Just a really weird and uncomfortable experience. I think they try to give you a little bit of a hard time, on returns and I think it works on some people. this is the one thing i can't stand about GC.

Well I like GC, since you can go in and try a wide variety of stuff. It's tough to get a real feel for it since most things can't be cranked. And the fighting for "ear space" gets annoying, but Since it's one of the few places I can get Mesa. and I can ask everyone to give me gift cards as gifts, so I dont have to pay for it all myself, it's much more convenient.

dmcguitar said:
Well I like GC, since you can go in and try a wide variety of stuff. It's tough to get a real feel for it since most things can't be cranked. And the fighting for "ear space" gets annoying, but Since it's one of the few places I can get Mesa. and I can ask everyone to give me gift cards as gifts, so I dont have to pay for it all myself, it's much more convenient.

ya, the "ear space" thing can be a bit frustrating, esp since they may have thier background music on, some goofball banging on "rock band" drums, and then who knows how many dooods playing on the "insane" setting on a line6.

LOL

But guitar center has been, in general, a positive experience.

Robusto said:
... and then who knows how many dooods playing on the "insane" setting on a line6.
haha, yea, and they're trying to play the fast part to Metallica's "One". gotta love it :)

GC is actually a good thing here. Many of my friends in the music circle work there, so they actually know what they're talking about. We were dominated for years by a locally owned store, where if you took a copy of musician's friend and asked them to beat the price, the owner would yell some very choice words at you as they kicked your *** out the door.

Sebby123 said:
Guitar trader for me :) love the guys amazing tech and there the only mesa dealer close to me!

Yea, I know the guys there, and they're cool, 8) but GC got me an Ace when I was ready to buy. GT just couldn't get one in time. But I had to go to San Marcos to pick it up....lotta gas when it was still mega-$$$$$ per gallon.... :shock:

kiff said:
Robusto said:
... and then who knows how many dooods playing on the "insane" setting on a line6.
haha, yea, and they're trying to play the fast part to Metallica's "One". gotta love it :)

I often hear enter sandman and greenday...done horribly wrong. yeesh

jamme61 said:
I love having GC and the return policy. I just don't like when they get upset with a return. I bought a $3000 LP and brought it back 48Hrs later and got a hard time from the Mgr. the e Mgr. said "are you fu@#ing kidding man" and I said what's wrong? and he repeated it again? and I said I have 30 days for a return? and he said why are you returning it, I gave you such a great price? Just a really weird and uncomfortable experience. I think they try to give you a little bit of a hard time, on returns and I think it works on some people. this is the one thing i can't stand about GC.

They have also given me attitude when returning things, but it is their policy and they have to just suck it up, so just be insistent and stand your ground.
They will comply.....resistance is futile...the returns will be assimilated..... :lol:

Elpelotero said:
kiff said:
Robusto said:

I often hear enter sandman and greenday...done horribly wrong. yeesh

Hey!

I love playing Enter Sandman! (correctly of course).

it is the "New Stairway".

LOL

Truthfully, I'll probably be there at GC, trying to play Master of Puppets, Pull me Under, and other songs, shamefully showing the store how much I don't deserve a Mark V with my lack of chops.

When it comes time to purchase a Mark V however, I just might make use of a smaller amp shop that's closer to my house. While the service I get at both GC and the smaller shop are great, the service at the smaller shop tends to be a bit more personal, if for no other reason than the guys there don't have to worry about trying to service 50 customers all at once.

GC hates when you return ****. I remember I bought a 4x12 boogie cab and then returned it cuz i got a great price on a 2x12 of ebay.

they were so pissed, the manager kept trying to explain to me why the 4x12 was the better option while ignoring the fact i was getting a 2x12 for a ridiculous price and it didn't matter to me to have a 4x12 if my house.

jamme61 said:

While I would never advocate any sales/service person give you the hassle you got...

I suspect the reason they don't like it is (a) the revenue comes off the books and (b) I suspect they can't sell returned goods as "new" anymore, so it's a loss.

Still, that's their policy, the individuals in the store ought to honor it and provide good customer service while doing so.

simonich said:
jamme61 said:

While I would never advocate any sales/service person give you the hassle you got...

I suspect the reason they don't like it is (a) the revenue comes off the books and (b) I suspect they can't sell returned goods as "new" anymore, so it's a loss.

Still, that's their policy, the individuals in the store ought to honor it and provide good customer service while doing so.

Yes, and I believe the salesperson who sold you the equipment you returned also loses his/her commission for that sale. I had to return my Lonestar Special a couple of years ago due to a sudden cash strap and unforseen circumstances and the folks at the GC were not pleased at all and very reluctantly honored their policy!

I have had nothing but good experiences at GC as well. I go out of my way to develop relationships certain salespeople and only work with them. I wind up getting very good deals. And as someone said before, I can never get a discount on Mesa stuff, they will always discount something else. I just bought a Roadster Head and a 2X12 Recto cab. I brought it home, and it had a switching problem. I brought it right back and they just gave me another one. Also, they set me up in the Loud lounge, so I could try the new head without all the interference from other folks. When I bought the cab, I asked them when they would get a Mark V in the store. They said they were waiting to find out as well. The salesman said only select stores were getting them.

simonich said:
I returned a Les Paul Studio VM to GC because it had a small crack in the neck and a week later it was back on the wall for sale as new. My GC experiences are usually hit or miss...

Latest posts

Back