WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ON THE FORMULA PREAMP?!?!?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalblitz84

Reaction score
I've been looking to get a formula preamp recently because I've heard great things about it. Recently, I've heard that the lead channels are not that good and that they are very weak. I was just wondering if anyone that has owned or heard a formula in person could give me their insight as to how good they sound and what they have to offer. Thanks!!!!

I tested one out back in '99 looking to buy and was very unimpressed with its lead channel. Very muddy and not what I would call typical Mesa Hi-Gain. On the other hand the clean was very nice. Most reviews will say the same.

I've never tried one, but have listened to some clips/recordings made with the Formula. I didn't like the lead channel so much but the cleans were very good. It seems to me John Petrucci from Dream Theater is now using a Formula pre in his rack (along with two MarkIVs, the C+ Nunya preamp and a 2:100 poweramp) for their world tour (and used to use it also in the past if I'm not wrong), more than probably just for clean tones.

ytse_jam said:
I've never tried one, but have listened to some clips/recordings made with the Formula. I didn't like the lead channel so much but the cleans were very good. It seems to me John Petrucci from Dream Theater is now using a Formula pre in his rack (along with two MarkIVs, the C+ Nunya preamp and a 2:100 poweramp) for their world tour (and used to use it also in the past if I'm not wrong), more than probably just for clean tones.

Really? I thought it was a Lonestar for cleans?

visualrocker69 said:
ytse_jam said:

Really? I thought it was a Lonestar for cleans?
Yeah obviously, I forgot it... but he probably needs more than one basic clean tone!
JohnPetrucciCIMrig.jpg

well, I now realize in the pic there isn't the formula... nor the Nunya... :? don't know if I dreamt about them or if they were added later.

ytse_jam said:
well, I now realize in the pic there isn't the formula... nor the Nunya... :? don't know if I dreamt about them or if they were added later.
I think he was using it in his G3/B rig.

I use a Formula all the time. I play 80s Rock/Metal. I think the lead channel sounds great. It is not a Rectifier or a Mark, but it is still decent. I have a Mark IV, but I just couldn't take spending the money on Tubes for the money we were making. I do use the record outs into a Lee Jackson perfect connection power amp.

I don't know if it would be my first Mesa purchase, but I have been happy with it. It is a very early one, maybe they made changes. The cleans are great though.

Latest posts

Back