What's your favorite R2 mode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite R2 mode?

• Edge

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Crunch

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Mark I

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters

SBG200

Reaction score
Just curious, since my favorite changes pretty much every day. :lol:

Crunch seems to be a nice workhorse mode, but I'm also finding great sounds in the other modes as well. Anyway, what's your favorite at the moment? Also in your comments if you could mention if you're using it in a full band setting. I'm curious if Edge is solid enough to play on stage. I don't have a rehearsal or gig for at least a week so I'm dying to find out...

I've pretty much left mine on Crunch since I bought it (November last year). I have messed around with the other two, but Crunch just seems to be the one for me.

Crunch mode works the best for me most of the time, followed by Mark I. I never got comfortable with the edge setting in R2.

Edge.

I like crunch, but kept finding it sounded like a less impressive form of channel 3. I switched over to edge to get more of a classic Marshall vibe.

The catch is that I don't like channel switching mid song, so I use edge from clean to mean via my guitar's volume knob, then kick on an OD for some awesome boosted Marshall type sounds. If I channel switched mid song I'd feel uncomfortable with the huge tonal shift from edge to Mark IV.

screamingdaisy said:
Edge.

I like crunch, but kept finding it sounded like a less impressive form of channel 3. I switched over to edge to get more of a classic Marshall vibe.

The catch is that I don't like channel switching mid song, so I use edge from clean to mean via my guitar's volume knob, then kick on an OD for some awesome boosted Marshall type sounds. If I channel switched mid song I'd feel uncomfortable with the huge tonal shift from edge to Mark IV.

That's a good point. I like Edge the same way, but there is definite hangover when switching to a different channel. Also it just seems to have this ice-picky brightness to it that seems cool sometimes but I'm afraid it'd take someone's head off if they were standing in front of it at a gig, especially with my Tele. Reminds me of my old Stiletto Ace in that way.

I voted for Mark I but I haven't spent any time with Edge so take that for what its worth...

My main lead channel is now Mark I, haven't used channel 3 in weeks. You just have to dial it in to your liking, it has as much gain as any of the voices of Channel 3 to my ears. Love the bottom end response, which I just have not seemed to find on Ch. 3.

I voted Mark I since that is what I have been messing with the most lately, but I agree with alot of what Daisy says about Edge. I don't think people give that one enough time. I love it with a slight breakup for that HeartBreaker or Cure sound. It really responds when you dig into the strings.

Crunch is the easiest to dial in, and probably the best for overall useable tone. However like all the other modes in the amp, mark 1 and edge have their merits.

Mark I is my favorite mode. It's kind of loose feeling with loads of low end (I have to run the bass control on off), but it is soooo smoooth. I use the preset contour at 12 o'clock with this mode and I can get really nice breakup picking sounds out of it.

My next favorite is Edge which I pretend is some kind of Vox AC30 sound.

Lastly, I like Crunch, but sometimes it's kind of boring to me. Out of all the sounds in the amp, this one is just your good ol' overdriven guitar sound. It has a tonal character kind of like Channel 3's Mark IV mode, but I kind of like the uniqueness of the Mark I and Edge modes...they're very classic sounding to me. Crunch though is better than Edge when you're trying to get gain saturation because it's fatter and more focused.

all the options in this channel are different from each other. at the same time all of them are great!!!!!!! so many choices......

currently, i am using the crunch mode for now. i set the gain at noon and push the front with a rc booster or a wampler ecstasy for differnt textures.

love this amp!!!!!!!!!

I've been dialing in some really great sounding JTM45 and Plexi tones with Edge mode as of late. The output level really has to be up to get these tones to come to life. Don't get me wrong - they sound really godd with the master volume turned down, better than it should. When the master is up though - WHOA!!! I do find Edge mode a bit more difficult to dial in than Crunch or Mk1 but done right it sounds and feels awesome! Pushing it with a TS for lead tones sounds great as well.

Man, what a fantastic amp!!!

Back