Whats wrong ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesCarr

Reaction score
I went to guitar showcase in San Jose to trade in my MkIIb, that is in excellent condition, For a new Lonestar and they offered me $350 :shock: and thwy wanted to charge me $100 over list price for the new Lonestar special :shock:
I have previously purchased many amps and instruments from them :cry:
boy... some people these days :!:

LesCarr,

I love that store, it's a weekly hang on Saturdays for me. The only "big" purchase I've made there though is my 57 reissue. They get all my string, tube, stands, etc... business though. Most big stuff I buy used. It seems odd that they would low ball you like that. You might have caught Gary (I think that's his name) on a bad day.

I would try to sell it out right either on Craigslist, The Gear Page, or right here at the friendly Boogie Board.

Then go get that Lonestar with cash. If they want more than list then try "gasp" GC. If you don't mind used, a better price can be had. I believe the Boogie 5 year warranty is transferrable.

Chris... 8)

LesCarr- Can you describe your Mk IIB (options, color, speaker) and what you are asking? You can PM if you like.

I like that place too :lol:

But they do hard bargains. Yeah, trade-in is a b*tch.

I used their consignment shop selling a Music Man Amp and a Mitchell Pro-100 (poor man's Mark I but hums like a sonnava &%())#).

Anyway, I wrote down some suggested prices and they claimed it won't sell at that price. So I lowered by $20. Those two amp sold in no time flat. I think I could have sold it for my suggested price.

Uh, this was before the internet and E-Bay, CraigList ...

Did you try "Gelb's Music" in Redwood City?

In Santa Cruz we kinda befriended the salespersons there in "More Music". So they try hard to sell our stuff calling around if anyone interested in some of the stuff we have on consignment. And they give us the higher price if we trade in our stuff for their used stuff.

Not sure why Guitar Showcase doesn't do the same. I prefer that place than Steven Creeks' Guitar Showcase, that's for sure.

BPski said:
LesCarr- Can you describe your Mk IIB (options, color, speaker) and what you are asking? You can PM if you like.

This is a MkIIB 60W export option I believe the speaker is a EV even though it has no label. It has been gone over by a mesa certified tech.
He deemed it in very good shape and will state so in diagnostic report. The beige tolex cover is clean no damage whatsoever the brown grill is in just as good a shape. If I can't get a good price I'm going to have the filter caps replaced and keep playing it a little while longer and save my money for a LSC or LSS. I can provide pictures as soon as I get it back to take some digital photo's :)

Trading in is a waste of time. You'll always get burned. As far as being a good customer goes that means little today. I would think treating a good customer well would pay off. Since nobody does it I guess I'm wrong. What really bugs me is most people expect lousey service and deals and dont bother to complain. I guess nobody would listen anyway.

I agree with AMG1. Trade-ins that are fair are few and far between. Excellent customer service in larger music stores is next to non-existant. I say we boycott the larger stores and patronize the smaller ones. Or order online. It's fast, the shipping vs tax is almost a wash and with the pace of today's world it shows up at your door. E-Z!

I was in no way trying to make guitar showcase appear to be unethical. I was just shocked /disappointed at the offer price. Guital center has offered more. Especially when I know that this AMP can fetch $800 give or take a little. I understand business is business but customer loyalty should account..

I have decided to change the filter caps which will tighten up the sound a little and i will keep playing it until someone who is willing to pay what it is worth comes along untill then I'll keep it handy in my home office.

The only reason I considered getting rid of the MkIIB was to help pay for the Lonestar I would like to buy?

LesCarr said:
I was in no way trying to make guitar showcase appear to be unethical. I was just shocked /disappointed at the offer price. Guital center has offered more. Especially when I know that this AMP can fetch $800 give or take a little. I understand business is business but customer loyalty should account..

The only reason I considered getting rid of the MkIIB was to help pay for the Lonestar I would like to buy?

No, I was taking that you were thinking Guitar Showcase was unethical but just as shocked, surprise and disappointed as you were.

Did you try Guitar Center in Emeryville? They're an authorized MESA Boogie dealer.

I could understand your reasons to get cash selling Mark IIB for a Lone Star but personally I would keep the Mark IIB and try to raise the cash for the Lone Star.

Of the Mark Series, I like the Mark IIs the best. When the Mark III came out I was about to trade my Mark IIB (also) for a Mark III. But when I tried one out, for me the lead channel was too compress, massive overdrive, over saturated even if I lower the pre-amp gain. I suppose I could have use the overdrive mode on the rhythm channel but then that's at the expense of the rhythm clean channel setting.

The Mark II was much easier to dail in. I'm not ditching Mark III but it was not my cup of tea. I like many of Mark IIIs' improved features over the Mark II but dial in to what I wanna hear was much easier on the Mark II.

LesCarr, I don't know how much you cherish amps or if you those person that moves on to other amps, but me, I'm more of trying out an amp and say: "This is a keeper!" :wink: Mark IIB is a keeper (for me).

I am probably keep the MKII the Tech. thinks the filter cap R&R should do the trick and bring to tone back from (Flabby) "Tighten up" I got to identify the speaker though I believe its a EV (I Hope) I had a great JBL in my Deluxe Reverb (Non CBS) something can be said of massive magnets. Ev's used aluminum chassis I believe I'll test for that.
I gotta make up my mind do I want the classic or special LS 1x12combo I don't Gig so I don't need the overhead but may like the versatility of the classic.
A or AB that is the question!
My wife thinks I'm going nuts I have a Cybertwin as well (too many bells and whistles).
Na! I just like spending my money on good tone!!!!

I'm of the "never" sell a boogie crowd. You might as well start giving away kidneys too!

Latest posts

Back