Whats the deal with the Mesa Dealer Agreement ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rules and agreements must be different in Canada. There is haggling on price for sure!!!

Price fixing is against the law in Canada (Has to be in the USA as well).

One way a dealer can get around that no discount thing (if he wants to) is you bring in an old piece of junk $10.00 amp as a trade. The dealer gives you $300.00 for it. There is your discount.

None of Mesa's business how much or what kind of amp is traded in.
Dealers can also say it has a scratch in it and discount it.

brianf

I think for price fixing laws in the US to apply it would mean the various manufactors would have to fix the price of comparable products.

I could be wrong.

Personally Its fine with me if everyone is paying the same thing for the same Boogies. For once I feel like I got the right deal.

I always hated buying a Fender such and such and two months later I find out someone got the same thing for a hundred less. ARRrrrGGGgggg!!!!

Brian, you're absolutely right. I looked it up in Wikipedia and they say:
"Under U.S. law, price fixing is only illegal if it comes about via communication and specific agreement between firms." I doubt they have agreements with any other amp manufacturers to set their prices so it's would not be illegal - which still doesn't make it price fixing, just shrewd business practice. Also
By the way, I believe their Hollywood store/factory DOES discount items sometimes - seller hwdstore on EBAY has the items - few and far between. Also, when models are discontinued they are sold cheaper like the Maverick amps recently.

I think they do it so that various stores don't compete against each other.....that way they can garanty each store owner a set amount of profit.

A friend of mine owns a medium sized store, and the pricing schemes of some manufacturers/distributors makes making a reasonable profit difficult at times, and also makes alot of stores balk at selling higher priced amps for fear that someone will buy a whole sh*tload in order to recieve a big discount, and will be able to sell their amps at a profit for just over what he bought them from the manufacturer for.....thus making him either break even or take a loss.

This way, even the smallest of shops can buy a Mesa product and know that they'll make profit when they sell it.

I also think they set the prices just high enough to slow down sales to the point where they can keep up with the demand.

But those are just opinions.....

screamingdaisy said:
I think they do it so that various stores don't compete against each other.....that way they can garanty each store owner a set amount of profit.

A friend of mine owns a medium sized store, and the pricing schemes of some manufacturers/distributors makes making a reasonable profit difficult at times, and also makes alot of stores balk at selling higher priced amps for fear that someone will buy a whole sh*tload in order to recieve a big discount, and will be able to sell their amps at a profit for just over what he bought them from the manufacturer for.....thus making him either break even or take a loss.

This way, even the smallest of shops can buy a Mesa product and know that they'll make profit when they sell it.

I also think they set the prices just high enough to slow down sales to the point where they can keep up with the demand.

But those are just opinions.....

Exactly my thoughts too.

Wholesaler, manufacturers benefits from more distributors and wants their dealers to stay in business.

I'm really surprise how many Guitar Centers are MESA representative that is mentioned on this board. I've been to many Guitar Centers around my area and only one is an authorized dealer. Not sure why though, most of the M/B Authorized dealers in my area are smaller guitar shops where you could have honest conversation with the salesperson and not those who wants a quick sale.

Well that's what I experienced.

Latest posts

Back