whats the best option?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
so i have the mkiv combo, but i play metal... i unfortunately dont have the kind of money right now to buy all the stuff that i want or else i wouldnt be on here asking this. all i have is the mark iv w/c90 and a stock ibanez s540. i'd like to have a cab, overdrive, noise suppressor, g-major, probably a new guitar, and lots of other stuff. i can only really afford a cab OR the effects OR a guitar. i dont want to cut corners and buy cheap stuff and regret it later so im taking steps buying the big toys. whats going to make the biggest improvement in my tone for now? or what order would YOU buy things in?

Get a 4x12 cab. I've been seeing quite a few recto 4x12s on craigslist for $500, which is probably your best option for the money.

If you've got a bit more $$, check out the VHT cabs - I have a Fat Bottom 4x12 that has exceeded my expectations. They also have a new Deliverance model that I've heard glowing reviews about.

There's lots of old marshall cabs out there. Try one before you buy any because lots of people in this forum have had bad experiences with mkivs and marshall cabs (perhaps V30s in general).

Also, I tried an Orange 4x12 with my mkiv and it sounded terrible - best to avoid, or try some radical EQ tricks.

Agreed - go with the cab first; cabs make a huge difference. Also, you might try a more "metal" pup in your S540 - the OEM pups weren't terribly good in mine. I just put a GFS "Crunchy Rails" in the bridge, and that is better, but it's not what I am looking for (seems really compressed?); the "Crunchy PAT" in the neck, though, is very nice!:D The 540 is a great guitar; I wouldn't be too hasty in replacing it if the neck is a good fit for you - mine is my favorite of four Ibanez models I now own (two are newer Prestiges).

Hope the guitar diversion wasn't too far OT - now back to Boogie!

no no, thanks for the input on the guitar. i like it, it just needs to be setup better and have the frets reworked as theres a couple dying ones. i just have no clue what pickups to put in it, something ive been wanting to do for a long time but never got around to. :|

lol: i have an s520, i accidentally put s540 in the op.

Latest posts

Back