what's a good price for used JC-120?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paleamberglow

Reaction score
i am looking for a used Roland JC-120 or JC-120 head. what do they usually go for used and in very good to mint condition? any info would be appreciated, thanks

I was looking at picking one up this Spring. The going price on E-bay is around 500-600 in the 2x12 combo. The head version runs about 400-500. If you can get below those figures consider yourself happy. Be advised though that there were some changes done to the JC-120 over the years and be sure that you get the original speakers. As far as the changes go, you should be able to tell which one you want because it is more of a personal preference kind of thing. The clean is still amazing in either version. The chorus is good in both too. Also look at the smaller versions. They made a 60 something, 70 something, and 90 watt version. They all sound good. I was sniped everytime I had winning bids in the last minute up to the last few seconds. So be sure to bid the max of whatever you are willing to spend. E-bay is getting kind of flaky like that. Also be sure to really check out the seller's feedback received and try to avoid the shipping inflation scams. At GC you will find their pricing is comparable to the after shipping cost. So if you happen across one in good condition there you might want to pick it up being that you can check it out right there and do the touchy feely thing. Another thing to do is look at the blue book values. This will help you make your decisions though trends and demand can cause the pricing to fluctuate.

thanks russ. just curious, what made you decide to not get one after all?

I was also thinking of getting a new JC-90 if I don't get a used 120. Do the smaller speakers make a big difference on the sound, does it sound the same as the 120 ? and is the 90 loud enough for playing an un-mic'ed gig with?

The 90 is still pretty **** loud. The smaller speakers are no problem. It is still cleaner than anything out there. I would suggest that if you got the smaller speakers to get the larger 12 inch speakers and put them in an open back cabinet simulating the larger combo. This is not to say that the smaller combo lacks anything but I just happen to like moving more air and the sound of 12s v 10s.

I ended up running into a slight financial hardship that left me unable to continue forward with the purchase. I have had my eye out for one and just today found a used JC-120 locally that the seller is sacrificing for $300. I haven't gone to see it yet but I plan on it after the weekend. I might be able to swing it now that things are settling for me. I just have a fishing trip that I am supposed to be going on that will have me out of town for the weekend. I figure that after the weekend I will know exactly what I have in my account and will be able to at least work out a deal if the seller can wait a couple days. It might just be the deal I was looking for anyway and a reward for waiting.

I missed it..... ****! I was gone on a fishing trip and came back and it was gone/sold. I have another JC120 2x12 in my sights that is being sold locally for $500.

cool, hope you can manage to get one. I still want to get one to use in a smaller rig with fx pedals and no rack. might be cool also to get an AB box and use the clean of the JC and lead on the mark IV together

I had a JC120 back in the early 90s, fantastic amp, and currently have a JC90. The JC90 with the 10" speakers doesn't move as much air as the JC120 and doesn't seem to have as much low end. It is however, quite loud.

I also have a RKII and go back and forth almost weekly about selling the JC90. The RKII has great cleans and works well with my effects. I'd just hate to get rid of the JC90 and then want it again. There are a few things I regret selling in the past, the JC120 and my Rickenbacker 360/12 WB are two of them. What a combination those two were.

Also, compared to the RKII, the JC90 has a some hiss at lower volumes. Perhaps I am getting used to how dead quiet the RKII is. Let me know how your search for a JC120 goes, perhaps it will be on a day I am looking to get rid of the JC90.

I checked out the songs on your page, nice work.

Latest posts

Back