What was your first amp???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok so mine was some little 4 inch speaker that had an input jack and a volume knob ithink it was a 2watter. lol The amp was covered in what looked like carpet but felt like hard plastic fiber what bragging rights hahah

marshall valvestate head with 4x12 marshall cab.... no to bad of a setup for starting off.... it had a good clean and i got a pretty good distortion with a metal zone in front

now my first real amp was a 2 channel TR with a 4x12 traditional cab.... i didnt like the clean so i used an a/b switch used the marshall for clean and the mesa for the heavy stuff.... both ehads were run through the mesa cab.... then i saved up enough for a jc-120 and kissed the marshall good bye

My first amp was a Lab Series L3
I bought it in 1979 along with my silver Les Paul.
I paid $800.00 for the guitar and amp. I still have both.
I use the Les Paul as my main guitar when I gig.
The Lab Series just sits in my practice space. Sometimes I do pull it out and plug into it and play for a little bit just for fun.

I now see my same guitar selling for close to $3000.00 but I do not think that little amp will bring very much.

I started with my uncle's Gibson guitar and amp in 1980, a pair of pieces he bought for something like $100 from a beauty parlor in Eugene OR, in like 1972. The guitar I have possession of once more, after a hiatus of many years whence his stepson used it. The poor kid ended up selling the amp for a Peavey, and I never told either of them how crazy it made me that they did this without asking me first (I was on my first Boogie at the time)... gah, the guitar is kinda modest for a Gibson hollow-body, but that amp was something special.

It was something in the tweed GA-line, like a GA-9 or something. It had 4 knobs, I think: volume, tone, speed and depth. The tone pot fell into the the chassis at one point, so that knocked it down to just three. Someone's youngster had methodically dropped about a dozen crayons into the amp sometime, which probably extended the lifetime of the wiring but gave it a funny smell when it was turned on. It had a footswitch hardwired into the amp for the tremolo. It must have put out something like 10 watts, all fluffy and saturated and beautiful, and it made me feel like a rock star with my Memphis Les Paul copy.

Below are some pics of one of the GA-line amps, but much more fancy than mine (I mean, my uncle's) was...

ga-45t_1959b.jpg
ga-45t_1959.jpg

Some good vintage Gibson amp info is here.

The first amp I ever went out and bought was a Crate CR-1. The Original wooden "crate" looking ones. I loved that amp and wished for a long time they would have had the CR-1R "same amp with reverb" in stock when I bought mine.

My first amp was a black-face Fender Deluxe Reverb. My uncle gave me that and a Rickenbacker copy called 'Orlando' after I had been playing Zeppelin tunes on my nylon string. Unfortunately, I ended up selling it a few years later (along with a '78 Les Paul), because it wasn't 'metal' enough for me. I will always regret making that sale.

how about an ibanez 15 watt and a squire bullet with dead strings and a semi broken input jack.

good times. good tones. lol

Nice post!!

Well lets see ... my first amp was FENDER 15w combo amp, bought it AU$500 together with fender guitar.

Next amp was Gorilla 15w combo amp, had a jack problem, but well its only a practice amp.

Later on, it was Marshall mg100hdx. This was first marshall. Man i was so happy ... hahaha lol but after i gained knowledge about solid state and tube. I got rid of it

I bought Peavey Valveking 100w combo. I dont know some ppl like, but i dont. Everytime I 'chug' an E chord. It farted. Maybe a speaker problem. Sold it to a guy on ebay.

I bought Marshall DSL50, good amp, but i kinda dissapointed with the switching problem. Still here with me ... really wanna sell coz it's in use anymore. Coz i just bought my dream amp 'mesa/boogie single recto'

hey there!
this is my first post :p

i hope to have great time here!
well,
my first amp was a combo :?

...a roadster combo :wink:

...well... no, no it wasn´t :(
it was a 15w fender squire :shock:
yes...

but the sad true, is that right now, i dont own
any amp :cry:

(earning for a roadster combo :? )

i suppose officially the first amp I had was a peavy TNT 150 bass amp I used for my Yamaha DX7.

When I got my first guitar, an aria pro II, I bought it with an amp included. It was a little dean markley amp with like a 6 or 8 inch speaker, and a DOD FX "American Metal" pedal. I gave like 60 bux for it plus whatever the pedal cost. So this would be my first "guitar amp".

I rolled on this rig for about 6 months, then figured I wanted to do this full time, thats when I bought my JCM 800 and my LP. I have played it for almost 20 years now, but I just bought my first boogie last month. Now its all I want to use.

yay mesa!!

my first amp was called AXTECH 20 it was bundled with a cheap guitar for $199. it did the trick with my dod death metal pedal...which i later "upgraded" to a boss metal zone :)

my first tube amp was a peavey classic 50 head that i kept for about 10 years until i sold it to buy my stilletto

i did have a jcm800 over that time and had a brief flirtation with modelling amps.

The Fender Frontman 15 :) 15 mega watts packed into an 8 inch speaker, along with my Squire strat. Came in a jam pack that I got from the pawn shop for $150. 8)

1986: Peavey Backstage Plus
1988: Peavey Renown 400 (still have it... it will NEVER DIE...)
2000: Triaxis + 50/50
2003: Mark IV
2004: F-50
2008: another Mark IV

Teisco Del Ray Checkmate......I paid $44 for it AND the guitar...brand new...at a Arlan's department store in Allen Park MI. circa 1966

A real POS, but I loved it. It sounded so crappy, I'm surprised I stayed interested in playing guitar.

I honestly have no idea. I started playing when I was 12, and my uncle had given me and my brother a Kay SG-style guitar, and some bass amp I think. I think it had tubes, because it got really hot..but I was a complete gear ignoramus at the time. Eventually I got a 15 or 20 watt Gorilla. And I remember having one of the 1st series 15 watt Marshall Valvestate (no tubes on the original), and a Marshall MG15R. I moved up to an 80 watt SS Crate amp with chorus, GREAT cleans. Then I got a 20 watt SS Fender, that I ran on the clean channel running a Korg AX30G processor in front of; gigged for about 3 years with this setup I'm embarrassed to say now :lol: My first REAL tube amp wasn't until about 6 years ago, which was a Carvin Legacy. Then the Carvin V3 (great amp, just don't play the heavy heavy stuff anymore), which I'm selling to fund the Express 5:50 I have on order.

I know I'm really dating myself here but I started playing my freshman year in high school in 1958. We had a small trio ala "The Kingston Trio" and I played an acoustic. We then moved into garage band mode and we all got into electrics. My first amp was a 1960 Bassman and I had, and still have, a 1960 Strat. Next up was a 1963 Bassman, which I also still have. Lot's of fun back then!

Latest posts

Back