What was your first amp???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

Reaction score
Talking to alot of guitarist, often young like me, there first amps have been really wird for example;
My first amp was a "Rebel", my mate had a "Sniper7" LOL :lol: so anyway i'm just curious :idea: and find it somewhat amuseing, so im asking people what were there very first amp?

It was a Gorilla 25W solid state with an 8" speaker. That was about 20 amps ago!

Early '70 SilverFace Fender Princeton dual 6v6s(Class A onlt 12 watts), 5-something rectifier tube, various preamp and tremolo tube :cry:

Swear, that amp had rock 'n' roll written all over it. Play Stones, Ventures, Beach Boys, CCR it had the old Fender tone (duh).

Sold it to my brother-in-law in which he gave to his sister in which the sister claimed it blew up. She was playing with some friends and claim it started smoking. -> little did she realize only the electrolytic capacitor blew up.

Since then she stored it under junk in her junk room. I told her I wanna take it back (same price I sold it) even broken. She's admit she kinda lazy rummage through her junk. I don't want to seem so anxious knowing this amp now sells for $400+ in the open market or Guitar Centers in their vintage section.

My first was a used 1973 Princton reverb in dead mint condition. Really nice amp with great tone, and pretty loud as well. I sold it in the mid-eighties for a Marshall Mosfet half stack, what a mistake... But hey, nobody in the eighties was into great cleans to mild overdrive. I was into Metallica etc. so it had to go.... Too bad. I had an acoustic guitar with a SD soundhole pup that I ran through it alot, and it sounded excellent. Plus my japanese strat was great as well.
Live and learn..... :roll:
ax. :twisted:

my_first_rig.jpg

The very first one was from Sears. It and my first guitar, also from Sears, together were $79 in 1978.

A year later, I got a Stage 210, which was a Unicord product. It had built-in distortion, which was called "Clipping."

When I got my first apartment, I needed a small amp with a headphone jack. A Gallien-Krueger 250ML did the job.

Finally, my first tube amp was a Peavey Classic 20, a later a Classic 30.

In 1996, my first Mesa, a DC-5. I had that until I got my Nomad last year. This year I bought a NOS Blue Angel, and I've got one of the last Reverend Kingsnakes on the way.

Mine was an old guitar case amplifier. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but the speaker and amp were built right right into the guitar case. It could have been a Silvertone, but I'm not sure. I bought it along with an old Apollo fiddle shaped guitar. That thing used to make my fingers bleed! It think that I paid $25 or $30 for the pair at a second hand store.

A Crate 15-watt practice amp. Shortly after that it was a Tube Works Tube Driver 100-watt 1x12 combo (which I still own).

Makes me appreciate the Dual Rectifier and Rect-O-Verb I have now.

Some of you had nice amps for first amps and some are like me with wird crappy ones, i'll have to ask another friend at school becuase i know he played a wird one.
By the way my other friends first amp was called an "Assen Pro" :lol:

an early 90s Squier "Bullet" 15w combo. I still have it. Its great for lo-fi punk rock renditions, everything else forget about it.

My first tube amp was a single recto though.

Yeah i still have my Rebel, LOL i use it as a TV stand, its called a REBELKC40 LOL my first tube amp is the one i have now the tremoverb. I guess every1 has to start somewhere its jsut funny to see the wird amps we all got some time ago.

My first guitar amp was a Fender Deluxe 85...solid state from the mid 80's. It had this feature that allowed you to run both the clean and the distorted channel simultaneously...didn't really use it like that, though.

Upgraded this for a slightly better Fender Deluxe 112 Plus.

My first tube amp was an Ampeg Reverberocket RI...very nice amp...incredible clean channel, awesome lush swirling reverb, but I wanted more gain...so traded it in for the F50 I have now. I tell you though, I really miss that reverb, even though the F50 has one of the better Mesa reverbs I've heard, it's still not that great...probably my biggest complaint about the F50.[/img]

'66 Fender Deluxe Reverb. Paid the princely sum of $100 for it, back in 1979. Didn't really understand why it distorted so much, wasn't very loud, sold it in 1981, when I got my first and only Marshall 50 watt JMP master vol. and 4x12 carvin cab.

Still have the cab.

**** sure wish I still had the Deluxe.

Back