What type of Pickups are you using with ur roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjae

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just wondering what pickups are people using with their roadster. I alternate four guitars. A japanese fender strat, detuned lespaul with EMGs, PRS custom 24, and a PRS SC245.

I usually use my strat for clean sounds and the single coils sound great.
My les paul with EMGs are great with the detuned lespaul because the clarity in these pickups are stunning. The 18volt mod did wonders.
My custom 24 is okay. I don't know...It plays great but the pickups sound a bit...nasty... in a bad way.
My SC245 is my favorite. Plays nice and sounds great. However, the pickups seem to lack a power a bit. Sounds more vintage that I want it to be.

I'm looking for new pickups for my PRS custom 24 and SC 245. I play in a cover band that covers alot of ground so I'm looking for versatility. Any opinions on the Suhr Aldrigde pickups? I heard they sound great. It would be great if you guys can recommend me some pickup sets that are versatile yet sound good. Generally I'm looking for a calibrated set with a hotter bridge humbucker.

Thanks

cjae said:
Hi,

I'm just wondering what pickups are people using with their roadster. I alternate four guitars. A japanese fender strat, detuned lespaul with EMGs, PRS custom 24, and a PRS SC245.

I usually use my strat for clean sounds and the single coils sound great.
My les paul with EMGs are great with the detuned lespaul because the clarity in these pickups are stunning. The 18volt mod did wonders.
My custom 24 is okay. I don't know...It plays great but the pickups sound a bit...nasty... in a bad way.
My SC245 is my favorite. Plays nice and sounds great. However, the pickups seem to lack a power a bit. Sounds more vintage that I want it to be.

I'm looking for new pickups for my PRS custom 24 and SC 245. I play in a cover band that covers alot of ground so I'm looking for versatility. Any opinions on the Suhr Aldrigde pickups? I heard they sound great. It would be great if you guys can recommend me some pickup sets that are versatile yet sound good. Generally I'm looking for a calibrated set with a hotter bridge humbucker.

Thanks

did you do the 18v mod yourself?

as for the Aldrich pups, I'm going to put a set in my PRS McCarty after getting a bunch of recomendations at Birds and Moons as well as some forumites here. All i've heard are good things about them and definitely seems like what i'm looking for (more output without excessive compression).

Get the Aldrich...I could spend the rest of the night telling you how awesome they are, but I don't have that sort of time right now.

Let's just say they're in all 3 of my PRS Singlecuts :wink:

I've been running Bill Lawrence p'ups in my main axe (1973 Les Paul Custom) for the last few weeks (L-500R Neck, L-500XL Bridge). So far I really like what I'm hearing, especially with the L-500R switched to parallel for cleans.

I had been running actives (EMG & SD Blackouts) but was growing tired of the one trick pony sound. I was looking for a high output passive for the bridge and a thick and full p'up for the neck and the BL's deliver big time, with alot more dynamics than I could ever muster out of actives.

I've never tried the Aldrich, but alot of people rave about them.

Good Luck,
Dom

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Get the Aldrich...I could spend the rest of the night telling you how awesome they are, but I don't have that sort of time right now.

Let's just say they're in all 3 of my PRS Singlecuts :wink:

i love it when your posts make me break out the plastic :wink:

i emailed greg and hopefully i'll hear back soon on the aldrich pups. do you have the covered or uncovered? does it even make a difference int he tone?

I got the uncovered Aldrich pups, but that was the look I was going for (zebra)....I bet the covered ones might be a TINY bit mellower in the treble, but most people probably won't be able to tell the difference. I'd just go for the look you like...they're outstanding pickups, and will deliver one way or the other.

I use a Chevy 2500HD. :lol:

on the Tele I have Lawrence pickups
on the 57 RI-LP it's burstbuckers
on the 57 RI Strat it's Fralins

nomad100hd said:
i'm curious about how the SD's differ from the EMG's?

To me the SD Blackout Bridge p'up is like a cross between the EMG 81 & 85 at the bridge. It's suprisingly warm for a ceramic p'up with gobs of output and a nice bite. The Blackout Neck p'up was just way too boomy for me in the Les Paul no matter how low I set the height/volume. I eventually settled on the SD Blackout at the bridge and an EMG 60A at the neck.

I switched back to passives with the BL's in my Paul for their versatility and 3D-like textures. IMO actives are great for full blown distortion, but somewhat lacking in dynamics.

Dom

hEY

I have WCR Fillmores in my Les Paul Class 5

I have SD 59 and a Custom Custom in my PRS Cu24

I have Lindy Fralin's in my 52 Tele RI - Bill Nash guitar - outstanding btw - want Tele crisp you can't beat Fralins

I just bought a MM Petrucci BFR that I am not at all impressed with - PUPS kinda suck - whatever the stocks are. I think they are Dimarzio's. I paid too much for this guitar (new) and it is pissing me off. Just don't like it. Its trying to be a PRS and not cutting it. Anybody interested in it? Its very pretty. Blue curly top. Got the inlay and the piezo. literally brand new.

I have a Charvel San Dimas that I use for EVH kind of stuff - lots of pinchs and a very small amount of tappingf - great SD's in there for distorted stuff, not so hot in cleans, but the guitar is not designed to be played clean. SD 59's I think. That is an incredible playing guitar BTW - a San Dimas Copperhead snakeskin finish - just a way cool guitar all the way around. Very nice Floyd on it - stays in tune no matter how hard I stand on it...

joe187 said:
I just bought a MM Petrucci BFR that I am not at all impressed with - PUPS kinda suck - whatever the stocks are. I think they are Dimarzio's. I paid too much for this guitar (new) and it is pissing me off. Just don't like it. Its trying to be a PRS and not cutting it. Anybody interested in it? Its very pretty. Blue curly top. Got the inlay and the piezo. literally brand new.

you think its trying to be a PRS? my impressions of it were a little more ibanez than anything else except it was more comfortable and played like butter. The pups in it aren't really my favorites either but thats what JP uses and to me thats why one would buy that guitar. Not in a fanboy way but in a "i want his tone way".

My exposure to Ibanez has been a Jem that I just sold. Ironically to buy the Petrucci. The Jem is probably different to any of the other Ibanez's - especially the neck, so I doubt it is a good example. I said PRS cause I think it plays a lot like the PRS' I have had the pleasure to play. Its a lot like my Cu24. It is a very nice playing guitar - buttah is right. I am just not into the sound, and I guess it has really biased mne against it. I have to stand back and make a fair assessment. I've only had it a couple of months, and I haven't been playing much (f'ing Carpal Tunnel... pray that it doesn't creep up on you..)

Hey,
I did the 18v mod. It is really easy... basically connecting two batteries in series.. took about 10mins. I really recommend it... it just sounds so much better.. clearer... I only use the EMGs in my detuned lespaul for the low end resolution and high output but they do sound great clean too..however def a one trick pony. I guess I'll try the aldrich sets in both my CU24 and SC245. Do u know a good dealer I can get SUHR pups from?
Thanks,

cjae said:
Hey,
I did the 18v mod. It is really easy... basically connecting two batteries in series.. took about 10mins. I really recommend it... it just sounds so much better.. clearer... I only use the EMGs in my detuned lespaul for the low end resolution and high output but they do sound great clean too..however def a one trick pony. I guess I'll try the aldrich sets in both my CU24 and SC245. Do u know a good dealer I can get SUHR pups from?
Thanks,

i gotta try that one day. did you solder any of the wiring or just use those wire connector cap things (sorry i'm an industrial engineer not electrical)? i'll see if i can find a DYI on the 18V mod.

as for suhr dealers i just went through Greg from Rocket Music and he hooked me up with the gold covered Aldrich pups (neck and bridge) at a **** good price.

for the 18 volt mod, i just soldered the wires just to be safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmiVT_pUDh4

I think this video gives you an idea about the difference between 9 V vs 18V.

IIRC its suppose to increase the head room of the internal preamp.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back