What tubes do you prefer?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6L6 = american muscle car(nasty lopy 383 stroker v8 )

el34 = euro sports car(purring DOHC inline 6)
I like your analogy :lol:
Well I own a Ford XR6 4 Litre Turbo :twisted: so I might have to go with the 6L6s seeing sound is the main thing with the guitar rig unlike my choice of cars. fast=important :twisted: :twisted:

Guitarzan,

That is true - but you have to find a good one, which can be like finding a good mechanic. A new person can be helpless, believing everything they hear from these sages. Good advice is out there though, but this can get expensive.

bscfo1 said:
Guitarzan,

That is true - but you have to find a good one, which can be like finding a good mechanic. A new person can be helpless, believing everything they hear from these sages. Good advice is out there though, but this can get expensive.

Expensive and tube amps go hand in hand especially on a Mesa site. Just because you had a bad experience does not mean everyone else will. Mesa even states they don't choose tubes for the best sound but the most longevity. There are better current production tubes than sovtek that are very reliable which are actually cheaper than "Mesa" tubes. I would rather pay $7 or $8 for a tube that I like rather than $15-$20 for one that has a cool logo printed on it. In the end I believe the uninformed consumer(IE the one that believes hype about certain Mesa tubes or ones that listen on to NOS dealers) will get shafted always due to their own ignorance. The internet is full of information it's a shame so many choose not to look.

You got ripped off/duped on some bad tubes and seem to be having an extremely hard time getting over it. I hope you one day will put your gaurd down and relax a bit. This isn't a big deal and a purely opioninated discussion but you seem to making your statements based off a bad dealing with a NOS dealer and nothing else. Have a good day!

bscfo1 said:
Guitarzan,

There are a couple of good sources here...You'll have to do some reading but you will recoginze who knows what their talking about. It's like reading a Chiltons repair manual for a 1992 Toyota Landcruiser with standard transmission... hence, very Mesa specific.

disassembled,

You're right, you could call it burned, but really it's just dissapointment, because my expectations of NOS tubes was high. I really wanted them to work in there regardless of cost. At any rate, my Mark IV happens to sound pretty good even with the stock Sovteks, so I think I'll leave it that way for now. Maybe I'll see what Groove Tubes has to offer one day. Truth is though, It WAS a little smoother with the NOS's, but not enough to take a chance on something happening.

That's good advice - I should lighten up. This is supposed to be fun. And I do love it. I just sucks to think of people that don't know better getting taken advantage of.

Bottom line for me: Buy the right amp first. Good tubes might not make the wrong amp for you sound like the right one. Never met a tube amp that I didn't like though!!

I've never played either one of those! I did play a Krank Revolution last weekend though. It wasn't too bad, it had a better clean channel than I expected. But the distortion was brutal. A bit fizzy for my tastes. I'd bet if you really turned it up though, it might clean up a bit, but by that time you'd be deaf and sterile sitting in front of it.

Should've just said I prefer tube amps. Although I recorded through a SansAmp and got good tones. That said, I could probably find a use for any piece of gear. Remember that guy that played the chainsaw!

And now - Jesse Dupree on lead blender! LOL!

Back