What tubes do you prefer?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer JJ's and NOS..(Phillips, sylvania, etc) for the power section, and the regular chinese or ehx 12AX7's for the preamp section.

the 12at7 replacing the 12ax7 has some electronic matters and issues, if you download the datasheet of both tubes you could see that they are a bit different and they need a correction value on the anode and cathode resistors, you must to get a lower value for that resistors.
In the other hand we have the 5751 tubes that I discovered with the helpness of timberwolf.
The 5751 fits perfectly with the features of the 12ax7 and could be replaced as changing tomatoes, the 12ax7 has a mu of 100 the 12at7 has 60 and the 5751 has 70.
For this reasons I think that 5751 is a great value for a phase inverter or splitter

on the amp tone??''
well in theory the gain has an inverse relationship with the bandwidth, the more gain the less highs. The less gain the more highs.
But... in practice I think that you will not hear so much differences on the tone

Retuebed last night.

The amp in question (MkIII) was tubed with a mixture of Sovtek 12AX7WXT+ and 12AX7WB. The power amp had Sovtek5881WXT and EL34WXT in the power amp. These tubes got the job done, and sounded good, but were nothing special IMO.

I tried JJs in the preamp, and they darkened it up too much. They lacked the high end harmonics that the next set of tubes had (EH), and compared to the EH tubes it sounded like I was plugged in using cheap 50ft guitar lead. These tubes would be great if you want to calm an amp down and darken the top end, but they weren't for me.

The EH tubes were the best out of the three I tried. They were full sounding with a full bottom end and great harmonic complexity in the top end that improved as the gain went up. I swapped each position in the amp between all three and decided to stick with EH throughout....though a JJ on the reverb driver also sounded good.

For power tubes, the only extra tubes I have on hand is Svetlana 6L6s and EHX EL34s. Switching to those improved the overall depth and richness of the amp compared to the Sovteks that were in there. I don't want to do a comparison beyond this since I don't know how used up those Sovtek tubes were.

Because these tubes came from other amps, I'll be ordering a pair of SED 6L6GC and a pair of EHX EL34EH for it. I've had really good results with Svetlana 6L6s in the past, and everything I hear about SED (also made by Svetlana) says they're better. Later on I'll also experiment with a pair of JJ 6L6s. The only other EL34 tube I'm interested in trying is Svetlana, though in the reviews I've read EHX seems to rate higher.

so I have 3 alternatives for the reverb.
1) A digital reverb
2) Custom made reverb rack designed by mysel I used to implement it 2 12at7, because I need great current for the tank reverb
3) For reverbs that becomes with amps I think that 5751 will be so great. I don´t know because I´m still waiting for my 5751 :wink:

The EH tubes were the best out of the three I tried.
that is the fucking true, no NOS tubes are needed, the eh tubes pumps your amp beyond the seven sky

I didn´t do the order, because I´m so busy with all my jobs, but I had received a Rode Classic microphone to repair it, and I must to order a couple of tubes for it, so I will also order my 5751 :D
For the moment the best regular tubes for me are the eh, jj and svetlana

fatboy135 said:
I didn´t do the order, because I´m so busy with all my jobs, but I had received a Rode Classic microphone to repair it, and I must to order a couple of tubes for it, so I will also order my 5751 :D
For the moment the best regular tubes for me are the eh, jj and svetlana

Ok It's been a few months...did you get the 5751?

Tried many of them and eventually had problems with the amp. I only trust Mesa and Groove Tubes for my Mark IV now. If you really don't like your tone, just get a different amp because you can't change what's in the circuitry.

Me too. I did it on my triaxis and 20/20 power amps. I even changed the crummy tubes that came with them (Chinese 12ax7's and Sov el84's). Changing the tubes absolutely made a difference on the tone for the better.

What about tonal differences between the EL34s and the 6L6s? I'm especially curious with regards to power amps.

rdomain said:
What about tonal differences between the EL34s and the 6L6s? I'm especially curious with regards to power amps.

6L6 = american muscle car(nasty lopy 383 stroker v8 )

el34 = euro sports car(purring DOHC inline 6)

The El34 is not as strong as the 6L6 electronically and tonally with a weaker bottom and harsher highs...but that midrange!! That's what they are known for. The KT77 and E34L try to make up the bottom end but can't really do it fully.

In the end they are two very different tubes. The best is to use both at the same time!

My point is it's not a drastic change. If you don't like to sound of your amp and you just can't pinpoint it, it's probably because that particular amp is not for you. So- don't waste your money on expensive tubes to try to change it.

Yes - I agree you can make slight changes, but it really boils down to how obsessive you are with this and the fact that your biggest factor to your tone is in your hands.

Let me put it this way: I didn't like the Road King because it sounded buzzy when I played it. Funny thing is, it sounds GREAT when Petrucci plays it.

bscfo1 said:
Yes - I agree you can make slight changes, but it really boils down to how obsessive you are with this

The folks that are obsessive around here have taught most of the newer folks how to go about changing tone without doing alot of homework. Treat it as sage advice.

Back