What to go with a Mark IV head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sealunar

Reaction score
I don't know what brand of Mesa or what size cabinet to go with a Mark IV.
They have suggested either the Rectifier or Stiletto cab, and 2x12 or 4x12. Please inform me if there is a major sound difference (excluding volume of course). And keep in mind that my price range is about $500.

Any of the cabs will sound good. If you are looking for portability you could consider two Thiele cabs. They are 1x12, closed back, front ported, and designed for the EV 12L.

If size isn't a problem, a Recto 4x12 sounds excellent with a IV. Or you could hunt down a used halfback cab. They're talked about a lot on this forum.

Or a Recto 2x12 and a Thiele with an EV.

Or a vertical recto 2x12 if you have a short head.

3/4 Back 1x12 and Roadster 1x12 (rear ported)

Lots of options...

Oh, $500. Well that excludes a lot of the 4x12s unless you find a beat up Mesa. Nothing wrong with a Marshall cab, really, but the Mesa build quality is better.

Recto 2x12 or a Thiele with an EV will both work better than you might think, for > $500.

If you can find an older "Half-Back" Mesa cab on ebay or on here I think it would compliment your amp very nicely. As for the difference in the Stiletto and the Recto cabs, the Rectifier cabs are said to have a lot more bottom end, where the Stiletto cabs have more midrange-which might suit the more creamy distortion sound of the Mark IV. But, if you can find somewhere that sells the Recto and Stiletto cabs new, take your amp in and play through each of them and see what your ears like the best. Just keep in mind, on a $500 budget, you're going to have to buy used, so the speakers will be broken in a little better with aging.

-AJH

All depends of the style your are playing and the sound you wish to achieve. You have to consider that these two cabs are not for everyone.

Personnally, I found that that the Stilleto cab has a lack of bottom, but this is all to my taste. I play a Rectifier Standard myself and the sound I've got is just huge. I had this cab runned by a Peavey Bandit Combo before I got my Mark IV and I didn't realise until now how huge this cab sounds.

It is a matter of taste. I would say the best you could do is to make sure that you local dealer has a Stilleto and a Rectifier Standard in stock ( you may want to try a Rectifier Traditional too, these are a lot tighter and focused), and you get there with your head, and just try. It is the best way to come out with the right cab. Because, such a cab is a real investment, if you don't like the sound it produce, you will be stuck a long time with this sound ( considering you don't sell it, because if not, it will never break... never!)

You may want to post your musical style so we could suggest you the right cab.

try a vader cab. they have a really nice tight bottom end that never goes mushy or muddy. Plus construction quality is super good on them. IMO beats marshall cabs and pars with mesa cabs.

Big band such as Necrophagist plays Vader Cabs. I wonder why these are not better known, I'd love to try one one day.

Do you know if we have to buy them directly from the company? Or is it purchasable in USA and Canada?

you have to buy form company but i bought mine off ebay. I really liked it compared to the old stiletto cab i had

Back