What the hell is up with my tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xT00BZRG00Dx

Reaction score
I'm using an Ibanez RG2EX1 with installed EMG 81 and 85 pickups with a Boogie Mark III (Red-Stripe, 100-watt head with half-power switch) going through a Randall R412XLT (Randall 4x12 with V30's). My tone is pretty bad. It's harsh and loose and way too bright when I want a VERY tight and dark metal rhythm tone. I have no idea what the hell is wrong. Either this amp is WAY overrrated or I am doing something wrong. My volume is around 2 on Master and 1.5-2 on Lead Master. Is the lack or crankage my problem??? The tubes are around 2 years old. Do I need a retube? My settings are as followed:
Presence: 0
Treble: 7 (pulled)
Bass: 2
Middle: 4
Volume: 7 (pulled)
Lead Drive: 7 (pulled)
Master: 2 (pulled)
Lead Master: 1.5 (pulled)
GEQ:
80: Full
240: 75%
750: 50%
2200: 60%
6600: 75%

What am I doing wrong? My tone sucks

why is your treble up so high and so little bass? i thought you wanted a darker tone! also dont be afraid to use the full range of your EQ and pull those mids down more to tighten up the sound a bit.

Mind you I dont own a Mark 3 but I have a nomad and this is what i would try if i were in your situation.

Back down on the 80hz...It's probably the culprit on the loose sound.

Have you looked over Lamb of God's settings? They're posted all around this forum. They have a dark sound IMO

Also, 2 year old power tubes are likely a contributor to shitty tone. Especially if they have either a lot of hours on them, or a decent amount of high-volume hours on them... or both. I bet if you load that sucker up with some fresh tubes you'll **** your pants and wondered why you hadn't done it sooner :lol:

Old tubes lose overall definition, accentuate high-end, and lose the sense of deepness and richness that you want.

This is for a Mark III, right? Leave the bass knob alone. Too much bass in the pre-amp is a major cause of un-tightness. Bass should be 2-4 at the most. Maybe even zero, and pull the Bass Shift.
Reducing the Mids with the knob won't do sh!t as it is the weakest tone control.
You need the treble at about seven to get the best crunch.
It does seem like there's a bit too much bottom on the Graphic and Pull Deep on the Master, especially with a 4 x 12.
Push in the Bright on the Lead. It's just ice-pick city.
Does the 750 slider at 50% mean it's on the middle line, i.e., flat?
I find that when playing on Lead with a band, I actually use a slight (VERY slight) reverse "smiley face", meaning there is a bit of a Mid boost rather than a severe cut, very slight cut of the high (6600) and bottom (80). Tighten up!
Lastly, what's the impedance on that Randall cab? AFAIK, it has 4 & 16 ohm mono & 8 ohm stereo inputs. Try running two speaker cables, one from each of the 4 ohm outs on the Mark III to the 8 ohm inputs on the cab, for a correct match.
The manual has more (and probably better) suggestions for metal sounds.
Hope this helps :D

Try this - ps> i haven't had a mark III for a couple years, so....

Presence: 3
Treble: 8 (pulled)
Bass: 4
Middle: 5
Volume: 8.5
Master: 4.5
Lead Drive: 7 (pulled)
Lead Master: 1.5

MrMarkIII said:
This is for a Mark III, right? Leave the bass knob alone. Too much bass in the pre-amp is a major cause of un-tightness. Bass should be 2-4 at the most. Maybe even zero, and pull the Bass Shift.
Reducing the Mids with the knob won't do sh!t as it is the weakest tone control.
It does seem like there's a bit too much bottom on the Graphic and Pull Deep on the Master, especially with a 4 x 12.
I find that when playing on Lead with a band, I actually use a slight (VERY slight) reverse "smiley face", meaning there is a bit of a Mid boost rather than a severe cut, very slight cut of the high (6600) and bottom (80). Tighten up!
Lastly, what's the impedance on that Randall cab? AFAIK, it has 4 & 16 ohm mono & 8 ohm stereo inputs. Try running two speaker cables, one from each of the 4 ohm outs on the Mark III to the 8 ohm inputs on the cab, for a correct match.

Thanks alot. But wouldn't doing what was bolded be a mismatch since i'm going from 4 to 8?

xT00BZRG00Dx said:
MrMarkIII said:

Thanks alot. But wouldn't doing what was bolded be a mismatch since i'm going from 4 to 8?
No, the two 4 ohm jacks on the amp are meant to take one 8 ohm load each, for a total load of 4 ohms. Refer to the manual.

Latest posts

Back