What rating Step-down Transformer for Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam02

Reaction score
Ok basically im getting a Mark IVB short head sent over to me to the UK from the states. I know i need a step-down transformer to use it untill i can afford to get the power transformer and Varister swapped out.

Can anyone tell me what rating step-down transformer i require and any other advice about these kinds of things?

I know the mark IV is 85 watts but i dont think thats the actual current draw of the unit. Thanks.

Adam, I not sure about the Mk4, I use the same 300W rated step down transformer for my MK3 and MK2C+. When I bought the transformer I also bought a device that measured the wattage being drawn, but I can't remember where it is now or what the exact value was. Isn't there a way of calculating this by using the fuse rating - 1A fuse x 240V = 240W. Actually your amp will have a fuse rated for USA voltage, so the power drawn would be something like 2A x 110V = 220W.
BUT please check this before taking my word for it.
Ian

I spent 6 years in germany back in my army days. I needed a step down for all my U.S. 110 volt stuff. Get a big heavy one, expect to pay $75-$100 for a good one.. I looked on ebay, they got a few there.. just don't get one of those "travel" converters, you will surely fry something. Another thing is the electricity has different cycles (at least in germany), things like analog clocks and turntables ran slower.. I had no problems running a 100 watt solid state amp on a 300 watt transformer. But I would get at least a 800-1000 watt for a tube amp. I had a 2000 watt converter that I could run an american refridgerator on and had some juice to spare.. sucker weighed about 35 pounds...

800-1000 watt?!

WATT?!?!? :lol:

I was thinking of a decent 500 watt one would do...

you would probably be alright with a 500, I would personally just overkill it, you can always get rid of the converter once u get the right transformer. IMHO

I bought this Type5 5000watts transformer with build in voltage regulator for my US voltage amp rack..
http://www.220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/simranreg.htm

adam...when you get the mark IV , find a place that wil swap the power transformer and DON'T get the engl, get a g flex or something..

Back