What pro's use Dual Rectifier's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey. I'm glad this post has gotten so many replies. I originally started this post to better educate myself about what artists/bands are using 2 or 3 channel rectos. That simple. I'm really interested in details, like knowing which songs were recorded with what amp. Purely for the love of guitar and the recto sound.

I know some gigging bands who are endorsed by ENGL, Marshal etc... that use Recs, Marks and Stilettos...
And i who always thought Stiletto was clean sound (i never found one to play myself)... and it has an amazing high gain...

Ty Tabor of King's X
Kim Thayil: Soundgarden
John Patrucci: Dream Theater
Mike Einziger: Incubus
James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet: Metallica
Joe Satriani used them a lot on Strange Beautiful Music
Mark Tremonti: Creed
Dan Donegan: Disturbed
Munky and Head: Korn
Dave Grohl: Foo Fighters
Chris Haskett: Rollins Band
Tim Mohoney and Nick Hexum: 311
Brad Delson: Linkin Park
Wes Borland: Limp Bizkit
Buckethead
Just to name a few.

Funny thing is most on this list no longer use them, Put in bold the people that dont use them.

fixman5150 said:
Ty Tabor of King's X
John Patrucci: Dream Theater Went back to Marks
Mike Einziger: Incubus Switched to Marshall for awhile, but back to tremoverbs
James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet: Metallica James plays Diezel now
Dan Donegan: Disturbed switched to Randall
Dave Grohl: Foo Fighters Switched to fender on last album and touring with it
Tim Mohoney and Nick Hexum: 311 Tim plays diamond and Nick plays some other brand
Brad Delson: Linkin Park Switched Randdall
Wes Borland: Limp Bizkit Switched to Orange
Buckethead
Just to name a few.

siggy14 said:
Funny thing is most on this list no longer use them, Put in bold the people that dont use them.

fixman5150 said:
Ty Tabor of King's X
John Patrucci: Dream Theater Went back to Marks
Mike Einziger: Incubus Switched to Marshall for awhile, but back to tremoverbs
James Hetfield and Kirk Hammet: Metallica James plays Diezel now
Dan Donegan: Disturbed switched to Randall
Dave Grohl: Foo Fighters Switched to fender on last album and touring with it
Tim Mohoney and Nick Hexum: 311 Tim plays diamond and Nick plays some other brand
Brad Delson: Linkin Park Switched Randdall
Wes Borland: Limp Bizkit Switched to Orange
Buckethead
Just to name a few.

Kirk Hammett still uses a couple Racktifiers in his live rig, but he has also now gone from Randall to Fortin (Mike is building him two more Meatheads right now)

-AJH

Hmm Im gonna add the list of bands that I know:

Billy talent
Emil Werstler from Daath
Bullet for my valentine
Kill switch engage?
The dangerous summer
Scale the summit
Horizons (local band but they consistently use dual recs)
In flames
And Paramore

Thats pretty diverse of a list for one high gain monster :D

Seanthesheep said:
Thats pretty diverse of a list for one high gain monster :D

Recto can sound the way you want, I play in a cover band with a mini and a old boss GE-10 and i can sound like almost every band with only 2 guitars, a LP studio and a indie IPR with a emg85.
I just switch form vintage to modern to push to get 3 nice sound form different time.
I fine tune the tone with attitude and pickups switches.

You have all you need with a recto.

siggy14 said:
I listen to all kinds of music, and for the longest time everybody was using a mesa dual/triple or some sort of rectifier. From punk, to rock to metal to country, so many pro's have used these amps.

Yep, I've seen Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert and Kenny Chesney all use a Dual Recto recently. (all country dudes)

SonVolt said:
What's the deal with country guys using rectos? I don't get it... The cleans are much better on a mark.

I'd really rather not have Country music start featuring Marks as their amp of choice. Let's leave them where they are. Hahaha.

SonVolt said:
What's the deal with country guys using rectos? I don't get it... The cleans are much better on a mark.

Jason Aldean and Brantley Gilbert don't use clean settings, some of their guitars are pretty heavy, with fiddle and steel guitar over the top of it. Check out Brantley Glibert "Kick it in the Sticks"! Or even Jason Aldean "She's Country" or "My Kind of Party".

Some of these guys are A/B-ing the Recto with a clean amp (Matchless, Dr Z, BadCat, ect...).

tele_jas said:
Check out Brantley Glibert "Kick it in the Sticks"!

As a native Tennessean who now lives in Alabama, on a farm, I'd like to say this song in no way represents me. **** i feel stupider just having listened to those lyrics..

SonVolt said:
tele_jas said:
Check out Brantley Glibert "Kick it in the Sticks"!

As a native Tennessean who now lives in Alabama, on a farm, I'd like to say this song in no way represents me. **** i feel stupider just having listened to those lyrics..

Nobody listens to they lyrics anyways, it's all about the guitar and groove of the song.

I'm from "The Ozarks", and unfortunately some of the song fits the parties we play, we're sort of a "white trash" band, and enjoy that niche'. Sometimes it good to get dumbed down and not worry about anything for a night....... If I were to listen to the lyrics, that is.

Don´t forget Mitch Harris/Napalm Death...Mieszko Talarczik R.I.P./Nasum....Pat O'Brien,Rob Barrett/Cannibal Corpse....But also Agnostic Front,Comeback Kid,Throwdown,Behemot,Downset,Biohazard etc...Most of them started with marshalls but after 92 when Recto was released...everyone knows...

I have learned to take amp endorsements with a grain of salt. I remember a player endorsing the Marshall AVT20 because he used it as a practice amp during writing sessions. Is this is all you need to do to say you "use" it?

Also, anyone remember when the Dual Rec was in almost every rock music video? Even bands that you know wouldn't really use one, they were still stacked up in the back cause they looked awesome. I saw a ton of live TV performances (like on late night shows) where there was a Dual Rec stack or two behind the band and probably not even turned on. Mesa must've sold tons of Recto heads just as decorations alone...

But I don't really see them in the scenery anymore. There are 10x the amount of high gain heads out there now and I don't see Recto's as much. Luckily I've got a Tremoverb upstairs that I can go see whenever I want...

Latest posts

Back