what overdrive with DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogie35

Reaction score
Looking to add a small to moderate amount of sizzle to the DC-3 gain channel but don't want an overdrive pedal that totally changes the tone of the amp. The Boss OD-1 completely wrecks the amps tone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2 pedals that works wonderfull with the DC-3 imo are:

- Barber Direct Drive

- MI Audio Crunch Box

although the Barber will add a lil "TS sound" to it

a friend of mine also uses as Fulltone GT500 with great results (i never test it myself tho).

I just picked up a Maxon OD808 for my DC-5 and its very good at adding what I need to the amp while not changing the tone.

I use my DC3 with two overdives on the clean channel (with a clean sound setting):
- a Xotic BB Preamp for low overdrive setting (gain between 8 and 11 h)
- a Hermida Zendrive for a bluesy lead tone (gain at noon)

I think that works very well (to my ears).

For more drive I use the lead channel. I obtain a kind of pushed Vox lead sound. Finally, with the "V" eq setting (assign on lead only), that gives me a more "metal" color.

With these 5 sounds (1 clean, 4 overdrived) I 'm happy enough (I play mostly blues and classic rocks from sixties and seventies).

Well, my LP studio sounds pretty good through my DC-3, but my Strat, even with its DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker, could use a little help. I'm looking specifically for an overdrive to use on the lead channel. I was considering the Seymour Duncan pick-up booster, since that seems to be all I need, given that the LPs sound fine through the DC-3. Anyone with a DC-3 tried one of those?

after much experimentation the best agressive tone I've obtained from this amp is by running a voodu valve preamp at a low gain setting into the DC3 clean channel with the amp's gain maxed. It still sounds fairly boogie-ish and is much heavier than the DC gain channel.

Still wish the DC3 gain channel could get a little nastier on its own because using the processor isn't convenient.

boogie35 said:
Still wish the DC3 gain channel could get a little nastier on its own because using the processor isn't convenient.
I have similar feelings toward my DC-3 as well. As good as it sounds, it's just too dark, and could use a "punchier" gain character. Of course, the louder you go with this amp, the better it sounds. Turned up, it comes much closer to that Mark IV "punch."

But, I think the only fix for what we're looking to get out of our DC-3s is a mod. Monsta-Tone mentioned something to me about doing a re-bias, and a negative feedback mod, which sounds like just the ticket for this amp. Of course, an upgraded Mercury OT wouldn't hurt either. Properly modded, I bet this amp is a MONSTER. Will eventually send my DC-3 to Monsta-Tone for his special amp magic.

Meanwhile, I really don't like putting pedals in front of my amps (although, I've also been considering an overdrive pedal for my DC-3), but I am interested in trying that Seymour Duncan pick-up booster thing. That may be all this little amp needs to get that little bit of extra "oomph," WITHOUT altering its tone.

jh_store.jpg

Jekyll and Hyde by visual sound is awesome
tube screamer on one side as per original and more gain on left plus they can be used in conjucntion giving you three extra tone/gains without changing a setting

then there is all the different ways you can set it!!

Lou said:
jh_store.jpg

tube screamer on one side as per original and more gain on left plus they can be used in conjucntion giving you three extra tone/gains without changing a setting

Do you only use that kind of pedal through the amp's clean channel? Or does it work nicely through the lead channel?

Just to follow up a bit on this...

What has helped the most to add a bit more nastiness to the DC3 is switching to duncan hot rails pickups in my strat type guitar and raising them up close to the strings (about 3-4 mm away). I think this is as good as it will get. I've tried a boss HM-2, OD-1, DS-1, and Tube Screamer to try and get a more aggressive tone and it changed the amps character to much for my liking. So hotter pickups are the answer/compromise for me.

LEVEL4 said:
Lou said:
jh_store.jpg

Do you only use that kind of pedal through the amp's clean channel? Or does it work nicely through the lead channel?

sorry I missed this.........ah yeah....can use in either although the sttings are quite different. I'd say I use the right side out of the clean channel and left with a little less boost with channel II

Latest posts

Back