What new tubes should I put in my Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escalates77

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a Dual Rectifier 3 Channel, and the tubes are gonna die soon, i can tell lol...so i was wondering what would be the best tubes to put in it, and i want to do it myself (i have no money right now, so i cant take it to the shop to get it retubed), it still has the original stock mesa tubes in it and i want to use a different kind of tubes. The style of music my band plays is like Rock/Alternative/Screamo so if that helps any. Any replies would be great. Thanks everyone, rock on!

Are you wanting to stick with 6L6's or are you interested in trying EL-34's in it?

A lot of people around here will recommend JJ's. Either 6L6's or EL-34's. I've been using EH EL-34's in my Dual Recto for a few years. The original 6L6's had only about 4 hours of use on them when I switched. I still have them in a box somewhere. I'm quite happy with the EH's. I've got great tone and not even a hint of trouble. But I may try JJ's next time I retube just to see if they're everything that the adverts say they are.

i'm not sure what kind of tubes i want yet, the overal tone i want though is a lot of gain (of course) and a lot of low end (thump) and nice high's for playing lead riffs

Visit or talk with Bob at Eurotubes.com! It sounds to me you may want to stick with the 6L6's! Just be sure to get them from a reputable dealer that will assure they're matched.

so 6L6's for the 2 rectifier tubes...what about the other tubes, and what about preamp tubes...do i or should i replace them too?

No, a quad of 6L6 Power Tubes! Yes, you could also replace all of the pre-amp tubes! And, though Rectifier Tubes generally only need repalcing every two or three years, you could replace them with some highly recommended GZ34's! Call Eurotubes and get a complete re-tube kit!

Tonite's tube-swapping ordeal (gotta quit reading the "other" forum!)

Started with all JJ: ECC803 in V1, Hi-gain 83S's in the rest, GZ34 recs, 6L6GC power.

Tried in V1: Mesa "Russian2" (sovtek), EH, SPAX7, GT Mullard clone, Hi-gain JJ 83S. Put the 803 back and tried several combinations of same tubes in other slots.

Power: JJ, Mesa STR 430 and 454, SED, stock 5U4 recto's.

Ended up putting it all back the way it was and wondering why I second-guess myself...at least got some good practice.

Bottom line Rectos like JJ tubes. Try 'em you'll like 'em...if you dont, I'm sure someone around here will gladly take them off your hands.

Latest posts

Back