What kinds of music are you guys playing with your Mark V's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really gassing for a Mark V.
What kinds of music/tones are you guys playing with yours?
What FX are you using with yours?
What guitars?

We play just about everything, including some Rush, Sevendust, Zappa, Van Halen, etc.
I use mostly humbucker guitars. 3 PRS's and an Epiphone 7 string V.

Just trying to figure out what kinds of tones I can get out of it! The nearest one is in Albuquerque, which is 200 miles away, so I want to make sure I do as much research as I can before heading up there!

Put Tung Sol 12AX7's in the MKV. Using mesa heads only. Have two 2x12 cabs, Egnater Tourmaster C80s, Marshall GT75s. Effects are MXR delay pedal and Vox Wah pedal.

Use MKV alone for Dire Straits via USA 100% stock Strat. Gets a nice early DS sound. Does Gypsy minor scale tasty licks with just a hint of breakup in CH1 w/gain low.

Music Man JP6 mag pup or Piezo for Pat Metheny/Larry Carlton bluezy to jazz. Gibson SG CH1 with gain up halfway for slightly breaking new country Keith Urban leads on Stupid Boy.

Early 70s SG w/Dimarzio pups for Sabbath/Frank Marino/early Rush/Tull Aqualung era rock in Ch1 Tweed gain & master cranked

For a newer Metallica tone JP6 or ESP Skully, (JP6 is far superior guitar) along with old single REC Series 2 for depth/grind, MKV on CH2 IIC+ gain at noon. MKV gives about 70% of total volume. Back the volume off a touch on the guitar and it fades into a decent Foo Fighters vibe.

JP6 thru MKV ch 3 MKIV mode gain cranked, REC gain cranked to taste for Killswitch/1000 Foot Crutch/and sick covers of Rob Zombie Living Dead Girl/Dragula off Music to Strip By.

I also like the REC tone, MKV does most everything but a REC. I have been gassing to get a decent set of EL34's to have for the V since so many here love the sound. The V is pretty verstile stock, $120 in tubes and you have a different vibe you can switch back and forth to. With the V I have 70% of what I want covered, add the REC, and I can get in the thicker stuff. Using C80s and GT75 Celestions. I am very picky about tone. I am pretty satsfied wih the MKV. I don't think you can go wrong with the MKV.

I have the head, with a Recto 2x12 (V30s), a 3/4 back 2x12 (C90s), and an Express 23 1x12 (C90). I use the 3/4 2x12 90% of the time.

As for guitars, my current "go-to" is a Michael Rowan Texas Twister with a Duncan JB/Jazz set in it, with a '90 PRS Custom as a close #2.

Effects... Oh boy... Right now I have a GSP 1101 in four-cable, but I also have a pedalboard with a Tonebone Classic, ModFactor, TimeFactor, TC Nova Drive, and TC Nova Reverb.

As far as what tones it is capable of, it can do just about anything if you take the time to familiarize yourself with the nine modes and how the tone controls work with each. You can get Fenderish cleans, a decent Marshally crunch, the obvious Mark series "vocal" lead tone, which are the three that I use the most, which is why I mentioned them. I have had this amp for a few months and I still haven't really scratched the surface of what it is capable of!

American Tele and Strat. Les Paul Studio

Line 6 M13, Catalinbread Silverkiss, Ernie Volume, MXR MIcro Amp

Mesa Vertical 2x12

Metal, Ambient, Praise and Worship.

mainly metal, metalcore, or death metal/deathcore current band uses 7 strings detuned pretty heavy tones i can get from the mark iv setting. two 4x12 peavey 6505 cabs stripped out modded with foam and loadded with emeneice texas heats and swamp thangs in a "x" pattern. Channel 2 i have nailed my old vht pittbull cl100 tone which is pretty rad because i sold that for the mark v.

Main guitar is a JP6 with piezo, but I also have a Carvin with piezo and a seven string.

I play metal and shred mostly, and spend most of my time on Mark IV mode on channel 3. I keep it set for rhythm guitar. When I want to use it for leads, I use my neck pickup and kick on the effects loop. (I keep a TC Electronic Reverb, Hardwire delay, and MXR stereo chorus in there. The chorus is very subtle.)

I use channel 2 "crunch" with the gain up for Extreme and Van Halen. I add a boost or crank the gain for early Megadeth. I turn the gain down for AC/DC or classic rock.

I use channel 1 fat for most cleans. Tweed for blues or classic rock.

Between pickup choices, boosts, and the various modes, I can get most sounds I hear in my head.

JP6, US Strat, '95 Les Paul, LTD C-tuning

Metal and blues

Metal is in the iic+ mode and lately no eq - seems very organic and responsive

Channel 2 mark 1 mode with bass and mid off and gain at 11:00, killer for bluesy stuff and eq off - very responsive and organic too

Channel 1 for clean or tweed - very fun with the strat

Using stock Combo (might actually try el34's today) and sometimes use 112 recto cab with the LTD for recording metal

Use Tim pedal for boost on solos, dd-3 in the loop and fuzz factory when i'm feeling crazy

Heritage Softail said:
Put Tung Sol 12AX7's in the MKV. Using mesa heads only. Have two 2x12 cabs, Egnater Tourmaster C80s, Marshall GT75s. Effects are MXR delay pedal and Vox Wah pedal.

Use MKV alone for Dire Straits via USA 100% stock Strat. Gets a nice early DS sound. Does Gypsy minor scale tasty licks with just a hint of breakup in CH1 w/gain low.

Music Man JP6 mag pup or Piezo for Pat Metheny/Larry Carlton bluezy to jazz. Gibson SG CH1 with gain up halfway for slightly breaking new country Keith Urban leads on Stupid Boy.

Early 70s SG w/Dimarzio pups for Sabbath/Frank Marino/early Rush/Tull Aqualung era rock in Ch1 Tweed gain & master cranked

For a newer Metallica tone JP6 or ESP Skully, (JP6 is far superior guitar) along with old single REC Series 2 for depth/grind, MKV on CH2 IIC+ gain at noon. MKV gives about 70% of total volume. Back the volume off a touch on the guitar and it fades into a decent Foo Fighters vibe.

JP6 thru MKV ch 3 MKIV mode gain cranked, REC gain cranked to taste for Killswitch/1000 Foot Crutch/and sick covers of Rob Zombie Living Dead Girl/Dragula off Music to Strip By.

I also like the REC tone, MKV does most everything but a REC. I have been gassing to get a decent set of EL34's to have for the V since so many here love the sound. The V is pretty verstile stock, $120 in tubes and you have a different vibe you can switch back and forth to. With the V I have 70% of what I want covered, add the REC, and I can get in the thicker stuff. Using C80s and GT75 Celestions. I am very picky about tone. I am pretty satsfied wih the MKV. I don't think you can go wrong with the MKV.

How do the CL80's fair compared to the 75's or maybe V30's? For clean and high gain?

SteveO said:
I have the head, with a Recto 2x12 (V30s), a 3/4 back 2x12 (C90s), and an Express 23 1x12 (C90). I use the 3/4 2x12 90% of the time.

As for guitars, my current "go-to" is a Michael Rowan Texas Twister with a Duncan JB/Jazz set in it, with a '90 PRS Custom as a close #2.

Effects... Oh boy... Right now I have a GSP 1101 in four-cable, but I also have a pedalboard with a Tonebone Classic, ModFactor, TimeFactor, TC Nova Drive, and TC Nova Reverb.

As far as what tones it is capable of, it can do just about anything if you take the time to familiarize yourself with the nine modes and how the tone controls work with each. You can get Fenderish cleans, a decent Marshally crunch, the obvious Mark series "vocal" lead tone, which are the three that I use the most, which is why I mentioned them. I have had this amp for a few months and I still haven't really scratched the surface of what it is capable of!

Can you go into depth on how those cabs compare with the Mark V head?

Played my Tremoverb combo since '94 just a chorus up front and a wah. With the tone i got from the blues mode I never wanted effects to screw it up! Besides the FX loop blows! I normally play classic rock and top 40 with a little metal thrown in to. So after the reverb stopped working a few yrs ago(never used it much anyway) and a year ago I lost the Orange channel (LDR). Bought a Peavey JSX and dusted off the 4x12 loaded with 2 g75s and 2 private jacks that I swore I wasnt gonna haul around again but the amp wasnt what I wanted so I bought the Mark V head :mrgreen: . I play a '90 PRS custom, a Les Paul standard, a Music Man Silouette, a Carvin 7 string, a Hamer Phantom, a '82 Fender strat and my home made strat. Currently, I'm still playing top 40 (from Muse to Nickleback to Fallout boy)and some classic rock 2 nights a week. I also play in a Polka/oldies band in the summer. Gonna use the Mark V for that too! Just gonna change cabs for the approprate band and ROCK!!

Hendog said:
Heritage Softail said:
Put Tung Sol 12AX7's in the MKV. The V is pretty verstile stock, $120 in tubes and you have a different vibe you can switch back and forth to. With the V I have 70% of what I want covered, add the REC, and I can get in the thicker stuff. Using C80s and GT75 Celestions. I am very picky about tone. I am pretty satsfied wih the MKV. I don't think you can go wrong with the MKV.

How do the CL80's fair compared to the 75's or maybe V30's? For clean and high gain?

The standard G12T-75s are a bit thinner sounding to me. The Classic 80s are a tiny tad darker. So I use the G12T-75s to amp the Rectifier an the C80 cab for the MKV. The C80s cover the Mark voiced creamy leads better. The G12T's give the rec a little more cut. To my ears the two differently voiced heads are maximized with furthur polarizing speaker cabs. The mix of the two is that much more complimentary. I swapped the cabs and the REC still sounds good but a bit darker with the C80s. I did not like the MKV with the G12T's as much. They did not have quite the punch or that very slight smoothing of the leads. To be fair, the GT's are about 18 years old and have had the hell blasted out of them. They may have lost a little something for mid punch though.

Hendog said:
SteveO said:

Can you go into depth on how those cabs compare with the Mark V head?

The C90 cabs sound similar to each other, with a bit more oomph from the 2x12. The Recto cab is a bit tighter and more focused, but it's a bit harsher sounding to me. The open back and 3/4 back cabs are less focused, they tend to fill the room a bit better, and are a bit more mellow in tone.

Blues, classic rock, rock, R&B, soul, funk. I dabble in other styles as well. I haven't found anything that the MkV doesn't do well. Lovin' this amp!

Monsta-Tone said:
Hey SteveO,
Have you tried your V with the 3/4 back and Recto cab at the same time? I bet that would sound really thunderous!

No, because the Recto cab is wired in stereo right now. I need to pop the back off and put a jumper between the speakers. When I use it with the V I use two cables from the cab into the two 8ohm outs on the head.

Mark V Head with SED Winged C 6L6s and Tungsol 12AX7

Channel 1 Clean, Channel 2 Crunch, Channel 3 Mark IV

Pair of Bogner 1x12 cubes

Pedal Board = Fulltone Wah, Fulltone OCD (For Slight Break Up in Channel 1), MXR Phase 90, H2O Liquid Chorus, TC Electronics Nova Delay

1976 Les Paul

We play 90s hard rock, Foo Fighters, STP, Chili Peppers, White Zombie, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Weezer, Velvet Revolver

Latest posts

Back