What kind of speaker would you recommend

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyg

Reaction score
Hey folks -

I have a Boogie Mark III (60watt) 1x12 combo presently housing a Delta-Pro12A speaker (I bought it new in 1986 and it had a Celestion 100 watt speaker installed instead of the EV). Since the metal on the back of the chassis has discolored a bit I can't make out the "stripe" color (possibly black or purple). I'm looking to replace the speaker Pro12A (nice warm/fat speaker) with something that is 1) lighter than this 22 lbs Pro12A, and 2) will help get those nice Fender cleans with some nice top-end chime and can handle the great Boogie overdrive (it's gotta cut). I use this with my EV-equipped Boogie 1x12 Thiele ported cabinet.

My style is post-war blues and 60's/70's rock. My tonal influnences include: Mike Bloomfiled, Robben Ford, Roy Buchanan, and Ritchie Blackmore.

Thanks for all information/help/advice in advance and I can post any additional info if needed.

Cheers!

tommyg

Spewnz said:
the c-90 would be a good bet in my opinion.
+1. IMO you can't go wrong wth that, especially coupled with the EV-loaded Thiele. I would also recommend an Eminence MS-12. These were stock speakers in some 80's Boogie combos; the EVM was the upgrade. I play similar styles as you and prefer it to my EVM for Blues/Classic Rock stuff with my 60 watt IIC. It adds a nice vintage flavor to my C+ with a hint of Marshall-style midrange bump. While not as crisp or boomy as the EVM, it compliments it well and is relatively neutral sounding. The C-90 will probably be easier to find and might be less spendy (recent MS-12 prices have been trending up).

I just received one today one and the double-boxed shipping weight with packaging was 18.7 pounds, so I'd guess they weigh around 16 pounds?

If you want a nice, bluesy, crunchy, or just great overall speaker, A Celestion Vintage 30 should suit you well. Very bright, and articulate high end. It's about a 60+ watt speaker, so your SRG won't burn it out. Also, check out Weber speakers. Handmade, good price, and they have something for everyone. tedweber.com.

Latest posts

Back