What is THE recto tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat O'brien....the heaviest Rectifier tone ever recorded by a long shot.

Bruno Petrucci said:
Hi guys!

Sad to notice that none of you know what's the REAL Rect(um) tone!!

Just go here, scroll down to the "buts" and hit each one to know what a real Rect(um) sounds like:

http://www.osvigaristas.com.br/animacoes/interativas/tipos-de-peidos-41.html

Have fun ;)

Wow. You're pathetic.

kick6 said:
Bruno Petrucci said:
Hi guys!

Sad to notice that none of you know what's the REAL Rect(um) tone!!

Just go here, scroll down to the "buts" and hit each one to know what a real Rect(um) sounds like:

http://www.osvigaristas.com.br/animacoes/interativas/tipos-de-peidos-41.html

Have fun ;)

Wow. You're pathetic.

:shock: :shock:

I can't believe that someone would post on "The Boogie Board" of all places that the Rectifier sounds like ***.

Dom

siggy14 said:
I highly doubt that recording is a two channel recto, I had Duel Recto S/N R0005 which was made on 2/28/92. That album was released on October 6th 1992, and that does not sound like a recto at all, although they could have maybe forced the sound with the right speaker, but after owning R0005 I can tell you it would pretty hard pressed to get that tone out of it.

If the album was released on 10/6/92 then more then likley it was recorded at least 6 months to 12 months before release date, which makes it a very tight squeeze from the time recto's went into production and the time they released their album.

I would say that amp is either some solodano or maybe the Peavy like sound garden used on there first album, or could be a marshall as you see old live video's of them with marshall cabs on stage. I do believe however they might have started touring with them at a later point.

Third Age Amps said:
My fav Two Channel DR tone is from Gruntruck. You can hear the thickness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk_hjsPE6T0

sounds recto to me

elvis said:
It's fun watching all y'all fight... errr... passionately advocate your opinions about this! Reminds me of when I was in a pub in Scotland, and everyone fought about which beer I should drink.

No fighting here, just thing siggy14 should stop making punk references because he obviously has no idea what he is talking about.

TFridgen said:
YellowJacket said:
Haha, I bought a Dual Rectifier because I played punk and saw a punk band using one!

+1 No Use for a Name did it for me!!!

+2, and I have to add the Foo Fighters to that. Nearly every song from them since the beginning has been on Rectifiers.

The intro Riff to Wheels I can only pull off properly on a Rectifier. And I have tried many other amps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIjxGY3Kok

Whatever dude, I have been in the music business for a long time, I was more then likley listening to punk before you, but I listened to old school punk back then, not pop punk which has embraced the rectifier tone which by the way I do love pop punk.

However it is nu-metal that became huge, I am talking radio play that got everyone hooked on the recto tone, groups like godsmack, Korn and Limp Bizkit, as well as Incubus all in the mid to late 90's.

Then when those bands got out of favor is when pop punk took over with the rectifier tone, such groups as no use for name have been around a long time, however they never got any major radio play till after Nu-Metal, same with bands like AFI, he used a rack rectifier up until early 2000's when he switched to marshalls.

If you want to be real specific, the first major band to have radio play that used rectifiers was candlebox (pre 500, why it doesnt sound typical) and not sound garden as some people think. Sound garden did not embrace rectifiers till after badmotorfigner which was recorded with a Peavey.

I am not trying to discredit punk bands, I am sure there were many and plenty that used rectifiers, I kinda got out of punk in the early to mid 90's, but like I said I stand by my statement, it was groups like godsmack, korn and limp that bought the rectifier tone to the masses.

So dont go trying to tell me I dont know music, I love all music, I listen to more styles then you can imagine and not only am I heavy into the music scene, but I am heavy into the guitars and amps etc.. I am not saying I am god when it comes to these things, but lets just say I have owned more rectifiers then you can imagine, and have been a huge fan of the sound and still love it to this day!

halfdriven said:
elvis said:
It's fun watching all y'all fight... errr... passionately advocate your opinions about this! Reminds me of when I was in a pub in Scotland, and everyone fought about which beer I should drink.

No fighting here, just thing siggy14 should stop making punk references because he obviously has no idea what he is talking about.

Sounds like siggy14 has quite a bit of knowledge and experience in the recto lineage, so I defer to his judgment!

The tough part is, we never really know for certain unless we were in the studio when the band was tracking. Sure the guitar player in "X" band saw the AE plug into the studio's rectifier half stack, and that's why he bought one for the road. But what he didn't see was the splitter box also going into a Mk IIC+ with a vintage boogie cab, and a modified 2204 going into two vintage Marshall cabs. Plus the 12 mics that were placed on everything.

I saw a picture of the guitar tracking setup from STP's "Core" sessions and there were at least two mics per cab, and there were four different kinds of cabs! Sure some of those tracks get deleted or unused, but the point is, what you may see live is merely a portion of what was laid down on tape.

I understand where these guys are coming from though, when I was younger my world focused only around my style of music, as I got older I started listening to everything and that is when my eyes opened up.

I have no doubt that there were punk bands using recto's as early as metal bands, my only point is the Nu-metal scene is what made the rect tone known to the rest of the world and then punk and rock bands continued carrying the flame after nu-metal fizzed out.

Third Age Amps said:
Sounds like siggy14 has quite a bit of knowledge and experience in the recto lineage, so I defer to his judgment!

The tough part is, we never really know for certain unless we were in the studio when the band was tracking. Sure the guitar player in "X" band saw the AE plug into the studio's rectifier half stack, and that's why he bought one for the road. But what he didn't see was the splitter box also going into a Mk IIC+ with a vintage boogie cab, and a modified 2204 going into two vintage Marshall cabs. Plus the 12 mics that were placed on everything.

I saw a picture of the guitar tracking setup from STP's "Core" sessions and there were at least two mics per cab, and there were four different kinds of cabs! Sure some of those tracks get deleted or unused, but the point is, what you may see live is merely a portion of what was laid down on tape.

No mention of early 311? Tim Mahoney did not have the typical Recto sound but I think it's prob one of the best. It's so fat and sounds like air pushing super hard.

Seeing the band Skillet live back in 2002-2003 is what really turned me on the the Recto and is what ultimately led to me purchasing a Triple Rec around that time. I believe they still use them to this day, I'm not into the current stuff that much but I do respect the fact that they have always stuck with rectifiers.

Here's decent video of them playing a few years ago, obviously the mix is polished but there are some definite moments where that recto sound cuts through. If I remember correctly for rhythm stuff they use a pretty dry recto sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMm7lT1DMks&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Third Age Amps said:

Spot on. Worrying about a specific revision of Recto someone used in a studio with all the post production, eq'ing, fx, mic choices, mic placement, amp blending, and mastering is ridiculous.
It's like worrying about what brand of pencil a writer uses.

So I finally saw what amp the guitar player in Gruntruck actually used and it was a Mark III! That makes me want to grab one!

Monster Magnet used Dual Rectifiers along with Marshalls and Fender Twins w/fuzz from "Dopes To Infinity" (1995) to "God Says No" (2001). They used them live and in the studio. Even though it's layered, I hear a definite Recto sound on: Dopes To Infinity, Look To Your Orb For The Warning, Third Alternative, Powertrip, Bummer, Atomic Clock, Silver Future, and Doomsday. I play all those songs, except Doomsday, and I can get the same sounds on my Dual. As a band who loves fuzz, they didn't bother dialing out the fuzzy sounds on their Rectos and used generous amounts of treble for some songs, but were more conservative on the presence.

Tangent: I've been transcribing their songs, so I'm really, really dialed in on them right now. The current tabs suck and I don't want beginners to get lost on songs a beginner should be able to play.

Just to add to the crap storm...

I like a mix of Marshall crunchy mids, or a Mark Series, mixed in with recto grind is verappeali g tithe metal ear. The difference is enough to create a more 3D wall of sound.

I have only owned a couple Rectos. I decent boost made them sound good. Right now an old Series 2 Single is working for me. Using a guitar with a Het Set, blending a cheap DSL100 and Songle Rec just sounds great. That elusive mix of complimentary tones. Split with ABY, delay in the DSL, Recto dry as a popcorn fart.

The Recto is such a perfect chugger it is hard to beat. Boost if you like. Mine has a nice clean channel with a tele and compressor.

For recto tone? I think Fluff has plenty of examples.

Chasing a studio tone is a bit of a waste of time for me. I'm happy to play out every few months and blast some party rock/metal. IMO the Recto kind of music is not all tone obsessive as much as Revolution obsessive. YMMV.

Either way, I don't think I will ever not have a recto in the man cave.

I did not know Candlebox used a Recto. Interesting.

Heritage Softail said:
I have only owned a couple Rectos. I decent boost made them sound good. Right now an old Series 2 Single is working for me. Using a guitar with a Het Set, blending a cheap DSL100 and Songle Rec just sounds great. That elusive mix of complimentary tones. Split with ABY, delay in the DSL, Recto dry as a popcorn fart.

I also use the Het Set in two of my guitars and they make my Dual scream. I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the LTD and it fucking tears it up, too. I don't boost either of them, as I like the sound I get. With the 4 Volts max output on the Het Set, a boost may be unnecessary.

Latest posts

Back