What is the "Mark V" tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Now that people have started recieving there Mark V', what is the "Mark V" specific tone?

I have watched a video today of a French guy interviewing the Mesa Rep at NAMM going through all the settings.

With each channel and every setting (except maybe the clean channel, can't remember on that one), he refered to a different Mark series amp that the setting was to emulate.

Even the extreme setting he said was Mark IV with the presence pushed.

Now please don't misunderstand. I think an amp that encapsulates all the classic Mark series settings is a steal at 2K. And it was very obvious to me just from the video that the clean kills anything I have heard from a Mark before (Atleast the reverb).

But I am curious, other then the possible exception of the cleans, does the Mark series offer something in the higher gain settings that is basically new, meaning Mark V specific. Basically something that the Mark VI would call the "Mark V tone".

Again, before any bricks are thrown, even if it is just a collection of all the previous marks, it is a ridicudous steal at 2K for that kind of versatility.

I am just curious about the "Mark V" tone.

After using this amp/combo for a couple of weeks now, I'd say it definitely has it's own sound. I'm finding that the tones this thing puts out are similar to my old Mesa amps, but not quite the same. In the lead modes, I'm getting sounds & tones I've never had before, and I like 'em! I've used a battery of different guitars, and am finding new life breathed into some of them with this amp.

It may be able to emulate some classic sounds, but it's still got its own voice, IMO. The more I play with it, the more I'm finding I like what I'm hearing.

MeZadude 8)

So I guess it would be better to say that the tones are "Based on" the older boogies.

Not exactly reproducing them.

primal said:
So I guess it would be better to say that the tones are "Based on" the older boogies.

It's all pretty subjective. I may hear things differently than others, etc. I have been using a Mark IV and a Mark IIc for the past 25 years. The Mark V's controls are set up differently from these other amps, plus the cabinet is a different size, and the speaker is a different type. So, to get an exact image of a previous amp is a tricky thing to state, as the tones I get out of the older amps are driven by the use of the contour controls on the amps, as well as their respective cabinets and speaker combinations. The controls on the Mark V are different, so getting an exact tone is probably a misnomer.

MeZa 8)

primal said:

That's exactly it. The amp is voiced to sound like those respective sounds but it is not the same amp. It is "Mark" inspired...every channel is inspired by the appropriate amp.

The cleans, better reverb, 10W single-ended option, and better 2nd channel would make it a superior amp to the MkIV as long as there were no issues with the amp. As far as I know it will be the first Mark that can run all EL-34's in the power section. That in itself could lead to some unique tones for the MkV. 8)

JOEY B. said:
As far as I know it will be the first Mark that can run all EL-34's in the power section. That in itself could lead to some unique tones for the MkV. 8)

Mark IV can take EL34 in the outer tubes. If you play class A like that it's all EL34 then.

No doubt none of the Mark series amp comes close to the features of the Mark 5.

primal said:
JOEY B. said:
As far as I know it will be the first Mark that can run all EL-34's in the power section. That in itself could lead to some unique tones for the MkV. 8)

Mark IV can take EL34 in the outer tubes. If you play class A like that it's all EL34 then.

No doubt none of the Mark series amp comes close to the features of the Mark 5.

How about all EL-34, pentode, 90 watts, Channel 2 crunch, Greenback loaded 4x12, and mucho volume. Can you see where I'm going with this? :twisted:

Latest posts

Back