What IS the difference between the RKI and the RKII ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieTHEjokeman

Reaction score
There's a guy in my area who is selling his Road King Series I for really cheap. I was thinking about getting the RKII before I saw his ad. What is the difference? On the website it says:

Improved Channel 1 & 2 now features CLEAN and FAT from our acclaimed LoneStar® - our best clean ever - along with incredible new TWEED and BRIT modes. These two channels alone make a mighty amplifier.

All New, All-Tube Reverb also from the LoneStar® is deeper, more lush and ambient and sticks tighter to the notes. Reverb control now rides in each Channel Strip.

Improved Effects Loops are both Series for seamless interfacing of processing

I'm just afraid that it suffered some sort of problems the way the Stiletto Series I has. If the above mentioned is all, I might consider it.

Dave Grohl uses Series I RK. I'm sure by now he's traded them in for Series II, but he ditched his Dual Rectifer/VoxAC30 set-up for a Road King.

There's nothing wrong with my Series I amp, except I don't like the cleans but compared to the cleans from the Bass 400 Plus, I think all guitar amps are pretty *****.

I love my Road King series I, I do have it for sale only so I can get a Road King series I head/cab setup.

The cleans are pretty good and can cover everything from Jazz, to country to on the verge of breakup. The tweed mode brings out the mids and compresses it a bit more, this is my clean sound. The brit mode is pretty classic rock sounding, if you try it out be sure to try the brit mode out with the gain at 100% AND the trebble at 100% and get ready for an AC/DC type of overdrive.

I'd love to hear a RK II/Roadster with the same settings so I could compare the two and see if it would be worth the upgrade for me. I'd also like to hear the cleans doing some country licks or some nice arpegiated chords and some heavy strumming.

Just because they upgradded the RK to a series II, doesn't mean that the series I is a bad amp or doesn't sound good.... it really does!!

check out what few clips I do have of the RK 1 at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com and see what you think.

tele_jas said:
I'd love to hear a RK II/Roadster with the same settings so I could compare the two and see if it would be worth the upgrade for me. I'd also like to hear the cleans doing some country licks or some nice arpegiated chords and some heavy strumming.

What settings exactly? I don't do country all that well, but I'll give it a shot on my Roadster.

I know this is a little off topic, but I love your display pic Fredster. I've kinda done the same thing for my band logo. Obviously it will have to change when we actually start printing CD covers and making money on our "art".
443130205_l.jpg

also here's a pic of my amp..

443093136_l.jpg

Naturally, I've been thinking over time... "what would I do with an Areola: Road King"

I'd pretty much just get them to take out all the silicone diodes, and it would be a Triple Rectifier. And also make it so it uses all 6L6s instead of the EL34s. Then the 'solo' boost would be a gain boost, instead of volume. 1 of the loops would be removed and it'd just be a parallel based loop which goes all the way to 100% (making it series). There would also be two pre-amps. A two channel one for the dirty channels (same as the old 2 channel Rectos) and one based upon the pre-amp of the 400 Plus. *sigh* i wish i was a bajillionaire. ....oh and I wouldn't need that "external switching" thing so I'd just get that taken out.

I think there is a RK series I 2x12 combo sitting at GC in San Marcos/Escondido if you really want to tinker around with one. It has been there for a few months now. I think the high used price is keeping people at bay. GC just wants too much for it. It is with the vintage stuff back by the bathrooms. It has casters installed too.

Latest posts

Back