What is it about the Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt_Core

Reaction score
My only Mesa amp has been my F-50 purchased last June. I love it but I keep reading the god-like threads about the Mark IV here and other forums.

What is it about the Mark IV that everyone loves? Was it just the perfect amp at the right time? Crazy versatility?

I know it doesn't compare to the F-50 but what are the differences. I'd like to learn more about it. Thanks!

be careful, I wrote some of those threads. I stand behind the MKIV having a great R1 and R3 but I'm sick of R2. The amp has a ton of options and power. it's a great amp IMHO. With all that said, mine is for sale. Really I think the problem is me not the amp, I wanted R2 to be my Marshall sound.

From someone that knows good Marshall tone, I can say that R2 will never replace a good Marshall. Knowing that, I accept R2 for what it is. I love the Lead channel and the cleans are nice on R1 too.

I think that the versatility of the Mark IV really helps the amp's popularity because you can tailor it to your own needs. This is not to say that the amp doesn't just sound good because it does. I love the tightness and articulate nature of the amp. At the same time, I love the Lead tone that you can get with it for soloing. The Lead channel also makes for one hell of a rhythm channel provided you aren't playing the deep rectifier type rhythms. So I would say that it is for a culmination of things that the Mark IV has become popular. I am sure that there are others here that would note other things about the amp that I have not even begun to talk about, ie. power modes, selectable voicing, eq, etc.

What i like the most in the MarkIV is its smoothness. About me, i really like ALL the 3 channel equally, the R2 is perfect to me, so is R1. The Lead channel is pure heaven !!!
I think it depends a lot with the Cab and speakers you use with the MarkIV, after having tried Marshall cabs (with Celestions G12T-75, V30's, G12H-30) Mesa Boogie open 1x12 Cab with EV, and Mesa Recto 2x12 and 4x12, i find the amp sounds at his best with the Recto Cabs with the V30's, the 2x12 is phenomenal, and the 4x12 is the Bomb.

jamme61 said:
I stand behind the MKIV having a great R1 and R3 but I'm sick of R2.
I disagree with you. I absolutely love R1 and R2, but I have a hard time getting the lead channel dialled in. If you don't play metal, but an alternative rock style (I can imagine blues also) and want a great crunch channel, R2 is perfect. The lead is too metal for me, so I usually use a fuzzbox or my diablo in combination with R1 or R2. Right now I have the lead set up as a second crunch channel.

Lt_Core said:
My only Mesa amp has been my F-50 purchased last June. I love it but I keep reading the god-like threads about the Mark IV here and other forums.

What is it about the Mark IV that everyone loves? Was it just the perfect amp at the right time? Crazy versatility?

I know it doesn't compare to the F-50 but what are the differences. I'd like to learn more about it. Thanks!

It's a proven design with only 1 revision from the original debut in 17 years.

It's a beast of an amp that for sure has frustrated some but if you can harness it there is alot to offer.

R2 is not what many hope it would be when they purchase a Mark IV.

When I bought mine I never assumed it could do a Marshallesque crunch out of the box so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

R2 is more like an extension of the clean channel, same base voicing but with some dirt added. Great for dirty blues type tones.....

Using an external overdrive/boost you can coax some more crunch oriented tones out of R2 however.

Antoine said:
i find the amp sounds at his best with the Recto Cabs with the V30's, the 2x12 is phenomenal, and the 4x12 is the Bomb.

I have a straight trad 4x12 that sounds pretty good. But I can see how it would benefit from the larger cab.

Lt_Core said:

For me, the F-30 I had just wasn't tight enough for the faster metal that I tend to play. This is where the Mark IV shines for me. Also, the 5-band EQ is what makes this amp so versatile. You can really tailor your sound with it.

I've gotten some pretty good sounds out of R2 as well as some pretty crappy ones. To get the good sounds from R2, I had to try different switch/push-pull settings than I had set for the lead channel. It's definitely not a Marshall, and I don't think it's meant to be.

Personally, I like the cleans on the F-series way better. The high end was just too shrieky on the lead channel with the coutour engaged. If the F-30 had an EQ, I probably would have held on to it a lot longer. I really liked the tone of that amp.

What is it that you're looking for that you can't find in the F-50?

I think the Mark IV is a great sounding and versatile amp. I got rid of most of my effects pedals and overdrive pedals when I got my MIV. R2 is a bit of a puzzle - especially if you want it to sound like a Marshall. That said, if you get the other channels set right the amp can cover a ton of sonic territory.

I am done shopping for amps for a very long time!!

This all sums up what I think of my Mark IV.. this is the amp I should have got instead of a Rectifier. Handles drop A tuning no problem, G standard even sounded pretty good. The 5 band EQ is the greatest feature on an amp, ever. Its got enough gain on tap and a beautiful voicing so that you don't even need to scoop the mids that much on the EQ. It totally kills in the mix, if you are playing gigs this is THE AMP that you can always get dialed right in for a perfect sound.

R2 isn't good on its own but its the only channel I use a boost on and that helps it a lot, definitely gets you into classic rock crunch territory.

Many great things have been said here (all of which are true), but for me, the number one thing I love about the Mark IV is its lead tone...Drop dead gorgeous!...I shall bow now... :lol:

Its all been pretty much said above my post but as far as the r2 thing I never really cared for it that much (except for blues) till I went with a different tube configuration (2) 6L6 (2) EL34. Now I really enjoy the r2 setting lends its self very well to classic rock and even find myself backing off on the gain. It does lend itself towards the Marshall type sound but as to how much that is users view. (With just the EL34’s on).
When you kick in the 6L6’s along with the 34’s it still lends itself toward the Marshall sound but with a much tighter bottom.

I'm useing the word "lends " allot to stress it is the users view.
I dont want to upset anyone it still does not sound "just like a Marshall"
but i perfer the sound over most Marshall's

Every informations said are very good here, but i think we have forgotten a crucial point : the guitar.
I use a Ernie Ball Music Man Axis (ex- EVH model) and with all the configuration i have (cab, speakers, guitar, pickups...) i have more than enough gain in RHY2, with the gain at 6, pulled out, EQ in, Presence pulled out at 6 and RHY2 Treble at 7, Full Power, Simul-Class and 4 6L6's.
I've got a very brown sound a la VH, so according to all the complaints about RHY2 i have readed here, it's surely because of the guitar, but about me, this RHY2 channel can go from dirty clean, to blues to very 70's Rock, even to Metal with the Presence pushed in, i love this f******g channel and i think more of the complaints come from very bad settings.
The MarkIV is truly a fantastic amp on all his 3 channels, for me, the Best there is by far...

i would have to agree with Antoine, the rhy2 on a mk iv is awsome set right... i can get it sweet strat heavy break up to full on tight metal rhy..it's very good at the tight sounds...i find that for lead sounds tridoe is the best ( more smooth ) and pentode for Heavy thick rhy ( becasue of the more bass and cruch.. ) try it next time you gig..you will be suprized

SETTING ARE THE KEY..

Bought my Mk IV in '92. Tried every combination of setting, tubes, OD boxes. Trust me, the Mk IV won't sound like a Marshall, it sounds like a Mk IV. A very good sound indeed! EL-34's on the outside sockets - Yellowjackets on the inside sockets - no Marshall. TS9, Fulltone whatever, any Boss box - no Marshall. So I built a 50 watt '67-'68 plexi clone. Now THATS a Marshall! No stompboxes or endless mods needed. All the crunch you need - all at the right frequencies.
When Mesa says R2 is the crunch channel, they didn't say the Marshall channel. All R2 is is a slightly different voiced R1 with dirt thrown on it.
Putting EL-34's in the outside sockets of a Mk VI just screws up the gorgeous clean tone on R1. If you can accept what a Mk VI really is - a radical extention of a blackface Fender - then you can find happiness with it.
It ain't ever gonna be a Marshall!

Scorch, you're rigth, if someone wanted a Marshall sound, then he should buy a Marshall, the Mesa Boogie MarkIV has it own sound and voicing, and it's what i like the most, this Mesa Mark sound.
However you can approach a Marshall sound, but take it for what it is, Approach only, and sure if you play both amp side by side you will hear huge differences, but the MarkIV is so versatile that you can find with RHY2 some Hard Rock 70's era tones... if you want exactly them, there's no other issue that buying a Plexi.
To each his own, i like the Mesa Boogie MarkIV better than any other amps i have heard or played, and i have played a lot, i want my MarkIV to give me his sounds because it's this voicing that i want and nothing else, and it's true for all his channels, including the so disputed RHY2.

Shep said:
SETTING ARE THE KEY..

Exactly!

I don't dislike R2, but I've found my normal settings for the lead channel don't give me the sound I want on R2. So I have to set the switches, etc. differently to get the desired sound, which puts a damper on channel switching between the two on the fly. But it's close enough.

I've found that I get a great classic rock sound with the EL34s on the outside running in class A.

All that aside, I still get a great sound no matter what channel I'm on. Long live the Mark IV!!!

I would have bought my MKIV if it only had the Lead channel! The amp is worth every cent paid for it if that's all you got! The R1 & R2 channels are bonus channels! And I have never heard a Marshall with a lead sound and tracking ability like it. Smooth and gorgeous! They need to put seat belts on the bar stools so the ladies don't slip off! Opps... That was bad! Hmmmm... but the point is..this amp will cause a problem in that regard. Definitely and indirect chick magnet! LMAO

Antoine said:
Every informations said are very good here, but i think we have forgotten a crucial point : the guitar.
I use a Ernie Ball Music Man Axis (ex- EVH model) and with all the configuration i have (cab, speakers, guitar, pickups...) i have more than enough gain in RHY2, with the gain at 6, pulled out, EQ in, Presence pulled out at 6 and RHY2 Treble at 7, Full Power, Simul-Class and 4 6L6's.
I've got a very brown sound a la VH, so according to all the complaints about RHY2 i have readed here, it's surely because of the guitar, but about me, this RHY2 channel can go from dirty clean, to blues to very 70's Rock, even to Metal with the Presence pushed in, i love this f******g channel and i think more of the complaints come from very bad settings.
The MarkIV is truly a fantastic amp on all his 3 channels, for me, the Best there is by far...
Hey can you post your Van Halen setting for the R2 channel?

Latest posts

Back