What is it about the Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R2 is one of the best "crunch" tones I've ever played with and it has the BEST lead character of ANY crunch tone I've used.

The other guitar player in my band has a JCM 800 and it sounds like a cow taking crap compared to R2 on my Mark IV. It cuts through the mix like butter without being ice picky on the ears. I'm not even including that you can kick in the EQ for the most over-the-top crunch tone EVER. I only do this when I need a nice boost (For example, doing the intro of "highway to hell" by ACDC). It really gives you the exta zing you need to go over the top when necessary.

Then you have R1 and Lead - The Mark IV is the best amp I've ever owned by far... It totally wastes every other amp.

I'm glad some of you guys are loving R2, because I think it's one step away from useless. I'm not trying to get a Marshall tone out of it, I've got 7 Marshalls, I don't need to get it from there. I'd just like to get a useful tone that doesn't sound like it's woofy or sterile sounding.

The clean and Lead channels are stellar though, and for a crunch tone, I MUCH prefer rolling back the gain on the lead tone, and using a clean boost for a little extra gain and kick for leads, than to use the R2 for crunch.

adrenaline junkie said:
I'm glad some of you guys are loving R2, because I think it's one step away from useless. I'm not trying to get a Marshall tone out of it, I've got 7 Marshalls, I don't need to get it from there. I'd just like to get a useful tone that doesn't sound like it's woofy or sterile sounding.

The clean and Lead channels are stellar though, and for a crunch tone, I MUCH prefer rolling back the gain on the lead tone, and using a clean boost for a little extra gain and kick for leads, than to use the R2 for crunch.

R2 is tricky to dial in but it's a bit much to call it useless. I can get a really great crunchy tone out of it. R2 seems to like unorthodox settings.. esp in the 5 band EQ.

the boogie is legend .
the lead channels combination of crunch and elasticity ,
the switchable eq , loop , tube modes, operating class and power scaling.
the Mark IV is like the classic cadillac , with quality and refinements that put it in a league of its own.

Let me chime in to say that R2 is all I use on my current gig, with the EQ as a lead boost. A Telecaster into a Visual Volume and a MicroVibe into the amp covers it. I clean it up from the volume knob on the guitar.

I finally got me aMKIV about two years ago. flashback to 1990. I get a studio pre because I was doing the rack thing. Then I go back to the boogie store for somehting a year later and the guy plugs me into the MKIV. I almos $h!t myself......well I was poor and I had my rack so I just kept it in the back of my head for 15 years until the opportunity presented itself.

Now I use my MKIV in a cover band for everything from elvis to ozzy.
R2 was a challenge for me at first but it is where I'm at most of the time now.

Drive 7 pulled mid 3-5 bass 3-5 treble 7 presence 4-5 not pulled.

That gets a pretty good mid gain crunch.

Scott

Hey that's pretty close to where I have settled my R2 for now. I am at 8 pulled-4-4-8-6/7 not pulled currently.

I've been dismayed at how many don't find the JuJu for R2. I think it has something to do with discovering the uncompressed dynamic range and sensitivity, also that it lends itself to real world playing levels better than practice volume maybe. And of course a lot to do with what kind of pickups and coil choices. I've been living in R2 for hundreds of songs and maybe that I don't expect it to emulate anything else but approach it as a true unique mark/boogie sound that stands on it's own.

Restless Rocks said:
I've been dismayed at how many don't find the JuJu for R2. I think it has something to do with discovering the uncompressed dynamic range and sensitivity, also that it lends itself to real world playing levels better than practice volume maybe. And of course a lot to do with what kind of pickups and coil choices. I've been living in R2 for hundreds of songs and maybe that I don't expect it to emulate anything else but approach it as a true unique mark/boogie sound that stands on it's own.

What kind of pickups and single coil's you use?

Latest posts

Back