what is good for Nu-Metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyHeeQing

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm Play MetalCore

I want buy Mesa Boogie Amps(Head and speak)

but i don't know which model is good

MarkIV,DUAL RECTIFIER or TRIPLE RECTIFIER some people say the three

model is best

but which is good for me?

THX anybody help 3Q

take a look around the Modern Amp section if you want a high gain boogie... there is plenty of information out there.

As far as other companies to look at i'd say VHT if you like the Unearth tones, ENGL for a Nevermore type tone, Diezel for your more Tool/newer Metallica type tones, and Peavey 5150/6505 for your In Flames type stuff.
Of course you have your Mesa Mark IV for the Lamb of God/Older Metallica type stuff or your Stiletto or Roadster for something more along the lines of Killswitch Engage.

+1 of the 6505 but they arent just used by in flames nearly every metalcore band one time or another has used a 5150 or 6505. Most bands use them with something they sound pretty good on thier own but blended is where they truely come alive.

I got a dual rec and play in a metalcore ish band and the sounds i get from that are stellar.

Go to guitar center or whatever store is near you and just play everyone thats what i did and the mesa was best for what i wanted the 6505 was a close second.

MetalMike said:
+1 of the 6505 but they arent just used by in flames nearly every metalcore band one time or another has used a 5150 or 6505. Most bands use them with something they sound pretty good on thier own but blended is where they truely come alive.

I got a dual rec and play in a metalcore ish band and the sounds i get from that are stellar.

Go to guitar center or whatever store is near you and just play everyone thats what i did and the mesa was best for what i wanted the 6505 was a close second.

yeah they are almost the staple of the metalcore realm.... almost every band in that scene has used a 5150/6505 or Recto at some point it seems. In Flames was the first one that came to mind.

When I played a Krank Rev amp it sounded wicked for metal. As I Lay dying and a lot of other wicked bands play krank.

andrewstcyr said:
When I played a Krank Rev amp it sounded wicked for metal. As I Lay dying and a lot of other wicked bands play krank.

to my ears krank=lost in the mix with a overly fizzy sound.

i'd say a roadster or roadking or a 5150/6505 would be the real way to go.

but i also agree with the hatred of nu-metal/metalcore, so what the hell do i know?

Didn't Nu-Metal die already? I mean metal now has solo's in it again... the whole point of Nu-Metal was no solos, just heavy riffs...

dmt said:
Didn't Nu-Metal die already? I mean metal now has solo's in it again... the whole point of Nu-Metal was no solos, just heavy riffs...

and the occasional hack trying to rap.

Ah, c'mon fellas! If the OP likes Nu-Metal then lets try to help instead of giving him hell...

That being said, IMO Mesa is not the best choice for Nu-Metal. I think you'd be happier with an Engl or Krank or the like. Mesas just don't have the saturation and compression that you need for such music. If you want a great amp for anything other than Nu-Metal then a Mesa is your best bet. I just think Mesas aren't cut out for the extreme thrash, nu-metal, chaos ensuing type of music. They have tons of gain on tap in most models but the gain is a bit more toneful (for lack of a better word) than Nu-Metal is known for. Make any sense?

Metallica used to be thrash and the Mark IIC+ and III etc was fie for them...

um, actually dual and triple rectos are used by ALOT of thrash/death/nu/black/speed metal bands. hell, alot of early thrash was done with marshalls which from my experience have less gain than a recto.

always thought that dual recto especially the 2 channel one was the original numetal amp.
tons of bass hard to dial in for leads cos who needs leads when you play in drop A tuning right?.

For your tastes I'd have to recommend a used Peavey XXX or Peavey 5150. They are great high gain amps and are reasonably priced on the used market ($700-ish for a head).

Also find any closed-back 4x12 and you'll be happy.

in the OP it says that he plays metalcore but it says Nu-metal in the title.

Personally I think those are different styles. Nu-metal was like Linkin Park's first album, Puddle of Mudd, Kid Rock, Korn, Incubus, System of a Down stuff like that...

Metalcore is like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, Every Time I Die, August Burns Red stuff like that!

Now as for amps...Rectifiers are great for both!

When Nu-metal first started...most of them had a Recto and they were using the standard recto cabs because of the huge low end they put out. So I definitely disagree with MusicManJP6 about mesa not being good for nu-metal. I feel like the Recto defined the nu-metal sound!

But there are tons of other metal bands using recto's and I feel like the recto is THE modern metal amplifier. The Recto is what the JCM 800 was during the 80's and the Plexi was during the 60's.

Turumbar82 said:
So I definitely disagree with MusicManJP6 about mesa not being good for nu-metal. I feel like the Recto defined the nu-metal sound!

exactly, Nu metal bands were pretty much all rectifier users. I think people are BLAMING Mesa for the Nu Metal sound......

Latest posts

Back