What head is this?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lex Luthier

Reaction score
I purchased this Mesa-Boogie head used from a friend of mine way back in 1987 or so. I noodled about with it but eventually put it in storage. Now that I'm getting back into my playing, I recently recovered it from mothballs. I forgot which model it is...can someone ID it? Here are some front & rear shots, and close-ups of an original power tube.

i1545673_DSCN0644.JPG

i1545674_DSCN0646.JPG

i1545675_DSCN0663.JPG

i1545676_DSCN0665.JPG

What tubes would you recommend for a smooth but aggressive tone? I don't want the "icepick in the forehead" thing...

If its been sitting for an extended time without being turned on from time to time,you should change the filter caps.They dry out over time and the condition is severe if the amp hasnt been used in a couple of years.Best not to even power the amp up unless you have a variac to bring it up slow.

JJ's all round if you want to make it alittle less bright.. i like JJ power tubes and Eh pre amp's.a good mix.the mullard reiusse''s are good too..talk to eurotube.com for the JJ's and you can pick EH's up off the ebay for a good price..

Latest posts

Back