What do you think of this comment?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyp

Reaction score
This is on HC, so keep that in mind. It may even be someone on this forum. I own an F50, and love it. Have'nt had any issues either. Mostly cocerned about the something is amiss statement.

Reliability : 1
I have been through 3 F-50's. Why? Because I love the tone. Why 3? Because this is one lousy, undependable amp.

Amp 1: lasted one gig. During the first song, it decided to start crackling and popping for about 4 songs. Then it rumbled and crackled the next time I turned it on. Swapped out all tubes--same problem. Exchanged for amp #2.

Amp 2: Worked fine for about a year, then died on stage. Repaired, and worked fine for 5 months, now back in the shop.

Amp 3: Picked it up as a "back up" to amp 2 for a low price as Mesa has discontinued this line...hmmm...it lasted 20 minutes in the rehearsal studio and began making all sorts of noises. Tech (former Mesa employee) can't figure out what's wrong, and when he called Mesa, they admitted that there's something amiss with the F series and that they don't know exactly the mod to fix it.

Stay away from this amp. It's not worth the money and aggravation.

I would say that is some very bad luck!!! I know a few players that use the F series (at least 2 players for each model) and have heard nothing but good things about them. I haven't played one myself, but have heard plenty, and one guy I know will only play his F100 combo and he's had it for a few years with no problems, I don't think he's ever swapped the tubes in it either because he doesn't want to lose his tone. I would say take the comments with a grain of salt, some players just have bad luck with certain amps, or they don't like them so they bash every little thing they can about it (look at some of the comments from people that don't understand the rectifier series on these forums).

I seen a review on musicians friend that said the 6505 (5150) had "no distortion at all" WTF? :roll:

Bro, that guy had a very whack run of bad luck, almost to the point where I wanna see receipts and documented proof of frickin THREE F50's GOING BAD. Come on! Something is amiss, indeed. A good friend of mine has owned an F50 for about 2 years now. He has gigged extensively with it and rehearsed weekly with it. Never had a prob. I bought my F30 because of the great recommendation he gave me, and the great tone and reliability...

Dude, I just sent my F100 back for the FIFTH TIME for repair! Needless to say, I'm none too pleased.

I was looking to get rid of it, but the store I purchased it new from was offering an absolutely ridiculously low price for it.

Bah.

Great sounding amps, when they work right.

Yeah, just wondering about the validity of the "something is amis and they dont know how to correct it" statement. Mine has been fine and it's going on 2 years.

I've only had my F-50 for seven months, but it's been fine. It developed a loud pop when putting it into standby a couple of weeks after I got it. The cause turned out to be that the PCB was flexed a bit when it was installed and a couple of traces eventually separated. Mesa customer service was great to work with, they took care of the whole thing for me. The amp has been rock-solid ever since.

ran_dizolph said:
Dude, I just sent my F100 back for the FIFTH TIME for repair! Needless to say, I'm none too pleased.

I was looking to get rid of it, but the store I purchased it new from was offering an absolutely ridiculously low price for it.

Bah.

DANG! hope the 5th time is the charm...

I can buy the 1 amp being a lemon but when I read..."I'm on my 53rd Mesa megaamp and the speaker keeps popping out" 2 things come quickly to mind.....1st LIAR....and 2nd, it's his fault. For all you know the guy is playing his amp near a sprinkler system or puts the amp on without a speaker load.

ran_dizolph said:

Bah.

I have to say guys upon reading these posts here

I really do think it may be down to the guy who is running the amp!!!

Mesa's are complicated...all of them no matter what series and no matter what anyone says these aint no Marshall!!!!!

3 F series is a joke but 5 repair jobs,man thats serious

I mean it might be that you have had a bad run with that series but with mesa's QC thats something of a miracle

I have been using mesa's for almost ten years and I have had no problem with either my nomad 100 or dual rec and my friend has had his F100 for years and only had to change tubes when ever he feels the amp needs it

just my opinion

Back