What do you guys think?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPIndustrie

Reaction score
Hey.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. If you remember, I recently bought a brand new F-50. Now, I have the oppurtunity to return it and get a used 3-chan Dual Recto head for around the same price. First off, do you guys think thats a better idea?

I played the F-50 at practice yesterday (1 x 12" combo, no cab) - and I had to blast it to around 6-7 to be heard. I'm sure the Dual Recto could overcome that.

Now, heres the problem - I can't really afford a cab right now, however we do have an older Fender Twin Reverb where we practice. The twin is around 80 Watts, so I was thinking..

Pull 2 tubes in the Recto head to make it 50 watts - sit the head on top of the twin and use the speakers for it, for the time being until I can afford a cab

and - at home - get a THD hotplate/Koch LoadBox and just run the head thru headphones.

In addition - for gigs, use the house cabs.

Do you guys think thats a better idea? Would it cause harm to pull 2 of the tubes from the head? Thanks.

JPIndustrie said:
I played the F-50 at practice yesterday (1 x 12" combo, no cab) - and I had to blast it to around 6-7 to be heard.
If you have an F50 master on 7 and are still not heard you're probably all deaf. Everyone should play less loud.

up to you man,I love recto's so I would say defo the recto,Dont really like the F series but there clean channel would would destroy the rec's clean but as you said you want plenty of headroom so I would go for the recto as there is plenty of headroom and if you have a cabnet (amp with speakers) then you could use that for the time being and get a really decent cab in future!
Go with your instincts,go with the rec

hahaha

Not that I couldn't be heard - more like I didn't have enough headroom. Now, I'm thinking an external cab for the F-50 would prob fix the problem too.

However, I am curious to how a Dual recto would sound. Plus I've always wanted one after playing my friend's dual. :)

JPIndustrie said:
The twin is around 80 Watts, so I was thinking..
is it the amp or the speaker to be rated 80 watts? if you choose the option of playing your dual recto head through that speaker i would not crank it anyway, since power peaks could be much more than 50 watts.

I haven't had any problem being heard with my solo 50 head during practice.

Headroom has not been an issue though, because we aren't playing anything clean yet! :oops: :lol:

Can you run the F50 through the Twins' speaker(s)?

I would make a decision based on the amp's tone, rather than raw volume. The F-50 can get plenty loud. It was suggested that I turn down a few times and my volume wasn't as high as you had yours. You'll need to decide whether the F-50 fits your style of music, or if the dual rec is more your sound.

If you can't be heard, then either way you'll be looking at cabs. Using the Fender's speakers may or may not give you the tone that you want. Have you tried put the F-50 through it?

All the best, whichever way you go.

If you have an F50 master on 7 and are still not heard you're probably all deaf.[/quote]

HAHAHAHA!

What?

Pinweaver said:
JPIndustrie said:
I played the F-50 at practice yesterday (1 x 12" combo, no cab) - and I had to blast it to around 6-7 to be heard.
If you have an F50 master on 7 and are still not heard you're probably all deaf. Everyone should play less loud.

+1 Can't be heard? You should be :oops:

I know. I was very dissappointed at first. IT seemed like when I ran my efx through the efx loop - the volume was cut in half.

Took out the efx, noticeable jump in volume.

Not that I don't like the tone of the F-50 - it's just I feel I will probably end up selling the F-50 later on for something a little more advanced. I find myself a little hampered by the simple 2-channel layout. I was thinking of all the possibilities I could have with a 3-chan dual recto and want to try it out.

i agree, there should not be volume level problems here. When playing with the band it is always recommended to raise the presence and maybe the mids a bit to make your tone cut through. maybe it's only a settings problem

edit: if you play heavy stuff, lowering the gain a bit will help too cutting through

I think in this case I would have to say before you buy the Dual try lowering your mids and gain a little because the F50 should be plenty loud. It sounds more like you are not being heard because of where you are placing yourself in the mix because realistically you could gig with a 30 watt amp. If it is that you really just want the dual go for it. If you are not satified it will be difficult to learn to be happy with the settling for an amp that you don't consider to be the one. This kind of internal issue will show up in your playing. Just rememebr that as was noted above that with the Dual you will lack the cleans that the F has to offer. Something to keep in mind is that it isn't necessarily all in your amp as far as diversity goes. Many great bands and songs were played with single channel amps. In fact, it is very possible to still do this if you get setup correctly so don't feel hampered by your two channel setup.

I've came to the conclusion, that while the F-50 is loud enough and sounds great - maybe I might just return it and look for a dual recto to try out.

Playing my friends dual recto, I was extremely blown away by the tone, sounded alot better than the single recto (IMO) rect-o-verb I bought.

I don't know yet. lol. It's so hard to buy only one!

Latest posts

Back