What do you do without the "Solo" function

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox5150

Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently play a Lonestar Special (which I love) but have been hankering after a 6L6 based amp for a very long time and from what I've read, heard and demoed the ED is the amp for me. However, one thing I noticed is the lack of a "Solo" function which I have grown quite accustomed to on my LSS. So then, those that have got an ED, what are you using as a boost for solos?

I have a variety of pedals that have permanent place on my pedalboard that could fulfil this function, just intrigued to know what everyone else is using, or maybe even a special way of setting the amp.

Thanks!

I bought a BB plus to use with my ED- it should be here tuesday- I plan on setting one side as a straight up clean boost, and the other to throw the ED into mayhem-meltdown mode with high gain. If that doesn't work, I will check out a Zvex super hard on or a keeley katana...I agree that a solo button would have been a killer with this amp...

Laskyman said:
I bought a BB plus to use with my ED- it should be here tuesday- I plan on setting one side as a straight up clean boost, and the other to throw the ED into mayhem-meltdown mode with high gain.

I think you'll love this pedal, Edward, if that is what you plan to do with it! Let us know your thoughts and make us some clips if you are so inclined after dialing it in. Have fun!

How are you liking the EB Wah?

In hindsight I suppose I should have included this with my original post - I've got a Keeley Katana and a Paul Cochrane Tim pedal that I could use in some fashion for this. The Katana is a core part of my tone when I use a strat, I just love what it does to that particular instrument. The Tim pedal also forms part of my core tone in general with the LSS - of course, once I get the ED there's a really good chance that I won't need to use the Tim at all!

I have been experimenting with the LSS and not using the Solo feature (FX loop bypassed) and just using the Boost part of the Tim to get the volume boost. The only trouble with this is that you can only engage the boost feature when you've got the OD side of the pedal engaged.

There isn't any more room on my pedalboard for anything else, so I've got to figure something with what I've got!

Thanks for the responses so far!

:D

A wah (like the EB wah) that is capable of a fixed position could also enable you to cut through the mix if you needed- but is a little different than a clean boost- I am having a lot of fun with mine, but even more fun than a new wah are the new public betas for the Eventide factor pedals- new effects as well as enhancements to the already phenomenal FX.... Upgradable pedals- worth the investment....

Well, to the OP:

If you remove the Tim form your board, you'd have room for something 'solo boost' specific like an eq to run thru the loop. If all you're looking for is a bump in volume, running a boost thru the front of the amp will likely only increase gain saturation, unless you have the headroom for it. You probably already knew that. Still, my $.02 would be to run an eq (boost only) or a purpose made boost pedal ( I have a Creation Audio Lab MK 4.23... love it!) thru the loop to act as a solo boost switch.

I am also contemplating running my Line 6 M9 thru the loop, and in doing that can assign a scene as my lead sound, complete with a slight boost for solos. This would free up the MK4.23 to run into the front, for those occasions where I need LOTS of gain. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Latest posts

Back