What can I do to make me like my Dual Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the look of the DRs next to the Marks.
P6110453.jpg

lovely set up

waht option is that MKIV head

I mean the grill cloth,do you know how much extra this costs,
or tell me to f%&# off and mind my own business!!!! :)

Thanks man. It's a green tolex with gold grille. I bought the head cab for a cheap price $200 at HCAF.

Here's a close up pic
IMG_0239.jpg

visualrocker69 said:
VoodooChild24, how do you like the Holy Grail and the OCD?

JPIndustrie, I'm going to be selling my Mark IV widebody combo soon, if you're interested.

Hey man, I have owned a lot of OD pedals and have come to settle on the OCD. It really goes hand in hand with my amps. I recently bought a Catalinbread Silverkiss but my OCD is my favorite to date.

I already sold my Holy Grail. I didn't like it that much. It's noisy.

123thefirst said:
Now, I have to ask: when you come to roadblocks on your road to solid musicianship, will you always grab the next piece of gear that you think might suit your fancy and think that that will solve the problem by itself?

I'd guess there's a LOT more you could do with what you have before you exhaust The Recto's expressive possibilities. Have you, for instance, dropped the power down to 50 watts and really given that a worthy evaluation? I find that 4 power tubes is way too stiff a feeling. 2 power tubes bring a lot more life and organic, dynamic feeling in. Not that you wouldn't want that massive power sometimes, but why limit yourself to it?

The thing is if you buy a new very expensive piece of equipment, maybe even the top of the line, but only use 10% of its expressive capabilities, where are you gonna go next to find something that let's you grow a little more?

O I've done that. Just for fun. It sounded exactly like the Rect-o-verb 50 I bought, hated and returned for a new cab for the DR.

The thing is, I just don't like the increased breakup from a 50W amp. I love the headroom of a 100W amp.

Regarding your statement, I humbly disagree. I'm a firm believer that tone is in the fingers, not the amp. I'm gonna sound like myself through a Mark IV or a Dual Rectifier, or a Diezel Herbert, or a Bogner Uberschall. Not to say I think that you're making a connection between guitar skill and new gear, but I feel the Mark IV would simply be more useful at this time than a, IMO one-trick pony DR.

My main reason for selling the Dual Recto is because, I feel (1) the Mark IV is at least 3 times more versatile than the DR, (2) no matter what I do, a recto will sound like a recto, and I don't want to use the recto tone anymore, and (3) I just feel tonal quality of a Mark IV is imo, 'more suited' to what I believe I want to sound like.

I can dig it, but at time you might want that sound. I gave up trying to find one amp that will do it all. I like many of us had high hopes for the 4 channel amps, but there is nothing wrong with using two amps. I use a 4x12 traditional with a dual rec on one side and a duece on the other, and a simple a/b switch. I suppose I couild use a MKIV instead of one or the other. At times I just need, and our fans deserve, that roaring thunder that only a recto really delivers. I think you'll miss it. I did.

JPIndustrie said:
no matter what I do, a recto will sound like a recto, and I don't want to use the recto tone anymore

Yes, I hear that often enough in this forum and I want to understand better. I guess it's because you're addicted to extreme settings. I don't have a Recto myself, I use the Recto Pre-Amp in addition to assorted other amplifiers. But with the Recto Pre, speaker simulator, a good EQ, a suitable guitar, pickup, strings, technique, etc., I can reasonably closely nail just about any common pre-90's vintage tone. I have less interest in post 80's tones but even those pose no real challenge to evoke.

Maybe it's the lack of a really good clean channel? Or is that, as you raise the gain, the tone altering possibilities get rapidly reduced? (That must be remedied with outboard gear)

123thefirst said:
Yes, I hear that often enough in this forum and I want to understand better. I guess it's because you're addicted to extreme settings. I don't have a Recto myself, I use the Recto Pre-Amp in addition to assorted other amplifiers. But with the Recto Pre, speaker simulator, a good EQ, a suitable guitar, pickup, strings, technique, etc., I can reasonably closely nail just about any common pre-90's vintage tone. I have less interest in post 80's tones but even those pose no real challenge to evoke.

Maybe it's the lack of a really good clean channel? Or is that, as you raise the gain, the tone altering possibilities get rapidly reduced? (That must be remedied with outboard gear)

If you like the recto tone that's fine. I like it too, but the cleans leave so much to be desired, and the recto voicing is just not what I want. People may have got some great tones with a recto and some outboard gear, but I don't have access to much except the amp and the guitar. Again, I feel the sound is great for crushing rhythm tone, but sounds woefully farty when trying to achieve any sort of percussive, tight style.

My gain is never past 6 - I usually keep the treble up to 8 to get the maximum signal from the circuit (at least according to the manual).

Latest posts

Back