What can cause hum in DC-10?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update to my initial questions.

I took Monsta-Tone's recommendation, help and guidance, and replaced all the major capacitors in my DC-10. Now that I've done it I can say it's not too difficult but I was apprehensive dealing with a potentially lethal procedure. Parts from Mesa where only about $35.

Results: the hum is under control, still a little hum when turned up loud but nothing I'd consider unusual. A side benefit is, unless it's just wishful thinking, that the amp is more responsive and livelier. It sounded good before but I am totally thrilled now. I had no idea that capacitors would make any tonal difference. To me its kind of like when you have a guitar with some really old strings on it. You play all the time and it sounds good because you’re just used to the strings. Then you finally put on new strings and your guitar comes alive.

It could all be my imagination but I guess that’s okay. If I think it sounds better I play better. :D

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions.

I'm sure someone how knows will reply but I took it to mean that like on a car with a battery cable or alternator bolt that are loose you’re not going to have a good ground connection so maybe tightening up loose bolts could help. Certainly worth checking out before buying a new transformer or taking it to the shop.

Latest posts

Back