what cables is everyone using??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
camsna said:
Some guys swear that the plating makes a difference. To be honest - I'm not willing to to the research to find that out! But the nickel ones sound great.

There is NO difference in tone between the cable gauges. Zero.

You'll have to purchase the straight connectors separately. And they're pricey. The cable is about a buck a foot. The connectors are, like, 4 bucks each! But, if you're not going to be moving and swapping your stuff around, they sound great!

The Mogami is another way to go. I prefer it - actually - when used with a BRUGHT amp. The George L's are bright sounding cable due to their low capacitance. The Mogami is darker. But it'll take a lot more work doing the Mogami. Lots of soldering and you have to watch out for partial shorts against the conductive PVC layer.

Lots of options, man!

good stuff man.... i'm pretty set now on picking up the george l's kit with the 10 right angle jacks and a pack of the 12 straight ones from sameday music..... its gonna cost me about 120-130 but i think its worth it for doing my rig the right way..... i could go the cheap way and buy 12 hosa cables for like 60 bucks but who knows how thatll sound and how long those cables will last

jdurso said:
camsna said:
Some guys swear that the plating makes a difference. To be honest - I'm not willing to to the research to find that out! But the nickel ones sound great.

You'll have to purchase the straight connectors separately. And they're pricey. The cable is about a buck a foot. The connectors are, like, 4 bucks each! But, if you're not going to be moving and swapping your stuff around, they sound great!

The Mogami is another way to go. I prefer it - actually - when used with a BRUGHT amp. The George L's are bright sounding cable due to their low capacitance. The Mogami is darker. But it'll take a lot more work doing the Mogami. Lots of soldering and you have to watch out for partial shorts against the conductive PVC layer.

Lots of options, man!

good stuff man.... i'm pretty set now on picking up the george l's kit with the 10 right angle jacks and a pack of the 12 straight ones from sameday music..... its gonna cost me about 120-130 but i think its worth it for doing my rig the right way..... i could go the cheap way and buy 12 hosa cables for like 60 bucks but who knows how thatll sound and how long those cables will last

The BEST lesson I ever learned about sound - from my dad the engineer - "When it comes to cables. NEVER go budget!"

:)

Don't break the bank, but cheap-o cables are NEVER worth it! So you're doing it right! Just be sure to assemble the cables carefully and you'll be fine! George L's sound great! You MAY have to EQ some highs out to your liking. But it's a far greater thing to have too many and take some out than to not have enough!

I just bought a pack of George L's cable/ends to go along with my other prebuilt stuff.

Actually I just bought a pedalsnake (www.pedalsnake.com) with all the connectors, so it will be guitar->georgel->pedalboard (george l) -> pedalsnake -> amplifier

I didn't ever have problems with the right angle Ls ends. Just push the **** out of them and clamp down. :)

I also have some monster cables and I've never had any problem with them, but they are **** bulky and I don't think their patch cables are useful at all, since you need at least 1" between pedals, and the cables themselves are stiff enough to move a tubescreamer type pedal.

I really like my Core X2 cables. I have a Monster cable that's alright, but the Core X2 just seem very tough and reliable. Reasonably priced too. Never had a problem with one yet. I use the instrument and speaker Core X2's. They do have kits too. Never tried the kits though.

camsna said:
jdurso said:
camsna said:

Lots of options, man!

The BEST lesson I ever learned about sound - from my dad the engineer - "When it comes to cables. NEVER go budget!"

:)

Don't break the bank, but cheap-o cables are NEVER worth it! So you're doing it right! Just be sure to assemble the cables carefully and you'll be fine! George L's sound great! You MAY have to EQ some highs out to your liking. But it's a far greater thing to have too many and take some out than to not have enough!

yeah i mean i have so many extra cables lying around that are either shot or **** close to it.... if i were to add up all the money i spent on those its well over $200.... so getting great cables that will do exactly what i wnat and not retract from my tone is worth the $130 especially considering my amp is $2000, cabs total $1000, fx $400 (for now), and guitars $2500... and the rjm and midi controller are $650+ .....so whats another $130 for cables

The best cables I owned are a couple of PROCO DEFENDER but proco seems to have this product discontinued :(

I have a monster cable acou21 for my acoustic which is wonderful (very strong cable, build like a tank and sound amazing).

One of the best company actually is EVIDENCE AUDIO with the Lyric HG serie.

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd use Evidence.

http://www.lavacable.com/evidence%20audio%20cable.htm

see u

sebastien

Planet Waves for me. The only cables I like better are the Evidence Audio cables, but they are just too expensive.

I use Bill Lawrence cables for everything.

They're every bit the equal of (if not superior to) George L's.

MojoFilter said:
I use Bill Lawrence cables for everything.

They're every bit the equal of (if not superior to) George L's.

price is about the same too but he offers 50 ft of cable to george l's 10 :shock:

i just realized last night once i pulled the rg-16 out of the box and after doing some calculations i'm going to need something like 36 plugs in total if not more (20 straight, 16 right angle).... finding a package like that is going to be tough and pricey if i dont do it right..... any suggestions on dealers for either george l or bill lawrence? ive been searching for a place near NJ but it only seems liek these guys have online dealers

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/ has the parts!

i read a cable review on el34world.com and this is the guys store page.

I use em all

Mogami for my guitar to board, PW's for the board itself and monster prolinks for my loop and the output from board to amp.

I would like another mogami though. BTW Jdurso, my band banned me from stereo cabs lol

mono is good

jdurso said:
hey guys i appreciate all the great responses..... right now i'm really leaning towards the george l's because it seems the best "package" for the price.... mogami also looks intriguing but i'd have to buy the wire in bulk, find the right plugs and do a little soldering which isnt that big a deal but consider i can buy the george l's set for 60 on ebay and then hopefully get another 10 straight plugs from a george l dealer for another 50, i'll be able to get my setup going for around 110, which after checking out the 1' patch cables some of the mid to high end manufacturers put out i'll end up saving some $$..... anyone know if there are packages of george l's straight plugs out there? the site sells them in pairs but i'll need 10 to match the 10 right angle ones that come in the kit..... also does the silver, brass, and gold plating make that big a difference? does the gauge of wiring or the color make any tone difference either?

I pay no more than 25 to 30 dollars for my mogami cables.

right now im using proco thru my pedals and thru my rack...I have pwaves speaker cables on order (backordered :oops: ) and i just picked up the pwaves pedalboard kit i just havent had time to strip everything and build a new board yet... prob by the end of the year ill have all pwaves cables thru the whole setup :D

Radio Shack!
muttley.gif

Seriously, I prefer Monster, but the wiring and components in your pedals effect your tone a LOT more than the cables you use.

MrMason said:
Radio Shack!
muttley.gif

Seriously, I prefer Monster, but the wiring and components in your pedals effect your tone a LOT more than the cables you use.

I disagree. Unless the pedals are on or 'tone-suckers.' Cabling, although most don't realize it, is a big deal. Get the good stuff. Get it once. And be glad your tone is there.

camsna said:
MrMason said:
Radio Shack!
muttley.gif

I disagree. Unless the pedals are on or 'tone-suckers.' Cabling, although most don't realize it, is a big deal. Get the good stuff. Get it once. And be glad your tone is there.
I've used Monster for years, and I can switch to the cheapo stuff I have hanging on the wall and can't hear any difference whatsoever. Cable is made of Copper, regardless of the hype. Anything that says "gold" to get you to think it's better, it's basically just on the tips, which only really helps with corrosion. I like Monster because it has a lifetime warranty, but I don't hear the difference in tone.

Latest posts

Back