What cab for Rectos???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone. Thnx for the input I apreciate it alot. This is deffinatly the nicest forums I have ever been on. I am thinkin that I will prob go with a Marshall 4x12 cab. I can honestly say that I liked the way it sounded the best. I guess having the higher watt handling in the speakers and the smaller cab really makes the difference. So right now Marshall 4x12 is my 1st choice unless something drastically changes.

Hum

Humbility said:
I guess having the higher watt handling in the speakers and the smaller cab really makes the difference.
Hum

Not so much a power wattage thing actually as a speaker voicing, and cab construction difference.

Believe me, you arent going to get speaker distortion on a 280w cab with a single recto.

I use a H&K warp T cab(Not crappy Warp 7)
P1020470.jpg

Oversized like mesa oversized

2 Vin30 speakers at the top

2 100s speakers at bottom

Sound very good and with a excellent craftman ship

soild germany quality, try it, and it cost less than Mesa cab.[/img]

cool man. I have never heard of Warped cabs.
I have another question though. What kinda difference am I looking at between running a 16 ohm cab as apposed to an 8ohm cab...being that the SR will run 8 or 4 ohms respectivly. I know that 8ohms out into a 16 ohm cab is a safe mismatch but I am wondering what kind of sound and/or performance difference, if any, I will experience.

Humbility said:
I have another question though. What kinda difference am I looking at between running a 16 ohm cab as apposed to an 8ohm cab...being that the SR will run 8 or 4 ohms respectivly. I know that 8ohms out into a 16 ohm cab is a safe mismatch but I am wondering what kind of sound and/or performance difference, if any, I will experience.

Hey man, here is my 2 cents
I used to have a 5150 slant cab with my single recto, which is a 16ohm cab, I run a 8ohm out from head into 16ohm cab, it sounds just a bit "slack" and "Hollow", especially when use highgain settings. I believe the speaker in 5150 also contribute a bit to this result. Also the volume is bit low when using a 16ohm cab.

However, when later on I got my warp T cab, the improvement of my high gain tone is significant. its waay louder now, and waay more punch. the deepth of tone is improved, and single note is more clear. May be because of the V30's watt rating is higher.

And when I purchase that Warp cab, I also tried H&K WA30 cab(oversized and with 4 V30 in it), it is a 8ohm, sounds too dark to me, I don't know why, even darker than my previous 5150 cab, :(

try some H&K with greenback speakers(cc 412 A/B 25), I love them, may be you will love those too, which has very very tight bottom end (more tight than Warp T cab) and you can trust the H&K's quality.

Humbility said:

The Warped stuff is just a devision of Hughs and Ketner. Great amps, so Im sure the cabs are good too, cant say that on personal experience though.

As far as the mismatch goes, you can expect a slightly darker and smoother sound.

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on this thread...

But I run my Mesa's into Marshall 4X12's. (or if it's a smaller show, two Mesa 2X12's, but that's a diff. issue).

I'd tried the M/B 4X12 cabs, but the sound didn't justify the extra cost.

As for other cabs... I'd personally stay away from Peavey, Fender, Crate; etc.... They're partical board and shyte (IMO).

Stick with a "tried and true" company like Marshall or Mesa (or if you have the sheckels... Dr. Z, VHT, Bogner; etc.). Finger or Dove-tailed joint pine with a good, thick baffle, good wiring, solid corners, handles and casters.

Good luck brother...

Lance

Thnx lance for the info good advice. I tried a 5150 cab and found it to be a lil hollow like dongh1217 said earler. Not a fan here. I agree that the M/B cab is overpriced new. For now I am using this:

I am still leaning towards a Marshall though

Hum

lookslikemeband said:
As for other cabs... I'd personally stay away from Peavey, Fender, Crate; etc.... They're partical board and shyte (IMO).

Stick with a "tried and true" company like Marshall or Mesa (or if you have the sheckels... Dr. Z, VHT, Bogner; etc.). Finger or Dove-tailed joint pine with a good, thick baffle, good wiring, solid corners, handles and casters.

Good luck brother...

Lance

That isnt just your opinion, its a fact. They are made of cheap materials and sound like ****.

I couldnt agree more with your assesment of the "tried and true" either

wow, that Hiwatt cab looks really sweet. I got a question for you guys. I'm running my Rectoverb II head into my Avatar cab thats loaded with Eminence Wizards. sound really good but the cab has that huge oval port in the back almost making it an open back i guess.

used to stand right next to the amp with the cab on its side so that the head rested on top and adjust settings right there by the head and the wall...finally went across the room by my bed and sat right infront of it and it sounded like crap (i'm thinking all the bass and mids were going straight out the back) and it doesnt' sound that great recording atleast with the sm57 on the grill (rode ntk in the room sounds pretty good but lacks any low end uumph)

My cab came with an optional closed back, will this really tighten up the sound and make it more directional and recording friendly? Want to ask this first since i started taking screws off the open back and realized the screw holes aren't drilled on the closed back slab.

What can i expect tonal wise going from an open back to a closed?

StrykeBack said:
What can i expect tonal wise going from an open back to a closed?

quit simply a quicker, more focused and more prominent low end.
Be careful though, sometimes it can result in a flubbier low end with rectos if arent careful with your EQ.

Also, you might know this already, but did you know the low end response of open back cabs changes a lot depending on the room placement of the cab? Usually to keep it a bit stronger and more focused its good to keep the back of the cab usually near a wall. Some people also find nice sounds by putting them in a corner. This can be a problem for playing live though, as the layout of many stages just dont give you much room to play arround with this.

i've been playing my Dual through a Sunn 4x12 for the past few years, and am pretty happy with it. It's the Model T "re-issue" cab from the '90s, made by Fender. Seems to be very well-constucted, 13-ply birch (i believe, although for some odd reason the official specs seem to vary between 11 and 13?) all the way around, and weighs around 100 lbs. The low end sound of these things is quite impressive, as well. Looks classy too! i like the silver grille cloth, it kind of complements the diamond plating on the Recto. The only thing i don't really care for are the speakers, Celestion G12T-75s. They're certainly not bad, but they seem a little too mid-scooped for my tastes, especially with the Recto. i'll probably replace them with Vintage 30s, whenever i can afford to. Luckily, those cabs can be had for cheap enough (got mine for $300 used at Guitar Center), that replacing the speakers isn't too much.

Humbility said:
Thnx lance for the info good advice. I tried a 5150 cab and found it to be a lil hollow like dongh1217 said earler. Not a fan here. I agree that the M/B cab is overpriced new. For now I am using this:

I am still leaning towards a Marshall though

Hum

WOW, I've always loved the sound of the stock Fanes in Hiwatt cabinets. I can't even fathom how good a Mesa DR would sound going into one. Must be incredibly cool!

i use a marshall 1960 cab, sounds great and half the price of the mesa cabs

same here! Marshall 1960A, slightly modified inside with extra pieces of wood to make the cab a little more "stiff". (hope you understand what I mean :? )

B.R. Anders

That's too cool. The number of people that are piping in here just confirm the fact that there are a lot of Marshall cabs out there that can be gotten for really fantastic prices. Not only that, but they really sound great with just about anything that you plug into them.

actually the Hiwatt cab does sound really really nice with this head. Its the Single recto though not DR. But this is only a loaner just until I can find what I am looking for.

Hum

Marshall did invent the 4x12, so even though Im a general marshall hater (new ones anyway) I gotta give them some love.

The only other cabs out there Id honestly trade my 1960a for are MAYBE a VHT fat bottom, or a true vintage Marshall cab.

After having played the SR through the Hiwatt with Fanes in it at 2 diff practices with my band at stage volumes...I conclude that the Hiwatt (16 ohms) cab is very very muddy and not right for this head at all. I think I'll be trying the Marshall 4x12 next. Neone know if there is much a difference between Marshall 1960A cab and JCM 800 Cab??

Back