what are these "Stripes" you guys talk about?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnee

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what you guys are talking about when you refer to "black stripe" or "red Stripe" amps. It's probably already been asked a million times so a link to the answer would be appreciated if that is the case. Thanks.

hey Shawnee-welcome to the board
the search function in the upper right portion of your screen can be your guide for any questions that have been "asked a million times.."
here is a quick link to exactly what you are looking for: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html
these "boogie files", along with the "sticky" for "C+ Guide for Dummies" on the mark series forum, are de rigueur, or something like that! :)

Thank you very much lesterpaul! So the stripes are only on the Mark III's?
I have a black short chassis 100w Mark IIC with Reverb and EQ built in late 1983. I always thought that it was a C+ because there is a "+" in black marker above the power cord and sloppy "MB" initials below but I did the loop test and it must not be a +. Dang it! Anyway, the amp was my first peice of "pro" equipment and I picked it up from a guy in Waco Texas in late 1988. He sold it to buy the new ADA MP-1 preamp! Anyway, it has a sticker with "Drome Sound Music Store" Schenectady NY by the spare tube holder so they must have been the store who got it new. If anyone here catalogs amps feel free to ask questions and I will help out any way I can.

Shawnee said:
Anyway, it has a sticker with "Drome Sound Music Store" Schenectady NY by the spare tube holder so they must have been the store who got it new.

Wow!! Drome Sound is still kickin' right here in Schenectady, too! Weird how that amp got down into Waco, Texas! Awesome amp! The stripe variations (from black to green) on the Mark III have been a discussion for a long time. Some folks swear there is a variation in tone and some don't. I have 2 and they are quite different from each other. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 8)

~Nep~

Hahahaha. I sold my first Mark III (fully loaded simul) head in '89 to buy an ADA-MP1. Now at least I know there were two idiots in the world at the time; me and him! I remember when I traded it in for $500 and the sales guy said, "What are you going to buy?" After I excitedly said and ADA-MP1, he asked, "Why?". I answered because it has 128 channels. He asked if any of them were better than the 3 on this Boogie as he turned around with the head and didn't even wait for me to answer. I was immediately bummed!

I wondered if someone from NY would recognize that store. thanks for the post!
Yeah I picked the amp up from a guy named Steve who worked at a music store called Stringer. He was a cool guy and brought it up to the store for me to try out with my guitar (an 80's ibanez destroyer). I plugged in and was absolutely floored by that amp. I sold a USA Hamer guitar I had to get the money and never looked back!

We just had a boogie rep,Barry was his name, I recall, come in a local shop and do free boogie amp retubes for a store promotion..he told all of us there that the dots didnt mean too much and not to worry about them,stating that as long as you have for example, in a mkiv simul-2 red dot 6l6s and 2 red dot el 34s, that you want to match the color,no matter what color.....I didnt realize all the colors "idle" differently(like in the last post)--- thats cool too.....I..also am wondering if theres a way i can get my red stripe coli simul-classed?..... :D

Latest posts

Back