What are some of the best pedals (single or multi)?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiSeRY

Reaction score
So, I'm debating on making a pedal board and buying individual pedals or going with something like a POD XT/X3 live. Typically, I play post-hardcore/post-punk in a band that hardly uses any effects, but now I'm starting a second band that is more ethereal. That being said, right now I only have an MXR 10 band EQ and a Boss DD-3 going through the loop. I'd like to mess with some Flanges, Phasers, Tremolos, Tape Echos, etc....pretty much anything out there. I don't have the money for a G-Major or anything like that, at the moment (unfortunately). If the general consensus is that individual pedals would be better than something like a POD, can anyone suggest what some of the better pedals are out there?

I'm really only familiar with the Boss stuff, but I hear a lot of people on here talking about more "boutique" pedals and I've also heard the Line6 stomp boxes are pretty cool too.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Electro Harmonix Small Stone is a lovely phase shifter, if you're into that sort of thing. Very smooth sounding.

I've used lots of different pedals in the past and still have lots. I find there is only one true pedal needed and that is the MXR distortion+. If your band doesn't use much for effects this is perfect.I love it for metal I love it for punk rock I love it with the levels turned down for a slight overdrive. My pedal was passed down to me and is a true 70's pedal 9 volt only. A lot of people will disagree but it is all about personal taste. I have turned many people onto MXR and they will all never go back.

i only have pedals that affect sound in my train - wah -> distortion -> phaser -> delay.

after several distortion pedals - i went with the Boss DS-1 with the Keely Ultra/SEM mods. I like this a lot.

for delay - i went with the DD-20 because i wanted multiple pre-set timings. perfect and my favorite overall pedal ...

phaser - i use a boss here too - PH-2 ? i guess i should actually look tonight, but it sounds nice and has a unique tone for some leads.

sometimes when i blend delay and phaser ... pink floyd to the max ... i like that.

I dont use Boss pedals cause they are not true bypass. Im SUPER picky about that.

For a phase shift I use the Moog Moogerfooger 12 Stage Phaser. Beautiful

For Delay i use the T-Rex Replica. Awesome stuff
The Boss DD-6 is pretty cool though. Sounds too digital to me though.

For Overdrive: Fulltone: OCD/ Ibanez TS9 (modded for true Bypass)

Just an example for ya. i dont know how picky you are about Coloring of tone and stuff

A delay you might want to look at that is fairly cheap is the Danelectro PB&J pedal. Its kinda noisy but it sounds really fucking good, and thats not "just for what it is" it really is a badass analog delay. I got mine for like $40 on ebay i think.

Back