What 4x12 cab are you using for Dual Rectifier head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xedwinx206

Reaction score
im not sure if its 2 or 3 channel. wat cab do you guys recomend running it through? the guy im buying it from said a really good setup is a marshall 1960a or ax with 2 greenback speakers and 2 vintage 30s in an x pattern
thanks
edwin song

roadsterrig.jpg

i run my roadster through that w/ all c90's. its very thick and dark.

I posted this in your other Thread.

Stay away from the marshalls, very crappy built, one of the guys on the JCF forum just got a 1936 2x12 cab from them, and it is all MDF except the baffle, very cheaply made.

Look for the older JCM800 cabs if you want the marshall, but honestly I would look around for a boogie cab, but if not go with the Avatar cabs which are very well built.
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/G412%20SPECIAL.htm

thanks for the input guys. i tried out a recifier cab and a marshall 1960a cab today at guitar center. and i kind of liked the marshall better. anyone else running mesa head with marshall cab? i found a marshall 1960a on craigslist for $300 so i might go check it out. im gonna keep my options open on cabs, but i like the marshall cab more than the rectifier just personal preferance i guess.
thanks again
edwin song

Hey man, I run my Dual Recto through a Marshall 1960B Vintage 4x12. It's the straight front with stock Celestion v30s. I like it very much. I also have the standard 1960 Lead cab for my JCM800, and the Dual Recto sounds good there as well. Just different.

2 Marshall 1960 cabinets (A&B), both are loaded with Eminence Texas Heats. All Marshall cabinets post 1971 have an MDF back. The rest of the box will be Baltic birch and Pine solid wood. I can't vouch for the smaller sized Marshall's or the newer ones. Mine are from the 1982 Anniversary series, pre JCM800.

If you want a super stout cabinet look at Orange.

siggy14 said:
Stay away from the marshalls, very crappy built, one of the guys on the JCF forum just got a 1936 2x12 cab from them, and it is all MDF except the baffle, very cheaply made.

Yeah...except he's not asking about 2x12s.

Marshall 1960s are plywood, like they've always been. They're fine cabs, the only weak link is the plastic handles.

Mesa cabs are fine...they're a little heavier than Marshalls, and have better hardware. I think the traditionals (Stiletto, now) are the way to go, the standard (Rectifier) are boomy and muddy.

I have a traditional straight with the V30s and a slant with MC-90s. My TOV prefers the V30s and my Heartbreaker likes the Black Shadows.

I run my Tremoverb through the Recto "oversized' cab. I tried a Marshall and the Mesa "traditional" sized cabs, but I found the Standard one had the best balance. The others were pretty Mids focused. FWIW I play mostly indie rock so my tones are clean to a good overdrive sound (no thrash/deat metal like most Standard sized users).

AdmiralB said:
siggy14 said:

Marshall 1960s are plywood, like they've always been. They're fine cabs, the only weak link is the plastic handles.

Mesa cabs are fine...they're a little heavier than Marshalls, and have better hardware. I think the traditionals (Stiletto, now) are the way to go, the standard (Rectifier) are boomy and muddy.

I have a traditional straight with the V30s and a slant with MC-90s. My TOV prefers the V30s and my Heartbreaker likes the Black Shadows.

I could be wrong about this, but I thought that the Marshall 1960 cabs had a particle board back piece?

Marshall has been doing the back particle board peice forever, my 1978 Marshall cab has it.

Has anyone really taken apart a 1960 newer cab? Are we sure it is all plywood? I have also heard they are making the baffle out of MDF as well.

As to marshall cabs, one other down side, if you get the one where you can go in stereo, be carefull those switches are known to go bad after a few years and then you are screwed.

Johnson said:
AdmiralB said:
siggy14 said:

I could be wrong about this, but I thought that the Marshall 1960 cabs had a particle board back piece?

siggy14 said:
Marshall has been doing the back particle board peice forever, my 1978 Marshall cab has it.

Has anyone really taken apart a 1960 newer cab? Are we sure it is all plywood? I have also heard they are making the baffle out of MDF as well.

As to marshall cabs, one other down side, if you get the one where you can go in stereo, be carefull those switches are known to go bad after a few years and then you are screwed.

Johnson said:
AdmiralB said:

i've had my marshall 1960a since 1993 and it has that stereo switch. never had a problem with that cab other than it hurts my ears.

i keep thinking of pulling 2 of those speakers out of there and throwing in v30's tho...in a criss cross pattern. when i first got a dual recto a long time ago, i played through both cabs, the marshall and mesa standard and holy moly if that wasn't a sick mix of sound.

siggy14 said:

The most recent Marshall cab I've owned is a 425A (the purple Vintage Modern cabs) earlier this year, it's identical in construction to the old cabs except they use MDF as riser strips to space the grillecloth off the baffle, where they used to use ply. Otherwise, it's all plywood except for the backpanel which has been particleboard since about '72.

AFAIK all the Marshall cabs EXCEPT the 4x12s are indeed particle/MDF, including the baffles.

The stereo switch is fine up to 150W or so. More than that, and you MIGHT have problems. Joe Bonamassa says he goes through them regularly, but he's running two 100W+ heads into each cab, one per 'side'.

I run my early DR thur two JCM 800 series Marshall 4x12's (model 1982A) cabs that are loaded with the original Rola-Celestion G12-80's with the 444 speaker cones. They just Kill!!!, Way better than cabs loaded with V30's or 75's!

picked up a marshall 1960a 4x12 cab last night for $350 and frickin love it. i dont care what you guys say about marshalls being crappy i love the sound with my dual recto head.
thanks for helping
edwin song

Latest posts

Back