Whammy bar on a Gibson Flying V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogie1

Reaction score
Ok, here's my problem. I need a whammy bar for about 10 songs per gig. So for a year I have been buying and selling guitars, and nothing seems to feel or sound totally comfortable. The two guitars that I can play best and are best for high up the neck solos are my '61 RI SG and my '05 Faded Flying V. I know I wouldn't want to alter the SG. So I have been debating putting a locking tremelo on my V. I've come to realize that I like a wider neck and can play the Gibby necks with more precision. Does anybody have experience with adding a whammy bar to an SG or Flying V? If so, how much for the kit, and what brand? I definitely don't want a Bigsby.

www.stetsbar.com

Those require no routing of the guitar but it's non-locking. If you don't mind routing then you can go with a Kahler 2200 or 7200 series. It's a very small, simple rout that can be done for pretty cheap if you can't do it yourself and setting up a Kaher is a breeze. Good luck. The price for a 2200 is $329 and about a hundred less for the 7200. Go to kahlerusa.com for more infor.

+1 on the Kahler Pro....

They are really nice units and very stable when set up properly with a locking nut. Give it the same chance you would a Floyd by installing a Floyd locking nut.... You'll be blown away.

I always preferred Floyds but opted for the Kahler this time and I'm very impressed. You do need to go a few steps further than what Kahler tells you to do though.

1. The first must is a Floyd Locking Nut
2. (only for strat players) you MUST recess the entire unit 5mm into the body of the guitar and the saddles MUST have a 30 -35 degree angle happening.

Do these two things and you'll love it.

I owned a gibson flying vee.. had a Kahler installer (I thought it locked but who can remember?) I remember that the Guitar would go out of tune every time I used the whammy... I ended up trading it for another guitar.

Latest posts

Back